Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1614 1615 [1616] 1617 1618 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964223 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Damn
« Reply #24225 on: July 10, 2022, 06:08:39 PM »

Knicks playing with swagger.

Sims just made a spin and bounce move in the post that took my breath away.

McBride and Grimes decisive.  Quentin making a statement, with  18 .n the first half and a behind the back dish to Sims in the lane for a flush..

Peele has the makings of a tuff defender, Moreno and Jeffries and Hunt showing skill and tenacity, and whoever that white center is, he's plying tuff and smart.

Gonna be a competitive training camp
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:04:55 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #24226 on: July 10, 2022, 06:37:35 PM »

When I hear the Knicks are in talks, I think of World Wide Wes not Thibs. I do not see the Heat having anything in the Cam salary range we would want.

Detroit needs to get off its ass and file some paperwork already.

Reddish for Herro?

Fournier & Reddish for Duncan Robinson?

Meh

Fournier is better than D Rob.  No?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Depolying Our Depth [A Positive Pussy's Perspective]
« Reply #24227 on: July 10, 2022, 06:39:38 PM »

It looks like we have a guard rotation that knows what it is doing, can play with force, and hold up physically.

It also looks like Jules has slimmed down. Could this presage Jules and Obi lineups at PF and SF with Hartenstein possibly as a huge five out frontcourt?

I just hope we are good. Once we extend RJ, we will be expensive even in this league.

I'm with you.  And you might add, capable of facilitating, as are RJ, Fournier and IQ.  INTERESTING.  Hartenstein is a very adept facilitator, and even being a moody, talk to himself, take a step back motherfucker last season, Julius was still good for 20-10-5 a night.  Less pounding, more passing, quicker more decisive decisions, IT IS NOT BEYOND THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY.  Ditto RJ.

Thibs DID ACTUALLY try out Julius and Obi a few times in the last stanzas of 2021-22. 

The notion that Julius and Obi can't play together or play small ball 5, is suspect. 

Yes, Thibs likes big rim protectors, and injuries notwithstansing, we are pretty fucking deep at the 5. 

Given the surfeit of young, athletic players, and a lack of vets, creative ways of coming up with playing time for the likes of Obi and IQ and Cam need to be explored. 

Situational matchups, let alone finding playing time after Obi & IQ's eye opening final performances.  Cam as also coming on strong when he got hurt. 

Yes Yes, the defensive limitations of Julius and Obi. 

Still...

No reason Julius cannot play 5-4 with Obi.  Or vicea versa.  I mean, they are both Taj Gibson's size, and while obviously a more experienced players, but dig. 

Jericho [6'10" 245]
Taj [6'9", 235]
Obi [6'9", 220]
Julius [6'8" 250]
Cam [6'8" 218] 

Wayne Embry was 6'8" 240
Zelmo Beaty was 6'9" 225
Wes Unseld was 6'7" 245
Dave Cowens was 6'9" 230
Maurice Lucas [6'9" 215]
Draymond Green IS 6'6" 230, and often played/guarded the 5 spot. 

As for Obi at the 3, he might indeed be challenged to guard some small forwards, but that's a two way street, and they have to D up on him as well. 

Cam has the size and wingspan and athleticms not only to play SF but to double at PF and SG. 

Supect we will see Hartenstein get some minutes at the stretch 4, though those are Obi's minutes to win. 

We are deep, Deep, DEEP. 

DEEP enough, in fact, that when the Knicks waived TAJ, they were hoping/planning to bring him back on the vet's minimum, but Gibson thought he could get more minutes playing for the Wizards.  Kristaps is an IR in waiting, but Wiz just signed ex-Dukie/Hornets Vernon Carey [6'9", 270], and Daniel Gafford [6'9" 234, and who was a shot blocking machine in games against the Knicks].   

C: Robinson [24], Hartenstein [24], Sims [23]

PF: Randle [27], Toppin [24]

SF: Barrett [22], Reddish [22], Hunt [23]

SG: Fournier [29], Grimes [22], Quickley [23], Keels [18]

PG: Brunson [26], Rose [33], McBride [21]

The more I look at this roster, the more I like us going in to 2022-23. 

We all know that THIBS is STUBBORN. 

But TT ain't stupid.
Rose, Fournier, Randle and Brunson are our vets.  We have a cornocopia of young talent, with a year or two or three behind them, many capable of playing multiple positions, many capable of being serious defenders...

We have an interesting narrative going forward.   As you suggested, Julius would appear to be in incredible condition, and you've got to figure he wants to wash away the aroma of last season, and Thibs would seem to have the complementary pieces to help him get to his next level of maturity and growth, which as per RJ and Quentin and Deuce and Obi, irrespective of their minutes, is about being a defensive BEAST, and maxing out their FACILITATING skills. 

LET THE COMPETITION BEGIN

Nobody cares about ages.  Its contracts that matter.  If anything youth is a detriment.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Correction
« Reply #24228 on: July 10, 2022, 09:14:06 PM »

Nobody cares ChamAAco does not care about ages.  Its contracts that matter to ChamAAco.  If anything youth is a detriment in ChamAAcos view.

Ok, now it is accurate.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:30:16 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24229 on: July 10, 2022, 09:39:44 PM »

When I hear the Knicks are in talks, I think of World Wide Wes not Thibs. I do not see the Heat having anything in the Cam salary range we would want.

Detroit needs to get off its ass and file some paperwork already.

Reddish for Herro?

Fournier & Reddish for Duncan Robinson?

Meh

Fournier is better than D Rob.  No?

Of the three, Cam helps us the most.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24230 on: July 11, 2022, 01:43:36 AM »

http://hoopswire.com/2022-nba-free-agents/

I do not know how frequently this is updated, but they seem to be whittling down the list to those still available.

Looking at it, I do not see guys I would want filling out this roster ahead of Hunt and Jefferies. They get what we do, fit right in, and create energy plays. They will push anyone and everyone in practice. They are hungry. These are the exact qualities you want in your guys at the end of the bench.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24231 on: July 11, 2022, 09:15:53 AM »

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24232 on: July 11, 2022, 10:33:26 AM »

Not that teams sign free agents in an effort to make a splash. They do so in hopes that theyll improve, become a more complete version of themselves, or elevate. And while Brunson fits the first two requirements, his addition along with the signings of Isaiah Hartenstein and Mitchell Robinson doesnt exactly elevate the Knicks much beyond where they were last season. The chances that theyll be a better team, perhaps a playoff team in the Eastern Conference, are higher than they were last season. But as the conference grows more competitive by the season, the Knicks feel like theyre treading water. It may not be a recipe for moving backward, but its certainly not one that prioritizes moving forward.

This is rubbish.

https://theknickswall.com/knicks-free-agency-was-closer-belly-flop-than-splash/
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #24233 on: July 11, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »

Not that teams sign free agents in an effort to make a splash. They do so in hopes that theyll improve, become a more complete version of themselves, or elevate. And while Brunson fits the first two requirements, his addition along with the signings of Isaiah Hartenstein and Mitchell Robinson doesnt exactly elevate the Knicks much beyond where they were last season. The chances that theyll be a better team, perhaps a playoff team in the Eastern Conference, are higher than they were last season. But as the conference grows more competitive by the season, the Knicks feel like theyre treading water. It may not be a recipe for moving backward, but its certainly not one that prioritizes moving forward.

This is rubbish.

It is INDEED rubbish.

PS: I left Cleveland out of my Top 8 or so in the East.  Miss TAKE oversight.  They are really on the rise

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #24234 on: July 11, 2022, 01:59:09 PM »

This is rubbish.

Totally agree. I think the moves have been unusually deft.

I reckon we're going to be much stronger.

It's a question of team, the harmony of elements. My concern remains with Thibs and Randall. The latter is an exceptional talent...but the coach needs to put him in a position/system to win. Julius became a head case last year, and yeah, some of the responsibility for that falls on Thibs.   

It's not just players that have to continually improve. Coaches too.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24235 on: July 11, 2022, 02:50:16 PM »

We did it! The Burks and Noel trade to Detroit is complete.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24236 on: July 11, 2022, 03:56:38 PM »

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #24237 on: July 11, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24238 on: July 11, 2022, 05:58:33 PM »

Undrafted

Hard to imagine.

chipstern

• View Profile
Some Observations [Knicks v Blazers]
« Reply #24239 on: July 12, 2022, 01:58:49 PM »

Jericho Sims

Uber athletic, with otherworldly bounce.  He competes, and has clearly worked on his body as well.  In terms of his game, he appears to have concentrated on his faciltating skils [4 assists last night], advancing the ball up court to initiate the offense, even breaking out some promising offensive moves in the paint.  He was only Knick last night with a + number.  He is a presence in the paint defensively, and had 11 rebounds. 

All traits of his athleticism and big boy body. 

Free throw shooting is not a subset of athleticism.  His FT shooting is, if possible, even worse than Mitchell's.  Last season he got to the line 29 times, and only converted 12 [.414%]. 

Against the Warriors, he was 2-3; the Bulls, 1-5.  Last night against the Blazers, 0-3.  His minutes going forward in 2022-23 will be impacted as much by what he does well, as what he does poorly.  His progress has been impressive, and clearly he is a worker bee.  This will be an interesting, ongoing narrative.

Grimes needs to work on his FT shooting as well.  As much as he has worked on his game in terms of getting to the rack, this is part and parcel of being a starter, and an area wree Fournier trumps him, though Grimes' D is his hold card. 

Thibs' Fingerprints

Well, for the most part, our team and individual defense in the three summer league games has been tenacious and focused.  We were dominating as such against the Blazers in the first quarter last night. 

However, the Blazers kept chipping away, and as the game progressed, displayed more energy and coherence and efficiency, while   

THIS PARTICULAR STAT, though, Is CONCERNING. 

Blazers were 30-62 from the floor, and converted 10-24 3-pointers, while exerting dominance on    the boards, 49-30, to particular effect in the fourth quarter when they put us away. 

Knicks were 29-76 from the floor, while converting only 11-41 3-pointers. 

I'm a big McBride booster, and his defensive inteisty and focus is stellar.  He is more decisive on offense, but he has yet to prove conclusively that he can break down the D and get to the rack consistently, which is an area of strength for both Brunson AND Rose, and an area where IQ has made progress. 

But while Deuce and Grimes and this new kid Keels clearly have 3-point range, that 2021-22 Thibs signature offense of falling back on threes, Threes, and MORE THREES is disquieting. 

Having Brunson and a healthy Rose penetrating offers the promise of opening up cutting lanes for the likes of Barrett and Randle, Fournier and Grimes, Reddish and Quickley, Toppin and Hartenstein. 

IT IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF OUR EVOLTUION AS A TEAM. 

Watching the Warriors kids last Friday night, they clearly reflected Steve Kerr's signature offensive sets, which evince lots of motion and cutters, lost of cutting. 

This default fall back on the ball moving around the horn, and hoisting threes, is not encouraging.  We have too much athleticism to not move on from this.  OF COURSE, a three point threat is a big part of the modern NBA offense, but seeing a dimnant physical specimen such as Julius Randle camped out 25 feet from the hoop seems to not address his strengths...

ANYWAY...

Having said all that, an identifiable defensive culture appears to be evolving apace, while our offense is still hit or miss, depending on whether or not the fruit is falling. 
Pages: 1 ... 1614 1615 [1616] 1617 1618 ... 1851