Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765864 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5520 on: April 18, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/health/infertility-awareness-week-chloe-melas-wellness/index.html

"The US has an infertility problem," says this news analysis.

"The world has an infertility problem," says Josh. And not a small one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/02/27/falling-sperm-counts-threaten-humanity-chemicals-blame-book-says/6842950002/

So, uh, you don't think there are enough humans on the planet, josh?

Maybe nature is just responding in kind?

Natural Selection at work, eh?

You really do have a hard time simply having a conversation, don't you, instead of being an ass as soon as your virtual mouth is open.

Do any of your questions represent an actual opinion of your own rather than a way to attack without being held to having said anything yourself?!

To answer your questions as if you were sincere:
I think the question of whether I think there are too many humans on the planet currently is moot. The population of the world is not distributed evenly, but in terms of the 2nd link that too may prove to be moot.

If the prediction of sperm production were to come to pass, the population decline would be precipitous and the long term prospects of humanity dim. I'm mostly opposed to that outcome.

No, "nature" is not responding in kind. Natural consequences of our actions, sure. But "natural selection" is not at work, other than in the broadest construct of it - too smart, but unwise, for our own good.

At a minimum, it demands more study and not slowly.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: April 18, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »

Worldometers has introduced a Weekly Trends table that shows data, including percentages, of new cases and deaths for the recent two weeks. It provides a very useful snapshot.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

The US is ~56th in both weekly death percentage and new case percentage, both bit improvements.

OTOH, seeing that new worldwide cases' daily average has now exceeded the previous high is not good.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5522 on: April 18, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »

Taking a page from the Trump handbook. Get out there and do what I want---but don't expect me to be with you!

In addition to the Daunte Wright protests, law enforcement in Minnesota is bracing for a verdict in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer accused of killing George Floyd last year in nearby Minneapolis. Maxine also shared her view on what protesters should do if Chauvin is acquitted next week.

"We've got to stay on the streets. And we've got to get more active. We've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

However, when asked if she personally was going to stay on the streets as the curfew was looming, Waters said: “I'm not gonna stay out here."

https://www.rt.com/usa/521381-maxine-waters-brooklyn-center-curfew/

What "courage"!

Why are you posting Kremlin propaganda?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: April 18, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »

Do any of your questions represent an actual opinion of your own rather than a way to attack without being held to having said anything yourself?!

The questions regard your opinion, not mine. But you went full right into your default setting of being a pedantic, supercilious academic twit.

Why it not be natural selection well at work, if it could be established that some men just might be more chemically resistant than others?

Population declines can be explained by many things, such as, but not limited to the postponement of child bearing to later years for females, as well as the devaluing (some may say, "devouring") of young males in many industrialized countries. However, don't we need less sperm than eggs to repopulate effectively?

More study, for sure, but who will be funding that study, given a political landscape that would not reward investigating the infertility of men? That is simply a non-starter in the woke world.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: April 18, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »

Taking a page from the Trump handbook. Get out there and do what I want---but don't expect me to be with you!

In addition to the Daunte Wright protests, law enforcement in Minnesota is bracing for a verdict in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer accused of killing George Floyd last year in nearby Minneapolis. Maxine also shared her view on what protesters should do if Chauvin is acquitted next week.

"We've got to stay on the streets. And we've got to get more active. We've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

However, when asked if she personally was going to stay on the streets as the curfew was looming, Waters said: “I'm not gonna stay out here."

What "courage"!

Speaking of lacking courage.

Why are you unable to accommodate something that opposes your world view and was widely reported in various news outlets?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: April 18, 2021, 10:45:34 AM »

See? You CAN like George W. Bush and his pragmatic approach to immigration.

https://news.yahoo.com/bush-op-ed-book-steps-165357718.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: April 18, 2021, 11:00:04 AM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-spring-game-draws-47218-fans-largest-us-sports-crowd-since-start-of-covid-pandemic-195008132.html

Alabama held its spring game Saturday with 47,218 fans in attendance. That's the most fans at a sporting event in the United States since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Mama says stupid is as stupid does."---Forrest Gump

College football; behave as expected.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: April 18, 2021, 11:03:25 AM »

The questions regard your opinion, not mine. But you went full right into your default setting of being a pedantic, supercilious academic twit.

Yes, I could tell that the questions were a way to avoid expressing your own opinion.

Hence my saying so overtly.

Why it not be natural selection well at work, if it could be established that some men just might be more chemically resistant than others?

Population declines can be explained by many things, such as, but not limited to the postponement of child bearing to later years for females, as well as the devaluing (some may say, "devouring") of young males in many industrialized countries. However, don't we need less sperm than eggs to repopulate effectively?

More study, for sure, but who will be funding that study, given a political landscape that would not reward investigating the infertility of men? That is simply a non-starter in the woke world.

If it could be established that some men are more chemically resistant than others, then it could be natural selection, too. Though, as got repeatedly drummed into me, evolution is often not about survival of the fittest, but the luckiest.

We had population decline problems already in some places. Age of attempted procreation is one of many factors contributing to the problem in those areas. Plenty of additional factors.

This problem potentially takes those issues and exacerbates them by a lot, potentially dwarfing their effect.

Your comment on the woke world is inane, but you knew that. The problem in getting such research done in some places will be challenging because of (false) machismo - as well as implementing changes, should some be figured out.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5528 on: April 18, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »

What "courage"!

Speaking of lacking courage.

Why are you unable to accommodate something that opposes your world view and was widely reported in various news outlets?

Then why give clicks to propagandists?

Plus shes 80 years old it’s not a lack of courage it’s more a matter of common sense.

I didn’t  hit the streets this past summer but many people I know and respect did.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: April 18, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/15/biden-climate-risks-executive-order-481962

Biden's effort is going to reach into almost every aspect of the federal government and could end up doing the same to the American business environment.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5530 on: April 18, 2021, 11:23:34 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/15/biden-climate-risks-executive-order-481962

Biden's effort is going to reach into almost every aspect of the federal government and could end up doing the same to the American business environment.

Who’d a thunk Biden would be such a progressive President... heh

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: April 18, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Kroger is closing three more of its stores in Los Angeles after the city passed a “hero pay” ordinance mandating a $5 pay bump for grocery and pharmacy workers.

Kroger says its Ralphs and Food 4 Less associates in Los Angeles already earn $18 an hour. With health care and pension benefits, their total compensation comes to $24 an hour, according to Kroger. The grocery store giant says it has also invested $2.5 billion to reward its associates and implement safety measures since the start of the pandemic, and recently issued $50 million in rewards to frontline associates.

The company also pointed to its efforts to vaccinate its frontline workers as quickly as possible, touting three vaccine clinics taking place this week for its associates in Los Angeles. Kroger, which is offering a $100 vaccination reward to its employees, says nearly 20% of its associates have received their first dose or are fully vaccinated.

“Prioritizing vaccinations — not arbitrary mandates for extra pay — is what will keep frontline workers protected,” a Kroger spokesperson said in the statement.

Kudos to Kroger to fight back against the misguided efforts of government interfering in its business.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/03/12/kroger-closing-3-stores-los-angeles-response-approval-hero-pay-mandate/

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: April 18, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »

Kimberly Holmes: What Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth's relationship teaches us about our own

Please, we fought a revolution to escape the humiliation and expense of a mangod.

I just finished watching the Royal Funeral.

You have a President, who lives in a white palace, pomp and ceremony..."Hail to the Chief", "The Commander in Chief".
The president much revered...much "worshipped" by most.
The expense is astronomical.

Nobody believes in royal families anymore. Just a useless expense. From the European dark ages when almost no one else educated was around.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5533 on: April 18, 2021, 12:18:39 PM »

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Kroger is closing three more of its stores in Los Angeles after the city passed a “hero pay” ordinance mandating a $5 pay bump for grocery and pharmacy workers.

Kroger says its Ralphs and Food 4 Less associates in Los Angeles already earn $18 an hour. With health care and pension benefits, their total compensation comes to $24 an hour, according to Kroger. The grocery store giant says it has also invested $2.5 billion to reward its associates and implement safety measures since the start of the pandemic, and recently issued $50 million in rewards to frontline associates.

The company also pointed to its efforts to vaccinate its frontline workers as quickly as possible, touting three vaccine clinics taking place this week for its associates in Los Angeles. Kroger, which is offering a $100 vaccination reward to its employees, says nearly 20% of its associates have received their first dose or are fully vaccinated.

“Prioritizing vaccinations — not arbitrary mandates for extra pay — is what will keep frontline workers protected,” a Kroger spokesperson said in the statement.

Kudos to Kroger to fight back against the misguided efforts of government interfering in its business.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/03/12/kroger-closing-3-stores-los-angeles-response-approval-hero-pay-mandate/

How’s that boot polish taste?

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #5534 on: April 18, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »

If it could be established that some men are more chemically resistant than others, then it could be natural selection, too. Though, as got repeatedly drummed into me, evolution is often not about survival of the fittest, but the luckiest....

My degree included evolutionary biology.  Quite right on that last,  especially where a mutation-based change happens to be more adaptive to a current environmental factor.
It's also unfortunate that the old Darwinian nomenclature, "fitness, " is often confused with its meaning in the popular sense.   Fitness,  in evolutionary theory,  means nothing beyond adaptive phenotypes with respect to an environment where that phenotypes reproductive chances are greatest. 

There are also quite random factors affecting allele frequency, like genetic drift.  But that's for another chat.

In the case of endocrine disruptors like PFAS,  a set of alleles that happened to increase the body's resistance to its sterilizing effects would,  in a natural setting (without advanced medical interventions), increase in frequency in the population,  i. e.  be selected for.   Assuming that set of alleles didn't have some other maladaptive effect,  too,  like some inability to absorb key vitamins.   We don't know yet, and we do know that the frequency of intercourse in hominin bonded pairs is such that even males with low sperm counts can sire multiple offspring.   But,  yes, as counts drop very low in large segments of a population, then males with more resistance to endocrine disruption  would possibly start to pass on their genes more widely,  especially in regions with less medical intervention availability to boost fertility.   (but there are many confounding factors there...)
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 2930