Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762931 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4035 on: March 19, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »

A civics course for high school kids wouldn't have to go into all the nuances and complexities of CRT as it's done in universities,  but why would it be a threat to teach,  as a factual part of American history,  that there were racists laws,  treaty violations,  and institutions in our history?   Jim Crow,  3/5, Fort Laramie, chain gangs,  segregation,
etc.  were all real things -- to teach students about them is to teach that our past is checkered and that our union isn't perfect and that past mistakes reverberate today.   It doesn't teach "hating our country" -- DeSantis is a lying sack of shit and an ignoramus.   These truths about our past are truths high school students would have the cognitive skills to ponder.  Maybe middle school, too.
All are already taught.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »

We need to teach them that all men are created equal.

In the USA we are all equal. I may not be equal with the Persians when in Iran, but I am damn sure equal here in the USA.

There is a lot that the Persians need to learn if they want to be good Americans here in the USA.

Salute,

Tony V.

Sam Colt made men equal.
Equal seems to vary in the USA depending on how much money one has.   [and not only in the USA]

I'd be happy to be a very "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" good and loyal servant to the rich, or not so rich...for a very high salary.

You are a useless and foolish idiot, incapable of being of service to anyone, not to mention lazy and mean spirited. No high salary for you.

In fact you had better leave me off your reference list next time you seek any gainful employment.

LOL
bambu-ilk demand that servants in their world get paid well...no slave labour here.

On Sky News now :

"Rumours from America are that Meghan Markle wants to be President, has powerful friends in America and will be contesting the 2024 election, running against Donald Trump."

You’d be better off if you didn’t watch Murdoch and instead smoked crack.
Or, one or the other. Not both.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »

A civics course for high school kids wouldn't have to go into all the nuances and complexities of CRT as it's done in universities,  but why would it be a threat to teach,  as a factual part of American history,  that there were racists laws,  treaty violations,  and institutions in our history?   Jim Crow,  3/5, Fort Laramie, chain gangs,  segregation,
etc.  were all real things -- to teach students about them is to teach that our past is checkered and that our union isn't perfect and that past mistakes reverberate today.   It doesn't teach "hating our country" -- DeSantis is a lying sack of shit and an ignoramus.   These truths about our past are truths high school students would have the cognitive skills to ponder.  Maybe middle school, too.

I don't think the teaching of it would be problematic - just the EXTREMITY of the opinionated curriculum and lecture.

"Racists then = racists now" would often be part of that farce.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:53:18 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4038 on: March 19, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »

I don't think the teaching of it would be problematic - just the EXTREMITY of the opinionated curriculum and lecture.

Bullshit.

"Racist then = racists now" is the fucking reality.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: March 19, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »

It always is fun to watch the public wrestle with curriculum content, no matter the subject. Suddenly, people are experts on what should be taught and when. These same people have no real understanding of who enters into a classroom, of the continuum of child development, of brains that will not be fully formed until the age of 25, of time limitations and scheduling difficulties, and of an entire array of in-school impactful circumstances like the demographics of a school's community or who eats breakfast and who can afford lunch, etc, etc, etc.

It's really just Monday morning quarterbacking.

Unfortunately, most of the people who finalize curricula fit into this category of MMQBs.

It's America.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #4040 on: March 19, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »

Um,  okay.   Did you have a specific point to make on the topic,  which is Critical Race Theory?   

Red seems to be saying the foundation of CRT is already taught.  Which I'd already pointed out.   So I'm not sure what his objection is.   I will repost my main point....

....why would it be a threat to teach,  as a factual part of American history,  that there were racists laws,  treaty violations,  and institutions in our history?   Jim Crow,  3/5, Fort Laramie, chain gangs,  segregation, etc.  were all real things -- to teach students about them is to teach that our past is checkered and that our union isn't perfect and that past mistakes reverberate today...   

I can find no evidence of the Strawman that KidC invokes. 

barton

« Reply #4041 on: March 19, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »

Moderate conservative Jennifer Rubin makes a point about racism today,  in her Post column....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/19/stop-giving-racists-benefit-doubt/

There are lots of people who no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt. When Georgia lawmakers seek to eliminate in-person early voting on Sundays, a direct threat to the “souls to the polls” voting initiative popular among churchgoing African Americans, we should not take their arguments that they are restoring election integrity seriously. (For one thing, this is in-person voting.) Nor should we take Republicans’ rationalizations that they are concerned about voting security seriously, because we know there was zero evidence of fraud in the 2020 election beyond a handful of discrete cases — which were caught. There is no other reason for the flood of legislation than to prevent as many non-White and poor voters from exercising their right to vote as possible....   

What democracy can survive if school students cannot learn of our historic and present day voting systems that have targeted minority and poor voters with excessive hurdles (sometimes insurmountable)  to leap over en route to a polling station?   

If you learn about Jim Crow and poll taxes and literacy tests and all the other ways the vote has been blocked,  then you,  as a student,  have a context for understanding what's happening right now. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: March 19, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »

Um,  okay.   Did you have a specific point to make on the topic,  which is Critical Race Theory?   

Red seems to be saying the foundation of CRT is already taught.  Which I'd already pointed out.   So I'm not sure what his objection is.   I will repost my main point....

....why would it be a threat to teach,  as a factual part of American history,  that there were racists laws,  treaty violations,  and institutions in our history?   Jim Crow,  3/5, Fort Laramie, chain gangs,  segregation, etc.  were all real things -- to teach students about them is to teach that our past is checkered and that our union isn't perfect and that past mistakes reverberate today...   

I can find no evidence of the Strawman that KidC invokes.

I think my point was clear.

My personal belief is that historical events should consider various POV when they are examined.

Teaching how to examine history is not the same as teaching history, as has been and for the most part remains the norm.

Think about it.

What did the First Amendment mean to Colonial Era women or people of color or men who did not own property or Native Americans or Jews or Quakers or Catholics or Germans living in Philadelphia when it was first read aloud in the public square?

The questions we ask surrounding historical events are far more important than the answers that traditional teachers of history like to convey.

So, if you want to get into it with someone like FLA's governor, ask him what questions students should be asking when exploring say, the origin of Jacksonville. How should they go about researching that? What should be their takeaway from such an examination?

And then you'll expose him for who he is, because you'll reveal more fully the bias he brings to the subject. And then, you will be able to argue more convincingly that the phrase "it's already being taught" is a falsehood.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: March 19, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »

Interesting reading in light of POV on history: https://libcom.org/history/peoples-history-american-revolution

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: March 19, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »

You were racist then. You are racist now. You are a farce unto yourself if not part of some larger sick evil racist farce.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: March 19, 2021, 03:50:05 PM »

"At least four US States and maybe dozens more soon, have banned transgender females (born males) from competing in girl's sport.
...could be overturned by a federal judge later this year."

-Sky News.

Every girl, every woman, deserves the chance to compete in sport on an equal basis.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4046 on: March 19, 2021, 04:08:35 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: March 19, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »

Ah yes, "racism, and curriculum"...I have heard about that...

Meghan Markle, she of the Oprah interview, made many claims in it.
She most likely, in her reported 6 months training by a special woman on how to be part of the Royal family and what it all means...would've been told that...

1. The Royal family does not vote.
2. The Royal Family does not get involved in politics of any kind.

Feb 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6713833/Meghan-Markle-backs-campaign-decolonise-curriculum-UK-universities.html

Meghan Markle backs campaign to 'decolonise the curriculum' by adding more black women to university staff instead of 'male, pale, and stale' professors in her first political intervention since joining the royal family.

#####

Well there you go.
No surprise to many why there was trouble in paradise.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: March 19, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »

"At least four US States and maybe dozens more soon, have banned transgender females (born males) from competing in girl's sport.

-Sky News.

Every girl, every woman, deserves the chance to compete in sport on an equal basis.

Pass.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: March 19, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »

-Sky News.

Pass.

Girls, women, having to compete against transgender women [who were born males], no matter puberty blockers, is not an equal basis.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 2929