Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765289 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5790 on: April 21, 2021, 10:38:00 PM »

I believe a great many police departments, if not most, prohibit their officers from firing warning shots and train them not to do so.
Bullets go up
And ultimately........

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5791 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:24 PM »

I think we should stop calling them tragedies.

You are such a schmuck...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: April 21, 2021, 10:52:19 PM »

Yes.   Here's my updated post...with a second edit...

Did the footage you found show a longer timeframe? I caught the affiliate link and it was too tightly packed to give context. 15-20 seconds of lead up would clarify things a lot.

Sorry, Fac, I'm so slow to reply.   Agree.  The footage that the PD released is what I saw and it seems to drop you into the middle of things,  so it's hard to get context.   As Larry pointed out,  you don't hear the cop using "command voice" during the segment we get.  I'm not sure there was much time for any coherent verbal response.   And it is impossible to call any outcome "the right thing. "  What were the girl-in-pink's chances,  if he'd fired in the air,  or at Makhia's feet,  or rushed in with a baton?   It was happening so fast,  and I can honestly say I have little concept of how you'd train someone to handle nanosecond judgement calls like that.   

There was a press conference where much of this was answered

Included was the question of why cops generally (and in this case in particular) do not shoot at legs.

I'm sure there are reasons.   Harder to hit a leg,  harder to stop an assailant?  Shots fired in the air lack deterrent effect?  I've  heard this before.   And there may be stats to back it up.   I think it's a good trend if body cams stay on,  and police are as transparent as possible when tragedies happen.   But it still needs to be asked if this tragedy had to happen.
Huh?
I'm sure there are reasons.   Harder to hit a leg,  harder to stop an assailant?  Shots fired in the air lack deterrent effect?   I've  heard this before.   And there may be stats to back it up.   I think it's a good trend if body cams stay on,  and police are as transparent as possible when tragedies happen.   But it still needs to be asked if this tragedy had to happen.
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: April 21, 2021, 10:52:25 PM »

I believe a great many police departments, if not most, prohibit their officers from firing warning shots and train them not to do so.
Bullets go up
And ultimately........
Yep....
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: April 21, 2021, 10:55:03 PM »

You deny that penal servitude effectively perpetuated slavery for Southern blacks?   That blacks were selectively targeted and rounded up for petty offenses?  These are well-established facts.   What's "stupid" about an historical account of peonage and Black Codes?
Pay attention to what I wrote.

He can’t conceive of morality. He struggles instead with the most depraved limit of what could be said to be allowed by law. It’s how he goes on continuously missing the point.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: April 21, 2021, 10:58:25 PM »

If he’s ready to call it planned genocide being executed before our eyes, maybe we can get something meaningful done.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5796 on: April 21, 2021, 11:11:42 PM »

If he’s ready to call it planned genocide being executed before our eyes, maybe we can get something meaningful done.

Combine that with the initial response to the pandemic...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:13 PM »

"just a few bad apples"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/new-york-pregnant-woman-shackled-by-police-settles/index.html

She was in labor.

They cuffed and shackled her, anyway.

Yes, she sought and received money.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: April 21, 2021, 11:38:54 PM »

Imagine that...
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5799 on: April 21, 2021, 11:51:01 PM »

Imagine that...

If she was in your family you wouldn’t?

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: April 21, 2021, 11:57:54 PM »

Wouldnt what?  Sue the city?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5801 on: April 22, 2021, 12:15:28 AM »

Wouldnt what?  Sue the city?

Well?

“What you do? What would you do?”*

*Who dis?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: April 22, 2021, 07:24:25 AM »

Yes.   Here's my updated post...with a second edit...

Larry dodges real conversation. Anything that conflicts with his world view is verboten. Achtung, motherfucker.

You seem to bring a particular worldview to the knife-wielder case in question.   I didn't get anything in your many posts that suggested you wondered for even a minute if the shooter had alternatives.  Maybe Makhia was about to kill someone,  but I wouldn't mind some factfinding and context before I assume this was a legit use of force.  (full disclosure -- have not seen video,  will do so asap)

ETA -- the video released has had the shooting itself edited out,  because the local affiliate judged it too graphic to show on tv.   You hear shots,  but it's blacked out.

ETA (later)  --.found an unedited slomo version of the bodycam footage.   Yes,  sadly,  it looks like she was attacking with a knife and was mid-swing in the process of plunging it into the pink-clad girl who was shoved up against a car.   It does appear the knife would have gone in, without an immediate use of force.   It's horrific to watch.   And speaks to a fairly high level of rage... it's incredible,  there's a cop right there,  and she keeps right on, shifting her attack from one girl to the other.

From a different angle....

https://twitter.com/detranmusic/status/1384943308556980228?s=12

Deal with the issue at hand, Larry, instead of trying to deflect and change the subject, which is another favorite tool you employ.

The Columbus cop. Based on the video, which is what most of these public cases are becoming based upon, did that cop do the right thing?

There is a dead girl.

Could be my grandkid.

No. I’m not gonna sign off on saying the cop did the “right” thing.

Why because I’ve seen too much death and violence and one thing I can tell you for sure is life does not happen in super slow motion.

From my own experience the officer didn’t use his command voice “STOP! DROP THAT KNIFE!

Terrible out come of a terrible situation but no, no one gets to call killing a kid “doing the right thing.”

You keep ignoring the life that was saved by the immediate action.

You also don't quite get that the knife wielder was in a full on rage to kill.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: April 22, 2021, 07:27:30 AM »

But what about Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Marianas?

Want to add 10 more Senators in Congress, and at least 10 more in the House?
Granting Senators to DC is too much, IMO.

Puerto Rico should be given statehood. This is pretty clear, especially since both major party's platforms have called for it (though the GOP currently only calls for a referendum at this point).

USVI, Guam, and the Marianas have not indicated a desire for statehood. American Samoa's residents are not equivalent - they are not American citizens and their government has indicated that they have no desire to change status.

But even if they were all admitted to the Union, it would not mean more members of the House, necessarily, let alone 10 of them. It would result in reapportionment of the 435 we already have.

DC is larger in population than Wyoming and Vermont. It would likely get one Representative, but not disrupt the whole very much.

Puerto Rico's population is larger than 20 states! They'd likely end up with 4 Representatives and 6 EVs.

That you don't want to give DC voters the right to form a state is hardly shocking.

How do you feel about the US VI?! Or Puerto Rico?

They can join a state. As I said.

No need to give outsized power to it, as creating a state would.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:39:36 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 2929