Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4244 4245 [4246] 4247 4248 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1644610 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63675 on: January 19, 2021, 02:51:22 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/18/2010134/-Parler-Lives-Again

It’s gone from covert Russian op to overt Russian op, just like the rest of America’s conservative movement.

Red has mastered Russian whataboutism and bothsiderism to the point where they must now be considered his first language.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63676 on: January 19, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »

It's pretty clear you've never been a parent. How you've remained a husband is beyond me.

Stockholm syndrome
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #63677 on: January 19, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »

Two U.S. Army National Guard members are being removed from the security mission to secure Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration. A U.S. Army official and a senior U.S. intelligence official say the two National Guard members have been found to have ties to fringe right group militias.

No plot against Biden was found.

The Army official and the intelligence official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity due to Defense Department media regulations. They did not say what fringe group the Guard members belonged to or what unit they served in.

Contacted by the AP on Tuesday, the National Guard Bureau referred questions to the U.S. Secret Service and said, “Due to operational security, we do not discuss the process nor the outcome of the vetting process for military members supporting the inauguration.”

The Secret Service told the AP on Monday it would not comment on if any National Guard members had been pulled from securing the inauguration for operational security reasons.

- well done
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63678 on: January 19, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/asia/who-covid-review-panel-china-intl-hnk/index.html

WHO's and China's failures on COVID-19/coronavirus are explored by an independent panel.

I look forward to such a panel's looking at the US, too, along with many other places.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63679 on: January 19, 2021, 02:56:53 PM »

Far more polite than asking if you were repeatedly dropped on your head as a child.

<RIM SHOT>

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63680 on: January 19, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »

Any comments on the arrest of John Harris after the Capitol uprising?

You dont need a link for that

Yeah, I do.

I have found many John Harrises, but none arrested after the Capital attempted coup.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63682 on: January 19, 2021, 03:04:53 PM »

Get guns off the streets. Get them out of the hands of criminals, lunatics, right wing extremists, and other Rambo fantasy incels in Kid’s peer group.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #63683 on: January 19, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »

The Kid found a senseless shooting of an unarmed person who didn't fight back that he can really get upset about.   
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63684 on: January 19, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

http://baltimoretimes-online.com/news/2020/feb/07/martin-luther-king-they-love/

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King

I forgot. Larry doesn't do nuance.

So...who has argued here that MLK was not vilified and loathed by many?

If you make a statement, Larry, you should back it with facts. Barton did that for you with his post. You? Not so much.

But again, the point that was made in the Baltimore link you provided was a good one. Too often we idealize humans, and with great risk of poisoning the well from which wish to drink.

I do think for most Americans today is seen as a "black holiday".

Sad to say, but likely true for most Americans.

Even so, King's legacy plays out in different ways----just ask Kamala Harris on Wednesday. Or the new black Senator from Georgia.

Then again, don't ask the ADL, who is keenly aware of the actions and words and plans of Ya'll Quaeda. They aren't feeling the love from Americans today anymore than MLK did then.

Yeah...

What the fuck does she know?

She knows what she's been told. She's only 57.

Not sure why you'd miss the larger point other than for the convenience of avoiding real discussion.

Real discussion?

About some bullshit you feel the need to spread?

Fuck that.

My energies lie elsewhere.

Oh, so you think Ms. King had her finger on the pulse of America at age 4.

Yes, put your energies into making sense.

Do you think she remained four (She was five when her father was murdered) intellectually and emotionally?

I think she has a better handle on the history of her family than you.

Have a seat and let it go.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63685 on: January 19, 2021, 03:08:25 PM »

“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn."
- MLK

Starting to sound like the Black Hebrew Israelites.

They're a bunch of assholes but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63686 on: January 19, 2021, 03:13:15 PM »

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King

If you make a statement, Larry, you should back it with facts. Barton did that for you with his post. You? Not so much.

But again, the point that was made in the Baltimore link you provided was a good one. Too often we idealize humans, and with great risk of poisoning the well from which wish to drink.

Even so, King's legacy plays out in different ways----just ask Kamala Harris on Wednesday. Or the new black Senator from Georgia.

Then again, don't ask the ADL, who is keenly aware of the actions and words and plans of Ya'll Quaeda. They aren't feeling the love from Americans today anymore than MLK did then.

Yeah...

Not sure why you'd miss the larger point other than for the convenience of avoiding real discussion.

Real discussion?

Fuck that.

Do you think she remained four (She was five when her father was murdered) intellectually and emotionally?

So you agree that she knows what she's been told.

Good, we have an established fact.

You get a gold star for finally ceding the truth.

Take the rest of the day off.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63687 on: January 19, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »

Was he?

Yes.

Berniece King

Yeah...

Real discussion?

Fuck that.

So you agree that she knows what she's been told.

Good, we have an established fact.

You get a gold star for finally ceding the truth.

Take the rest of the day off.

Now that you've finished make sure you wash your hand.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:24:44 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63688 on: January 19, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »

Meanwhile, Josh Hawley blocking consideration of DHS nominee.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63689 on: January 19, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »

Memory lane:

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 4244 4245 [4246] 4247 4248 ... 4288