Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 2932

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 766241 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5310 on: April 14, 2021, 03:01:37 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhAemz1v7dQ

Do we need nuclear power to stop climate change?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: April 14, 2021, 03:52:01 AM »

40 arrests last night in Minneapolis?

That's a good start.

Better start was the resignations of the chief of police and the cop who mistook her gun for a taser while conducting a felony traffic stop over expired registration.

Warrant out for his arrest, Larry.  You can stop rewriting the story, now.
Well then he clearly deserved to die.

He didn't deserve to die.
Cops stopped him because his car was unregistered...as I see them do in America on YouTube official police footage and footage recorded legally by motorists in traffic stops.

This case begs the questions:

"Should everyone driving on America's roads be treated equally?"
"Should everyone in America with outstanding warrants be arrested?

"Should some people get special treatment on the roads?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:54:12 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: April 14, 2021, 04:24:58 AM »

Those are decent questions despite the overlap between the first and last.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: April 14, 2021, 04:33:29 AM »

40 arrests last night in Minneapolis?

That's a good start.

Better start was the resignations of the chief of police and the cop who mistook her gun for a taser while conducting a felony traffic stop over expired registration.

Warrant out for his arrest, Larry.  You can stop rewriting the story, now.
Well then he clearly deserved to die.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04/what-daunte-wrights-death-and-derek-chauvins-trial-reveal.html

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: April 14, 2021, 05:55:21 AM »

In my world, if I am caught driving an unregistered car the fine is $607. Car could be impounded on the spot...more cost.
At a traffic stop or elsewhere, if police discover there is an arrest warrant issued for me, they will arrest me.
If I resist arrest, force will be used to subdue me.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: April 14, 2021, 08:20:39 AM »

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/publichealth/92072

Research indicates that there was no increase in suicide rates during the early months of the pandemic, across 22 wealthier countries including the US. 3 US states showed a lower count than would have been expected based on pre-pandemic numbers, including CA and TX. New Jersey showed a significantly higher number when they added 5% to the figure they received from the state to adjust for delayed information (364 projected vs. 389 (370 counted plus the 5%)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: April 14, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »

http://www.vice.com/en/article/y3dm4g/how-scientists-discovered-a-massive-toxic-dump-site-off-the-la-coast

Fucking Reagan administration.

I don't know that this one is especially theirs. Yes, the report mentioning the site is from 1985, but the dumping happened a decade or more earlier from the sounds of it.

As an aside, I really liked this sentence: Humans exposed to high doses of DDT, usually through food sources, may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures in humans.

It would be quite something if the humans experienced seizures in non-humans.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: April 14, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »

Cops stopped him because his car was unregistered...as I see them do in America on YouTube official police footage and footage recorded legally by motorists in traffic stops.

The stop can be criticized.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #5319 on: April 14, 2021, 09:35:41 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhAemz1v7dQ

Do we need nuclear power to stop climate change?!

We do.   Smaller next-gen  reactors with passive emergency shutdown systems (not dependent on electricity to kick in) and breeder reactors to process the spent fuel.   The video makes a good case for using nuke as a bridge to renewables.   However,  the spent fuel issues are serious and would need to resolved starting right now.   Or humans will experience grief in humans...

barton

« Reply #5320 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04/what-daunte-wrights-death-and-derek-chauvins-trial-reveal.html

This article expressed something I've reflected on a while:  does public safety require using violent methods of apprehension on people doing nonviolent infractions? 

....That’s because none of these proposals will change the function of the police. Their trade is violence. They can be compelled to be more discreet and judicious, but they cannot stop. This is an acceptable trade-off for many people, who believe their personal welfare depends on this brand of violent intervention. But to those for whom deaths like Wright’s are truly unacceptable, it’s worth thinking harder about what changes would actually prevent them... 

Indeed.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »

Btw, Larry. Ever have a cop pull a gun on you?

Yes.

More than once.

Me. too.

Not a lot of fun, is it?

I took him seriously, stopped, made eye contact, and listened.

How about you?

Which time?

Details, Larry. Both times.

In my case, the cops mistook me for another person. They pulled the gun, barked a lot of shit, had me lie face down on the sidewalk, cuffed me, put me in the back of the patrol car, where I waited for about 1/2 hour until they confirmed from my ID and their communications that I wasn't there guy.

Was I pissed off? For damn sure.

Did I consider running at any time during this event? Did I argue and refuse to comply with the man holding a gun on me? Nope. That would be stupid.

Stupid people die.

Which is why you are likely not dead, too, Larry.

I’ve been held at gunpoint by police no fewer than eight times since I was sixteen.

I can tell you what the service weapon of McVeety (who drove sector car 109 for the 1st precinct of the Suffolk County Police Department) tastes like.

I’ve had no fewer than 30 police interactions since I was fourteen.

I’ve had no interactions with police since I turned forty five.

I’ll be sixty three in June.

Well, now you're getting help. So, likely you can make it to Medicare.

You should get help and you might not end up drooling in a corner

You should quit drinking on the sly. Or you'll stay at the halfway house.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: April 14, 2021, 10:15:54 AM »

This article expressed something I've reflected on a while:  does public safety require using violent methods of apprehension on people doing nonviolent infractions? 

....That’s because none of these proposals will change the function of the police. Their trade is violence. They can be compelled to be more discreet and judicious, but they cannot stop. This is an acceptable trade-off for many people, who believe their personal welfare depends on this brand of violent intervention. But to those for whom deaths like Wright’s are truly unacceptable, it’s worth thinking harder about what changes would actually prevent them... 

Indeed.

Fine.

What changes will people like the Wrights and Floyds and Garners be making?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: April 14, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »

You mean,  will victims families join together to form advocacy groups to promote nonviolent alternatives?  Maybe.   But what's your point?   Isn't it also a matter for the tens of millions of Americans who also fear a paramilitary police force and its focus on violent apprehension?   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5324 on: April 14, 2021, 10:53:05 AM »

Btw, Larry. Ever have a cop pull a gun on you?

Yes.

More than once.

Me. too.

Not a lot of fun, is it?

I took him seriously, stopped, made eye contact, and listened.

How about you?

Which time?

Details, Larry. Both times.

In my case, the cops mistook me for another person. They pulled the gun, barked a lot of shit, had me lie face down on the sidewalk, cuffed me, put me in the back of the patrol car, where I waited for about 1/2 hour until they confirmed from my ID and their communications that I wasn't there guy.

Was I pissed off? For damn sure.

Did I consider running at any time during this event? Did I argue and refuse to comply with the man holding a gun on me? Nope. That would be stupid.

Stupid people die.

Which is why you are likely not dead, too, Larry.

I’ve been held at gunpoint by police no fewer than eight times since I was sixteen.

I can tell you what the service weapon of McVeety (who drove sector car 109 for the 1st precinct of the Suffolk County Police Department) tastes like.

I’ve had no fewer than 30 police interactions since I was fourteen.

I’ve had no interactions with police since I turned forty five.

I’ll be sixty three in June.

Well, now you're getting help. So, likely you can make it to Medicare.

You should get help and you might not end up drooling in a corner

You should quit drinking on the sly. Or you'll stay at the halfway house.

I’m diabetic and only drink on special occasions.

Keep trying but you’re looking rather pathetic.

When are you gonna accept the fact i love my life and no matter how many times you try to portray me with projections of your own miserable existence?

Get thee into therapy, boy.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 2932