Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765770 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5595 on: April 19, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »

The McConnell comment I wrote earlier was a sort of Merrick Garland joke,  btw.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5596 on: April 19, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »

At some level, like it or not, there is a public relations aspect to getting the change which is needed and sometimes kicking the door down is the way to go.  Sometimes.  I don't think the urging of more violence is the way to go this time.

I agree. Urging violence is never a good thing .*

It’s not the way to go this time.

Or last time.

Or the time before that..

etc, etc, etc.

*Dont tell that to the Sons of Liberty.
So you agree with me?  Or don't?

Yes and no.

Yes, violence is not to be urged.

However, our society has countenanced state sponsored violence against a segment of said society. When that segment protests the repression the oppressed are the ones urged to remain calm, or in essence, “Eat shit and like it. We’ll get around to reforms... one day.”

I met Maxine Waters in1992 at a campaign event in Bay Shore. It was the first time I heard the term “Uprising” in reference to what is known as the Rodney King riots.

Consider that was damn near thirty years ago... and here we are.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: April 19, 2021, 04:08:09 PM »

When you condemn the protest more so than the motivation for same it maintains status quo.

Responding to protests of police violence with more police violence is sort of counterproductive in my view.

I don't condemn the protest more than the motivation for it - not even close to it.

And yes, the persistence and recurrence of police violence is a far bigger problem than anything Rep. Waters said.

That doesn't make her words okay.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: April 19, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »

He is literally blaming Floyd for getting himself killed.

He’s playing the video over and over to refute prosecution medical evidence.... so the jury can see the defendant murder Floyd over and over again.

Is that a winning strategy?

They must think they have a juror who will buy the bullshit.. he better pray there is one in the jury who feels sorry his ass.

This close will go down as an EPIC faceplant.

And Blackwell just goes with "use your common sense" in rebuttal rather than refute Nelson
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: April 19, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »

Blackwell speaking in only generalities

If he has a 110 IQ jury it may work quite well.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5600 on: April 19, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »

Blackwell speaking in only generalities

If he has a 110 IQ jury it may work quite well.

He’s taking apart Nelson point by point.

He called Nelson a liar (stories) and the objection was overruled.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: April 19, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »

Wow.  Judge tells Nelson what may very well work on appeal.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5602 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »

“George Floyd didn’t die because his heart was too big, he died because Derek Chauvin’s heart was too small.”

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: April 19, 2021, 05:57:23 PM »

He is literally blaming Floyd for getting himself killed.

Seems like that was always the defense strategy.  Dating back to the start of Homo sapiens,  at least.   Deflect everything onto the victim.

In a homicide, that’s the person who will have the hardest time refuting the story.

When judging Nelson’s work remember that if he wins at any point he won’t see any money for equally terrible work on a series of lame ass appeals.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: April 19, 2021, 06:26:35 PM »

https://www.preview.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/maxine-waters-derek-chauvin-trial/index.html

Not helpful by Rep. Waters, IMO.

There is a difference between acknowledgment of motivations for violent protest and urging folks to become more "confrontational."

As I pointed out, YESTERDAY!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: April 19, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »

https://www.preview.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/maxine-waters-derek-chauvin-trial/index.html

There is a difference between acknowledgment of motivations for violent protest and urging folks to become more "confrontational."

No justice, no peace. Power accedes nothing without demand. Give me liberty or...

Ya know?

This is an old tv show rebooted for the umpteenth time and folks act as if they’ve never seen it before.

When you condemn the protest more so than the motivation for same it maintains status quo.

Responding to protests of police violence with more police violence is sort of counterproductive in my view.

You can't just choose to follow the laws you like, and then demand equal protection under the law.

Which is what has been done in almost all of these cases.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: April 19, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »

As I pointed out, YESTERDAY!

Does Maxine win elections because her district is black?  Discuss.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:39:07 PM by kidcarter8 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: April 19, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »

I don't condemn the protest more than the motivation for it - not even close to it.

And yes, the persistence and recurrence of police violence is a far bigger problem than anything Rep. Waters said.

Correct.

As Steve Martin put it, "Is it okay to yell 'Theatre!' in crowded fire hall?"

Wait...

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: April 19, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »

Far more important than the irrelevant Maxine Waters, we have THIS!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senator-manchin-throws-support-behind-174308762.html

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5609 on: April 19, 2021, 06:46:56 PM »

She spoke the words of the CR movement. They may not have been ‘strategic’ but saying be confrontational is not a call to violence.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 2930