Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 2793

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 655093 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2220 on: February 20, 2021, 02:38:59 AM »

So you have sub-zero weather knocking out power, and I read a few reports about people worried about their food spoiling.  And one mention of someone's refrigerated insulin possibly going bad.

Can't people improvise at all?

Wrap up whatever is in your freezer and put it outside in a closed plastic container or tied plastic bag. Set some cups and/or containers outside filled with water, bring them in after a while and you have plenty of ice to keep your frig/freezer cold.

It's too cold that my refrigerator doesn't work and my food goes bad seems pretty foolish.

And then there's people lighting BBQ's inside for heat.  How dumb are these people?
You can boil water in large pots on your stove for some extra heat if the gas is still working.
Turn it down to very low boil.  And set a mechanical timer (egg timer/over timer), so you check on them every 20 mins or so.  But at least then you are dealing with a controlled fire in a safe space.

Also, folks in TX probably don't do a great job of winterizing.  Check for window and door leaks.  Especially the bottom of doors.  You can just stick your fingers near the window to feel for cold air, whcih is more noticeable if you wet your finger first.  Incense works well, as you can see the smoke get blown off course by leaky windows/door cracks.  Can place a towel at the base of a door.  Use wide packing tape to seal any leaky windows.  Small stuff helps.  Especially as you want to prevent having leaks/wind coming in from two sides, as that will create a flow pathway that will suck more cold in.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 20, 2021, 02:49:54 AM »

That’s assuming your walls are built worth a crap. There are basically no building standards that are enforced.

By the way, speaking of yellow snow, does anyone know where I have to go to piss on Rush Limbaugh’s grave?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 20, 2021, 03:16:38 AM »

So you have sub-zero weather knocking out power, and I read a few reports about people worried about their food spoiling.  And one mention of someone's refrigerated insulin possibly going bad.

Wrap up whatever is in your freezer and put it outside in a closed plastic container or tied plastic bag. Set some cups and/or containers outside filled with water, bring them in after a while and you have plenty of ice to keep your frig/freezer cold.

It's too cold that my refrigerator doesn't work and my food goes bad seems pretty foolish.

And then there's people lighting BBQ's inside for heat.  How dumb are these people?
You can boil water in large pots on your stove for some extra heat if the gas is still working.
Turn it down to very low boil.  And set a mechanical timer (egg timer/over timer), so you check on them every 20 mins or so.  But at least then you are dealing with a controlled fire in a safe space.

Also, folks in TX probably don't do a great job of winterizing.  Check for window and door leaks.  Especially the bottom of doors.  You can just stick your fingers near the window to feel for cold air, whcih is more noticeable if you wet your finger first.  Incense works well, as you can see the smoke get blown off course by leaky windows/door cracks.  Can place a towel at the base of a door.  Use wide packing tape to seal any leaky windows.  Small stuff helps.  Especially as you want to prevent having leaks/wind coming in from two sides, as that will create a flow pathway that will suck more cold in.

Obviously the BBQ folk didn't know.
Not everyone knows everything.
One has to know everything these days though, or bad things can happen.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 20, 2021, 04:47:29 AM »

No problem for northerners.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 20, 2021, 06:51:29 AM »

Guns allowed in some state capitol buildings.
When folks are discussing politics and debating laws it's absurd to have random memebers of the public in the gallery armed.

MI where armed protesters broke into the capitol and there was a plot to kidnap the governor, they've banned open carry of guns, you just have to have them concealed.  Very reassuring.

https://apnews.com/article/states-split-gun-politics-capitols-9903608d536405dc2c9620cf3def7147

This stuff is just totally nuts.  Gun rights way way out of hand.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #2226 on: February 20, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »

People are scooping snow up in pots, melting it and hopefully boiling it before use, and cursing their state government for allowing their infrastructure to fall into such a deplorable condition.

Watch out where the huskies go...    

Maybe all this anger will transform into a political shakeup and revamp of ERCOT.   I think this is one fuckup people are going to remember for a while.   Speaking as a Dakotan,  I'll say that freezing your tits off focuses the mind wonderfully. 

barton

« Reply #2227 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55959133

Cancel culture or protecting persons with disabilities?  My take is that most disabled don't want this kind of protection.   And that comedy will always be transgressive.   Imagine "In Bruges" minus the dwarf jokes.   

barton

« Reply #2228 on: February 20, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »

Wrap up whatever is in your freezer and put it outside in a closed plastic container or tied plastic bag....

Had same reaction.  And some reports were of people doing just that.  But too many lack common sense and the ability to improvise.   And the proportion seems to rise,  the warmer the climate. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 20, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »

I saw this elsewhere and it made my laugh.

And its probably true

if TX renamed the power grid Universal Texas Electric Reliability and Utility System aka UTERUS, they’d regulate it!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 20, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

About those terrible fossil fuels.

California is mandating new homes be all electric.
So when the winds start fires and plants sending out electricity are shut down
what’s  the plan?
Diesel powered generators!
What did Biden send to Texas to help when wind turbines threw the power grid out of whack?
Diesel powered generators!
In New York Cuomo nixed pipelines to carry cheap natural gas from Pennsylvania to his state that has the highest electric rates in the  continental US.
When blackouts happen power plants will switch to, wait for it, OIL!
Meanwhile thousands of New Yorkers took matters in their own hands and are heating their homes with oil much dirtier than natural gas!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:32:12 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 20, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »

We’re still cleaning up all those solar and wind spills so the byproducts don’t contaminate our soil and drinking water.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 20, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »

Wrap up whatever is in your freezer and put it outside in a closed plastic container or tied plastic bag....

Had same reaction.  And some reports were of people doing just that.  But too many lack common sense and the ability to improvise.   And the proportion seems to rise,  the warmer the climate.

Indeed.
Probably because the people have not been trained since birth to live in freezing weather, ice and snow.

Frank the "blue heeler" Australian cattle dog living with his American owners, Trent and Allie (on You Tube) who are building a small house in a mountain in Utah....is allowed to go out to play in fresh snow, but when the snow turns to ice he has to wear boots.
I'm learning a lot about snow, and how to live in it..." bring a shovel".

My power goes off because of the heat...rail lines buckle, transformers "blow up", thunder storms bring down power lines ...thousands of people without power for days.
It's rare, but it does happen.
In the rush to build BIG Australia (total folly...the place is full now) ...and CANCEL fossil fuels to appease the "climate change" brigade, the electricity grid teeters on the brink every time there's a 'heatwave" and BIG Australia turns on all its air-conditioning.

We started to have "Brown outs", our electricity cut off by the govt man in different districts for a few hours at peak use times to stop the grid from collapsing.
No1 radio host leading the protest, bambu-ilk verbally attacked the govt man (govt woman in some states).

ScoMo and Josh, federal, seemingly listening, lined up the energy companies and politely told them what would be happening if they did not provide a continual supply of electricity.
Can't be having little old ladies sitting on chairs and draped in wet towels trying to keep cool...brownouts, blackouts, and pensioners too scared to switch on electricity at unaffordable prices.

Next minute, the wholesale price of electricity and gas provided to the retail energy companies by the grid owners dropped...funny about that.

Noise laws in suburbia would prevent the use of diesel generators.
The "van life and camping" now have portable generators that run from portable propane cylinders, and portable hot water heaters/pumps run by butane cans.
Not sure if the propane fuelled generators are noisy.
Put cold water in bucket/container, insert hose line from machine, switch on...and water is pumped out of the bucket,  through the machine, and comes out hot in the hose/shower head from the other side.
Cool.
All I need now for my possible future van/camping fulltime life is some way to power a microwave, airfyer oven, and aircon without connecting to the main power grid (240v/110v).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:18:02 PM by bambu. »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 20, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »

Bambi, solar is good enough for the roof of your van, but not your house? You’re a little weird about that it seems.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #2234 on: February 20, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

Turns out that Senator Ted Cruz really *does* understand why desperate men leave home with their families, and cross the Mexican border to escape from inhospitable and intolerable living conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 2793