Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 761419 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1485 on: February 11, 2021, 11:25:12 PM »

The whole notion of "gateway drugs" needs to be done away with.  Drugs engage with receptors in our brains the same way as food does.  So either drugs are food or food is a gateway drug
When it comes to using cannabis, your best bet is to do your own research first and consider the sources of the information you find.

I’d not rely on Kam or Josh.

Firstly the notion of a gateway is a theory, not a fact. 
BUT if you accept the theory, then the idea that Marijuana is the stepping stone to harder drugs is refuted, with ACTUAL RESEARCH, here:

npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drug

RATH: And tobacco - nicotine - appeared to be the most effective gateway of all. To reinforce her behavioral findings, Dr. Kandel wanted to conduct a biological study. And since you can't really confine kids to a lab and dose them with alcohol or tobacco - or heroin for that matter - science turns to rodents.

KANDEL: When you have an animal model, you can change the order of presentation. You can present an animal with, you know, drug A, see how he reacts to drug B and do the reverse - B versus A.

RATH: Now, Dr. Kandel is not a neurologist. But conveniently, she happens to be married to one and not just any - Nobel Prize-winner Dr. Eric Kandel. Nearly 40 years after Dr. Denise Kandel's paper on the gateway hypothesis was published, she and her husband published a molecular basis for nicotine as a gateway drug in the New England Journal of Medicine.

KANDEL: What we found is that when an animal was primed by nicotine and then was exposed to cocaine, the effect of cocaine was amplified many times.
Then smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.
And pick and choose your “ experts”.
Hope you enjoy.
Don’t mind us if we have just as many “ experts” who disagree with yours.

Show me your expert.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 11, 2021, 11:25:32 PM »

So President Mediocrity ditched his campaign pledge to get public school kids back in the classroom.
Those teacher union campaign funds always speak louder that the students who will fall further behind, isolated at home.

I’m glad Joe is putting together a capable government to take care of you in your dotage. It’s a nice change from the clusterfuck of the last four years of shitstain misadministration that is still keeping our kids out of school in the aftermath of its bottomless mistakes.
Me, I am trying to figure what sketchy far right web site thought up "President Mediocrity" for Red. Though compared to the last two Repo presidents mediocre would be a vast improvement.
Try looking at President Mediocrity’s weeks in office.

Specifics?
How about none

I dont know what your problem is

66% of US schools are currently open one day a week or more

Biden says by May 1st he will have the other 34% open for 20% of the time

That's good strong work.

Or as Gutfeld says, "I like when my leaders aim high"
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 11, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »

So President Mediocrity ditched his campaign pledge to get public school kids back in the classroom.
Those teacher union campaign funds always speak louder that the students who will fall further behind, isolated at home.

I’m glad Joe is putting together a capable government to take care of you in your dotage. It’s a nice change from the clusterfuck of the last four years of shitstain misadministration that is still keeping our kids out of school in the aftermath of its bottomless mistakes.
Me, I am trying to figure what sketchy far right web site thought up "President Mediocrity" for Red. Though compared to the last two Repo presidents mediocre would be a vast improvement.
Try looking at President Mediocrity’s weeks in office.

Specifics?
How about none

I dont know what your problem is

66% of US schools are currently open one day a week or more

Biden says by May 1st he will have the other 34% open for 20% of the time

That's good strong work.

Or as Gutfeld says, "I like when my leaders aim high"
LOL!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 12, 2021, 12:12:44 AM »

Thanks for the charts

I figure most people in their minds separate Christians rather than just lump them all together, which might be the perceived discrepancy

That sure will fix the issue on race and language, huh?

And...

Your figuring that there are somehow more separate Christian sects than there are the other religions is fascinating!

Here's the Pew chart concerning religions. Do you consider the Catholic Church to be one denomination or many and if so how many? There were more than 200 Christian denominations in 1994.

But many of those groups exist in these other countries. Further, there are many types of Islam, of Hindi, of Buddhism, etc.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 12, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/02/11/graham-lee-cruz-trump-lawyers-meeting-impeachment-trial-two-vpx.cnn

Very odd for Senate Republicans to meet with Trump's attorneys.

It's almost as if they are not keeping their promise to be open-minded!

Gasp.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 12, 2021, 12:53:25 AM »

The whole notion of "gateway drugs" needs to be done away with.  Drugs engage with receptors in our brains the same way as food does.  So either drugs are food or food is a gateway drug
When it comes to using cannabis, your best bet is to do your own research first and consider the sources of the information you find.

I’d not rely on Kam or Josh.

Firstly the notion of a gateway is a theory, not a fact. 
BUT if you accept the theory, then the idea that Marijuana is the stepping stone to harder drugs is refuted, with ACTUAL RESEARCH, here:

npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drug

RATH: And tobacco - nicotine - appeared to be the most effective gateway of all. To reinforce her behavioral findings, Dr. Kandel wanted to conduct a biological study. And since you can't really confine kids to a lab and dose them with alcohol or tobacco - or heroin for that matter - science turns to rodents.

KANDEL: When you have an animal model, you can change the order of presentation. You can present an animal with, you know, drug A, see how he reacts to drug B and do the reverse - B versus A.

RATH: Now, Dr. Kandel is not a neurologist. But conveniently, she happens to be married to one and not just any - Nobel Prize-winner Dr. Eric Kandel. Nearly 40 years after Dr. Denise Kandel's paper on the gateway hypothesis was published, she and her husband published a molecular basis for nicotine as a gateway drug in the New England Journal of Medicine.

KANDEL: What we found is that when an animal was primed by nicotine and then was exposed to cocaine, the effect of cocaine was amplified many times.
Then smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.
And pick and choose your “ experts”.
Hope you enjoy.
Don’t mind us if we have just as many “ experts” who disagree with yours.

Show me your expert.
Already done.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 12, 2021, 02:14:51 AM »

Still waiting for Luee's response on his "most diverse country" claim and my multiple replies (that put the board to sleep, we're told).

I did respond, three of the top ten most multi-cultural cities in the world are in the USA. No other country has more than one. What don't you understand? Admitting 30 million or so central Americans with one gulp does not improve diversity or the economy. It would just exacerbate the homeless and unemployment situation. The world does not need a lead nation turned into another banana republic.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 12, 2021, 03:15:55 AM »

About the “ American idiocy upon stupidity”.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/asia/china-us-marijuana-smuggling-intl-hnk/index.html

China severely punishes those caught smuggling or trafficking drugs, including foreigners. Anyone found with more than 50 grams (1.76 ounces) of a controlled substance can face the death penalty.

China has stepped up its efforts to combat the sale of illegal drugs in recent years. Authorities in major cities, including Beijing,
have been known to carry out spot drug tests at bars and nightclubs in a bid to clamp down on recreational drug use.
The move puts it at odds with North America, where cannabis has increasing levels of social acceptance.

LOL!

Did you even read your own link?

Liu Yuejin, deputy director of the China National Narcotics Control Commission, said that the number of cannabis users in China had grown by more than 25% in 2018, rising to about 24,000 people.

24K marijuana users among 1.4B people.
Linking to one article about a topic you know nothing about isn't the same as knowing anything about a topic

I can explain to you why and how that 24K number is questionable and/or inaccurate.
Marijuana is available but relatively scarce in Shanghai.  Hashish is much more widely available, which I assume is separately categorized from marijuana.  Many young Uighurs who are Muslims and not supposed to drink are frequent hashish smokers.  And they frequently are self-employed selling BBQ meat under on the street, and when foreigners walk by they frequently offer hashish (either they sell it or one of their friends do).  I've hung around with Uighurs and they tend to have significant quantities of hashish.  Oh and the gov't does little or nothing about it.  Prior to the recent crackdown on Uighurs, any found with hashish in Shanghai used to be put on trains and sent back to far west Xinjiang, hardly draconian.

China isn't Indonesia or Singapore on the no-tolerance-for-drugs scale.  Only those selling/distributing large amounts of drugs face harsh sentences. 

As for any tests or whatever occurring in bar raids.  This is most likely very sporadic and occasional.  But such harassment of foreign bars has a number of sources -- sometimes local police looking for bribes, sometimes just a general check on morality (drinking, late night activity, prostitution), neighbors complaining of noise, etc.  But there is a minor tradition of harassing bars and bar patrons.  In the early 2000's, the police would occasionally show up at a bar after midnight and demand to see foreigners passports (in China all citizens are supposed to carry their nat'l ID card at all times, and foreigners carry their passports, which of course almost none do).  Usually the police would leave if at least 2 or 3 foreigners could produce a passport, which shows what a charade the whole thing was.  Sometimes they'd want a bribe (might or might not get one), most often just wanted to throw their weight around (intimating they could close the bar down for violations in the future), or just register general official disapproval of late night drinking (they seem sensitive about foreigners and Chinese together).

I'd bet any drug raid at a bar was mostly of this type.
Marijuana is a very minor issue in China, but hashish isn't major but a much more prevalent drug.

But of course Red isn't interested in factual information or learning anything. 
Actually it's pretty amusing how those here on the Left rely on facts and experts and citations and folks like red, kiid, luee respond to such information by ignoring it or mockery.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:54:44 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 12, 2021, 03:26:08 AM »

As for school openings:
CV certainly seems to have a strong seasonal component.  For some reason, I find just about nothing examining that.  Given that, this seems like a bad time to further open schools.  Once teachers are vaccinated, this seem much more reasonable and doable.  Yeah, infection numbers are dropping, but we don't really know why.  Probably some combination of the vaccination rollout and the Biden effect with a more coordinated response and unified message improving behavior.  Hell, maybe 10% or more of Americans having been infected means the virus has fewer targets as well.

But re-opening schools during the Winter flu season seems foolhardy as a general policy, though possibly can occur locally in places where transmission is low.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:35 AM »

But re-opening schools during the Winter flu season seems foolhardy as a general policy, though possibly can occur locally in places where transmission is low.

I saw something recently that the reason flu seems less prevalent this year because of "viral interference".   Basically covid and flu compete for the same nasal receptors like animal species might compete for food.  They saw in France a decade ago during the H1N1 pandemic as rates of H1N1 go down in areas ... after some time seasonal common-cold rate then goes up as those nasal receptors are once again susceptible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4p-OG3RiE

The whole video is worthwhile but if you are short on time you may want to jump ahead to the 3:40 mark to the science of it. 
Or the 6:40 mark if you are really short on time.

The interesting thought from that is that we could someday soon combat covid by infecting people with a less deadly respiratory virus!  And maybe (and this is just a whole lot conjecture) if we had left schools open could we maybe have interfered with covid since children are such good spreaders of cold and flu?  Interesting to think about.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:40:10 AM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 12, 2021, 05:05:20 AM »

So with even an average competent response to CV would have saved around 200K American lives.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/11/lancet-commission-donald-trump-covid-19-health-medicare-for-all/4453762001/
And a good response would have saved even more.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 12, 2021, 08:03:21 AM »

As for school openings:
CV certainly seems to have a strong seasonal component.  For some reason, I find just about nothing examining that.  Given that, this seems like a bad time to further open schools.  Once teachers are vaccinated, this seem much more reasonable and doable.  Yeah, infection numbers are dropping, but we don't really know why.  Probably some combination of the vaccination rollout and the Biden effect with a more coordinated response and unified message improving behavior.  Hell, maybe 10% or more of Americans having been infected means the virus has fewer targets as well.

Funny how COVID-19 is avoiding students who are studying IN Catholic, private, and charter schools and teachers there remain healthy.
A lot of parents whose public school kids remain at home are wondering about that, too.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1497 on: February 12, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »

As for school openings:

Funny how COVID-19 is avoiding students who are studying IN Catholic, private, and charter schools and teachers there remain healthy.
A lot of parents whose public school kids remain at home are wondering about that, too.

Taking no a guess I’d say those schools have resources and budgets to maintaining n distancing, PPE, and upgraded Ventilation systems.

Example; St. Albans school

https://twitter.com/stalbans_sta/status/1359252596939231237?s=21

Your child (boy) can attend this prep school for the low low tuition of $59K per annum.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #1498 on: February 12, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »

As for school openings:

Taking no a guess I’d say those schools have resources and budgets to maintaining n distancing, PPE, and upgraded Ventilation systems.

My daughter teaches music in a Catholic school.   It's those things you mentioned and also that the individual schools have more leeway on setting up procedures tailored to that school,  rather than following the secular school district.   And the budgets of her pupils households are such that they could easily implement a partial attendance,  staggered attendance, with Zoom sessions woven in.  All the students had access to laptops,  during the early peaks of contagion.   And,  finally,  Catholic schools maintain a level of discipline and student cooperation that is sometimes difficult in public schools.   

barton

« Reply #1499 on: February 12, 2021, 11:40:23 AM »

The interesting thought from that is that we could someday soon combat covid by infecting people with a less deadly respiratory virus!  ....

Verrry soon.   Atrazeneca vaccine uses chimp adenovirus.   As do many other vaccines.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 2929