Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 [3123] 3124 3125 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1636329 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46830 on: August 11, 2020, 01:45:24 PM »

Yet in the rush to paint all the protesters as Bible-burning zealots, few of the politicians or commentators who weighed in on the incident took the time to look into the story’s veracity, or to figure out that it had originated with a Kremlin-backed video news agency. And now, days later, the Portland Bible burnings appear to be one of the first viral Russian disinformation hits of the 2020 presidential campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/russia-disinformation-election-meddling.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

You have to wonder how much of the bullshit you hear about "Antifa" from Trump officials (like Barr, for example) is really just laundering of Russian disinformation.  Sick thing is that someone like Barr (or Cruz in this case) is in a position to know what is and isn't true, but he spreads it anyway.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46831 on: August 11, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany confirmed Monday afternoon that Trump would like to see college football "safely resume."

"A lot of these college athletes work their whole lives to get four years; sometimes they're redshirted an extra year if they're lucky. They work their whole lives for this moment, and he'd like to see them have a chance to live out their dreams," she added.

Not that I am surprised by it, but I am always struck by the total lack of acknowledged accountability in these statements.  Yes, there are tons of reasons why it is better for kids to go to school in-person.  Yes, it sucks that people can't work out at the gym, and that lock-downs exacerbate people's mental conditions. 

And Yes, I love college football and those student athletes absolutely should get the chance to live out their dreams.

So...why can't they, Kayleigh?

Trump and Co. want to do none of the hard work to contain the virus (has anyone seen that asshole in a mask since a made a big deal of it a month ago?) but then don't accept any of the responsibility when, huh, life can't just go back to normal in the middle of a pandemic.

You want to make an argument for restarting fall sports?  Figure out how it can be done safely, provide support for that, or just say the truth, that you don't give a shit how many more people get sick and/or die because it is important for Trump politically to project normalcy.

But don't feed us some bullshit about how student athletes should get the opportunity to live out their dreams.  Trump is the reason doing so is dangerous.

"Sometimes they're redshirted an extra year if they're lucky."

WTF is she talking about?! Why are they lucky to be redshirted?!

Extra year of eligibility to allow the player ahead of them move up and out.

I don't think that is even slightly a benefit for the students, just the universities.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46832 on: August 11, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »

Why has President Trump said nothing critical of China's new rules in Hong Kong?

Because he thinks the US benefits and he doesn't give a damn about what happens to the people there.

In another radio interview Tuesday, Trump seemed more focused on the potential upsides for the United States to the political crackdown in Hong Kong, which his government has decried.

"For years Hong Kong was making a lot of money that we could have been made that we could have been making in the New York Stock Exchange and our great exchanges," he told Clay Travis on Fox Sports Radio, adding later: "We gave tremendous incentives that cost us a fortune to keep Hong Kong viable and going, and now what we've done, I've ended everything, I've ended all of that. There is no incentive whatsoever. We're not sending money through incentives back down, we're going to make a lot more money because they're not going to be competitive."

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46833 on: August 11, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/health/covid-vaping-fda-lawmakers-letter-bn/index.html

re's how we got here 02:25
(CNN)In a letter to the US Food and Drug Administration, lawmakers are urging the agency to temporarily clear the market of all e-cigarettes for the duration of the coronavirus crisis.

The letter, sent to FDA commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn on Tuesday, makes this call based on emerging research that suggests vaping or using e-cigarettes can come with an increased risk of being diagnosed with Covid-19 and suffering symptoms.

"This is true in vapers as young as 13, which is particularly concerning, given that young people are increasingly driving the spread of COVID-19, threatening the health and safety of Americans of all ages," wrote Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL), chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform's Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, who sent the letter on behalf of the subcommittee.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46834 on: August 11, 2020, 02:27:50 PM »

Why has President Trump said nothing critical of China's new rules in Hong Kong?

Because he thinks the US benefits and he doesn't give a damn about what happens to the people there.

Well, that and that he wants China to manipulate the Soybean markets to help him get elected.  And then there are Ivanka's copyrights.  And who knows what other shady deals he has going.

But its Biden who has the "China Problem"...
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46836 on: August 11, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »

Kid complains about stupid CNN headlines from time to time, often with faulty reasoning.

But this headline from them is about as dumb as it gets w/o being factually wrong or having an error in the writing:

Biden could announce VP pick soon

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46837 on: August 11, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »

Yet in the rush to paint all the protesters as Bible-burning zealots, few of the politicians or commentators who weighed in on the incident took the time to look into the story’s veracity, or to figure out that it had originated with a Kremlin-backed video news agency. And now, days later, the Portland Bible burnings appear to be one of the first viral Russian disinformation hits of the 2020 presidential campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/russia-disinformation-election-meddling.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

You have to wonder how much of the bullshit you hear about "Antifa" from Trump officials (like Barr, for example) is really just laundering of Russian disinformation.  Sick thing is that someone like Barr (or Cruz in this case) is in a position to know what is and isn't true, but he spreads it anyway.

Ron Johnson is a Russian asset.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46838 on: August 11, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46839 on: August 11, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »

CNN:

"Biden has selected his running mate"

- yeah, we know.  FOX already told you.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46840 on: August 11, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »

CNN:

"Biden has selected his running mate"

- yeah, we know.  FOX already told you.

Who, Peter Doocey?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46841 on: August 11, 2020, 04:21:04 PM »

It’s official

When they announced Karine Jean-Pierre as VP candidate Chief of Staff I knew it would be Kamala Harris.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/01/protestor-grabs-microphone-kamala-harris-moveon-1349553

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46842 on: August 11, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »

I feel badly for Mike Pence

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46843 on: August 11, 2020, 04:27:39 PM »

Kind of... anti climactic.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46844 on: August 11, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »

Seemed the obvious and best choice.  I like it.

I think in terms of toughness and tartness and campaigning, she's a good counter-balance to Biden.  And of course there's the youth, gender and color balance as well.  And Kamala makes a nice contrast to Pence.

In policy terms, I'm not terribly excited.  But that's mostly due to centrist Biden, with Harris being somewhat a policy cipher.  I guess Harris blunts Trump attacks about Biden/Dems being anti-police.

I think this was the smart and somewhat obvious choice.  I was willing to drop money on Harris, but kiid never gave me the betting line ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 [3123] 3124 3125 ... 4288