Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1642774 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #9765 on: February 12, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »

The latest Gallup Poll

69% expect their financial situation to improve over the next year
Optimism about finances over the next year is almost at a record-high level
50% say they are in better shape financially than a year ago

A little amusing when a poll says fifty percent say they are in better financial shape now.  What do the other fifty percent say?

Also amusing:  when something as vague as "optimism" is apparently so precisely quantified that we can speak of "record-high level" of it.  While we're here, what are the numbers on giddiness, qualms, and ennui?  I'm sure economists also chart those to arrive a longterm economic predictions and craft policies.

Twain's quote about statistics never fails its freshness test.

This is why its a "squirrel!"  As one data point amongst 100, maybe useful, but as a standalone measure of economic strength its completely useless.

I also found it funny that REDSTATEWARD cuts and pastes without providing a link.  You don't go down that rabbit hole, and you won't find that while the top approval rating may be near the top, there was actually a larger better-worse spread (66-11) in 2012 under Obama.  And that the actual record at 71% occurred in 1998 under Bill Clinton.  Useful context when the argument is that Trump has created a "boom economy" that is "unlike anything we have ever seen" in an attempt to justify the $1.5 Trillion in tax cuts for the rich (while many of the rest of us have actually seen our returns go down this year...)

Also won't head over to Gallup's approval ratings for his Trumpness: currently at 37%.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: February 12, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »

And while REDSTATEWARD posts a poll of everyday Americans and how confident they are in the economy, Wall Street analysts are not so confident:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/business/dealbook/stock-market-earnings-recession.html

Not posted as a standalone argument for our economic health, but I do think the first paragraph was notable; crediting Fed Reserve action for easing fears of a looming recession and not, you know, those $1.5 Trillion in tax cuts which were supposed to give us the greatest economy ever.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: February 12, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

The latest Gallup Poll

I also found it funny that REDSTATEWARD cuts and pastes without providing a link. 
Latest 'Gallup Poll" confuse you?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: February 12, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »

AMERICA FIRST!!!!

Lol.

Republicans get less money for the border than they did in the bipartisan Senate deal Trump shot down.

Nah

3 bil total

A little more than the "NOT ONE PENNY" Pelosi promised your side.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: February 12, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »

The latest Gallup Poll

A little amusing when a poll says fifty percent say they are in better financial shape now.  What do the other fifty percent say?

Also amusing:  when something as vague as "optimism" is apparently so precisely quantified that we can speak of "record-high level" of it.  While we're here, what are the numbers on giddiness, qualms, and ennui?  I'm sure economists also chart those to arrive a longterm economic predictions and craft policies.

Twain's quote about statistics never fails its freshness test.

This is why its a "squirrel!"  As one data point amongst 100, maybe useful, but as a standalone measure of economic strength its completely useless.

I also found it funny that REDSTATEWARD cuts and pastes without providing a link.  You don't go down that rabbit hole, and you won't find that while the top approval rating may be near the top, there was actually a larger better-worse spread (66-11) in 2012 under Obama.  And that the actual record at 71% occurred in 1998 under Bill Clinton.  Useful context when the argument is that Trump has created a "boom economy" that is "unlike anything we have ever seen" in an attempt to justify the $1.5 Trillion in tax cuts for the rich (while many of the rest of us have actually seen our returns go down this year...)

Also won't head over to Gallup's approval ratings for his Trumpness: currently at 37%.

And holding.

Always holds.  Funny.

And be sure those not chiming in strongly WILL vote again for Trump if you dont bring somebody impressive forward.

kidcarter8

• View Profile

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »

AMERICA FIRST!!!!

Lol.

Republicans get less money for the border than they did in the bipartisan Senate deal Trump shot down.

Nah

3 bil total

Correct number is $1.375 Billion for 55 miles of "Steel Bollard Fencing" ie. not a wall.  2018 bipartisan Senate compromise give $1.6 Billion for border barriers.  So Trump's fit and a record-long shutdown got him less.

And Pelosi said not one penny for a border wall.  If you buy that "fencing" can be defined as a wall, and not something that is already spanning hundreds of miles of our Southern border, then I bet you also think that the "Russia Thing" is over.

Oh wait...

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:38 PM »

Meanwhile.....

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

I like how kidcarter8 and REDSTATEWARD's go-to polling is the same (and only) firm that predicted that Republicans would comfortably hold on to the House in 2018.

Leave it to Trumpists to mess up what is the very point of polling.  If you are looking only for the one that tells you what you want to hear, what is it actually telling you?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: February 12, 2019, 02:53:49 PM »

And be sure those not chiming in strongly WILL vote again for Trump if you dont bring somebody impressive forward.

Mmm...I'd say a 59% disapproval rate shows some people chiming in strongly that they WILL NOT vote for Trump.  Similar to numbers we've seen in other polls:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/57-percent-of-voters-say-they-wont-support-trump-in-2020
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/05/trump-poll-2020-elections-1146160

I don't think that Trump's opponent will need to be "impressive" to win.  But I am sure there is zero chance of you conceding that he/she is, regardless.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: February 12, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »

AMERICA FIRST!!!!

Lol.

Nah

3 bil total

Correct number is $1.375 Billion for 55 miles of "Steel Bollard Fencing" ie. not a wall.  2018 bipartisan Senate compromise give $1.6 Billion for border barriers.  So Trump's fit and a record-long shutdown got him less.

And Pelosi said not one penny for a border wall.  If you buy that "fencing" can be defined as a wall, and not something that is already spanning hundreds of miles of our Southern border, then I bet you also think that the "Russia Thing" is over.

Oh wait...

3 bil is the total

Nancy loses, even if Trump does.  Losing while getting more barriers and surveillance and roads and lighting funded is not so bad.  And Dems that say Trump voters run away from him for not getting 5.7 or his initial vision of the wall are DAFT

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: February 12, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »

I don't think that Trump's opponent will need to be "impressive" to win.

Well, thsts just dumb

But I am sure there is zero chance of you conceding that he/she is, regardless.

On the contrary, I remarked just the other day how impressive I thought one of your charges is.  Sort of like Biden would have been in 2016

Heh.  Gotta bring forth the right name, as we had to (and didnt) the year McCain lost to Barry

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: February 12, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »

3 bil is the total

No.  Its not.

In his first comments since learning details of the deal, Mr. Trump said he would have to study it more before deciding what to do. The compromise includes just $1.375 billion for new fencing along the border, far short of the $5.7 billion he demanded for a wall — and less even than the deal that he rejected in December, triggering a 35-day partial government shutdown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/us/politics/border-wall-deal.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Nancy loses, even if Trump does.  Losing while getting more barriers and surveillance and roads and lighting funded is not so bad.  And Dems that say Trump voters run away from him for not getting 5.7 or his initial vision of the wall are DAFT

I know its important for you to think "Nancy loses" after she kicked Trump's ass so badly the last time, but outside of there being a smaller decrease in ICE beds than Democrats wanted, its hard to see how.  Democrats weren't against the building of some type of barriers (as I said, there was $1.8 Billion in the Senate bill last December) and certainly never came out against "surveillance and roads and lighting."  There will be money to address the humanitarian needs of migrants, and there is ZERO money that Trump can put toward his concrete wall.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: February 12, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »

And ZERO money from Mexico. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

a)  Its 3 bil total - for wall and other border security measures, which is what the 5.7 was for.

b)  the Senate bill that contained the 1.8 didn't designate one penny specifically for a wall (which is why Pelosi loved it)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: February 12, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »

And ZERO money from Mexico.

All money from Mexico goes into that pool from which THIS money comes.  I think they cal it the US Treasury.

Has money from Mexico increased or decreased under Trump?  What is foreseen through 2020?  2024?
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 4288