Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2359 2360 [2361] 2362 2363 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1649645 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35400 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:14 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35401 on: May 28, 2020, 01:56:57 AM »

Give it up, Beto...

Keep it up. This shit is more motivating than Biden.

Republicans underestimate the amount of anger out here.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35402 on: May 28, 2020, 02:17:08 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/opinions/unexpected-side-effect-less-medical-care-covid-19-welch-prasad/index.html

An interesting read about fewer surgeries, fewer ER visits, fewer (apparent) heart attacks, and more.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35403 on: May 28, 2020, 03:51:28 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-26/american-politics-is-now-democrats-vs-authoritarians?fbclid=IwAR2xGhzYeBLkP4gt2ZnCSib0Zm1xTPbgri1hnl_KQQI-en8Jo29K2Z-qQ74

Democrats vs. Authoritatians.

This discusses the new found respect for subpoenas that the GOP has found, among other things.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35404 on: May 28, 2020, 04:02:45 AM »

The study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.19.20105999v1.full.pdf

That’s going to cause a lot of republican legislators to have to leave their klan rallies early and return to their state capitals to work on laws banning the testing of sewage lest too much knowledge makes the human stock capital uppity.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35405 on: May 28, 2020, 04:12:47 AM »

Cant wait to see the Cabinet

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

I could see Mitt being offered something.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35406 on: May 28, 2020, 04:17:25 AM »

I was thinking about Repubs with resumes who might serve in a Biden-Dem administration. Like Sen Cohen (R-Me) did as Clinton's Sec of Defense. Mitt came to mind. I also wondered about Kasich, he strikes me as a quasi-independent conservative, but at heart pretty conservative, and he might have some lucrative lobbying opportunities coming up. The always moderate Susan Collins might be looking for a job come January 2021, but she might be waiting on something Mitch McConnell promised her. She might wait a long time.

Lindsey Graham might be considered for a cabinet postion, but I heard he'd be prefer and be more comfortable a closet than a cabinet.

I just don't get this line of thinking at all.
It's like semi-surrender or self-sabotage.
Hey, we won!  Winner take all!  So lets share some of it with the losers.
F* that thinking ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35407 on: May 28, 2020, 04:23:42 AM »

Our primary system sucks.   It usually fails to select the most qualified and visionary public servant.   Obama was a rare miracle, not the norm.
... I meant "miracle" in the sense that the primary process worked and chose the best person for the job.  I miss him terribly.

I thought Hillary was the right person in 2010, would have won due to the complete FUBAR W Bush had caused, and would have served two terms at least as effectively as O did.  And then Obama would have been more experienced, less infected with U of C think, had more connections/a bigger Rolodex -- and O would have stepped in off the bench and been able to rattle off another 2 terms.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35408 on: May 28, 2020, 04:56:06 AM »

During the SARS outbreak in 2003 there was a lot of to-do about finding the virus in raw sewage (mainly in HK) and whether that could be a possible transmission vector.
Which would be a disaster in slums outside many big cities in poor countries where basic sanitation isn't treated or even confined properly.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35409 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »

https://madison365.com/two-weeks-after-court-scraps-safer-at-home-wisconsin-sets-record-for-new-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths/?fbclid=IwAR2fuyP60Vf-WETmymO9iIctVFu36N63GN__DwC12iAMRb33mYSIcChaFRk

"wait and see," said Kid, ignoring the science and that we already had done the wait and see trick.''

Can we stop waiting, now that we've seen, and go back to wisdom?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35410 on: May 28, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »

The Republican "president" has created a nationwide debate about the wearing of masks despite their being unconditionally effective against the spread of an active deadly pathogen because he doesn't like how he looks in them. 

His Chief of Staff for the 2020 campaign was charged with campaign finance violations related to dark money groups, before marrying the boyfriend whose charges on cocaine possession brought those crimes to light.

He is now trying to regulate social media platforms (to protect the First Amendment!) despite having no legal basis of doing so because one of them, a private company lawfully executing its user rules, dared to put an exclamation-marked fact check on a couple of his tweets.

His Attorney General is continuing to pursue obvious politically motivated fishing expeditions by starting and publicly announcing investigations into the past administrations work without even the hint of a valid predicate.   

And as the United States passes 100,000 deaths due entirely to his own incompetence, he has said nothing to address a mourning nation while he tweets out multiple times about #obamagate.

But its the Democrats that should be embarrassed?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35411 on: May 28, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »

While you don't have to be, I will if he's not beaten.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35412 on: May 28, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »

While you don't have to be, I will if he's not beaten.

If Trump wins a second term every man woman and child in this country should be embarrassed.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35413 on: May 28, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »

What, exactly, is the predicate for all of these investigations? What is the alleged crime that has been committed, or threat to national security, based on facts? And if it is some kind of audit, why is it being conducted by political appointees instead of the IG?

I also continue to be confused with the standards: If Barr has complete freedom to just “investigate” anything he thinks seems wrong without predication, even if it involves Trump’s political opponent, and that’s legal, why would the same not apply to the DOJ under Obama?

Some excellent points by https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #35414 on: May 28, 2020, 09:41:28 AM »

Cant wait to see the Cabinet

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

I could see Mitt being offered something.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

Bo-I'm on Team America and still beleive there are a few Repubs who are not tainted by Corona-Trump-2016/20 who still put country ahead of party. But I may be wrong.

Given the contentious and overly partisan warfare Americans have waged on one another, IMO healing and listening and respecting the reasonable opinions from someone who moderately disagrees with you politically is a start and sends a moderate political message that can be understood by most Americans as an act of goodwill and non-partisan. There also may be areas of commonality re certain national policies where party affilliation is not critical to organizing and carrying out national policy.

The point is I'm not ruling out service to country because of party affiliation. I want smart patriots who understand and can administer and govern effectively. 

YMMV

If Americans continue on hyper-partisan politics us-vs them, blue v red etc, liberals v morons, it will get worse. So if handing out a cabinet position to a Repub or two, sends a non-partisan message, particularly early on in a new D-administration, why not? 

And offering Romney a position of trust would be a fuck-you to Trump.

That and tweaking kid was  the real point of my post.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:48:57 AM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 2359 2360 [2361] 2362 2363 ... 4288