Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765084 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6000 on: April 25, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »

I was waiting for the definitive NY Times piece on the Brown shooting - now I can begin to see the truth

heh
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: April 25, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »

Writing for the majority, Antonin Scalia argued
that the operative clause of the amendment, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” codifies an individual right derived from English common law and codified in the English Bill of Rights (1689)....

Scalia had a bad day hunting with Dick and got it wrong; four other justices got it right.
Bad decision like so many other lately.

My thought is:  hello,  it's 2021, world changed since England in 1689.  "Originalism" makes less sense with each passing year.
"Originalism" would have gone the other way. Textually a statement of a provisions purpose has weight. The Court disregarded that .
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: April 25, 2021, 05:47:06 PM »

that the operative clause of the amendment, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” codifies an individual right derived from English common law and codified in the English Bill of Rights (1689)....

Scalia had a bad day hunting with Dick and got it wrong; four other justices got it right.

My thought is:  hello,  it's 2021, world changed since England in 1689.  "Originalism" makes less sense with each passing year.
nothing has changed. The right to defend oneself is a natural right.  The Constitution won’t allow that right to be taken away.
So you are ok with Roe and Griswold? There is no Constitutional right to self-defense.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: April 25, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »

nothing has changed. The right to defend oneself is a natural right.  The Constitution won’t allow that right to be taken away.
So you are ok with Roe and Griswold? There is no Constitutional right to self-defense.
There is no need for one in the Constitution. That right pre-dated the Constitution.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6005 on: April 25, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »

There is no need for one in the Constitution. That right pre-dated the Constitution.

Get the fuck out of here.

Lord....
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: April 25, 2021, 06:37:21 PM »

In 2019, 259 Black people were killed by police in the United States. This compares to 182 Hispanics, 13 Native Americans, and 406 White people. The rate of police shootings of Black Americans is much higher than any other ethnicity, at 30 per million people. This rate stands at 23 per million for Hispanics and 12 per million for Whites. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1124036/number-people-killed-police-ethnicity-us/

So,  Kid,  your numbers seem quite low,  and possibly wrong unless there was some magical full year in which police only killed 42.

And those numbers are low, too, but far more accurate than Kid's bogus stats.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: April 25, 2021, 07:06:56 PM »

"Originalism" would have gone the other way. Textually a statement of a provisions purpose has weight. The Court disregarded that .

And lest we forget....Scalia believed American Justices should not look to othe countries' laws
to inform our system of justice.
We don’t.
Self defense is based on Common Law (dating back to 1066) and has been incorporated by all State governments in the USA.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: April 25, 2021, 07:27:51 PM »

Joe and Co's new CARBON TAX

Yikes!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hershshefrin/2021/03/25/president-bidens-monumental-climate-policy-mistake-about-carbon-pricing-will-be-very-costly/?sh=70f543526b51

President Biden’s Policy Mistake About Carbon Pricing Will Be Monumental

President Biden is in the process of making a monumental climate policy blunder. And unless he reverses course, the end result will be incredibly costly for the country and the world. Despite President Biden’s gargantuan spending proposal for addressing climate change, his plan sidesteps putting in place a policy that would price carbon at its social cost.
The odds that his overall program will succeed, without carbon being priced at something near its social cost, are low. Or to put it differently, without sensible carbon pricing, the failure risk is very high.

At its root, the problem is psychological, as well as physical. To my mind, both Biden and Kerry and their allies in the Democratic party suffer from a lack of self-control, reinforced by confirmation bias and motivated reasoning, wishful thinking, and risk taking in the domain of losses.

#####

Not the carbon tax...oh no!
That's tax...another tax.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: April 25, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

And lest we forget....Scalia believed American Justices should not look to othe countries' laws
We don’t.
Self defense is based on Common Law (dating back to 1066) and has been incorporated by all State governments in the USA.

If we are going by Common Law, your rights to self arming are restricted by station. You are too low to pack heat, as am I. Stick to bill hooks. Have one ready in case you are conscripted. You’ll get to stand between me and the other side’s cannon.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: April 25, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »

Tax is good, Bambi. Tax is that’s keeping you from being eaten by dingoes these many long years.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: April 25, 2021, 07:40:03 PM »

https://www.afr.com/policy/energy-and-climate/us-takes-tougher-line-on-carbon-border-tax-20210425-p57m82

US takes tougher line on carbon border tax

Australian exporters face growing scrutiny and financial costs under a potential US border adjustment scheme that Joe Biden has threatened to put at the centre of his fight against climate change.

At last week’s 40-country climate summit hosted by Mr Biden, which heralded Washington’s emphatic return to global carbon policymaking with a bold pledge to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 50 per cent to 52 per cent by 2030, the administration also quietly sharpened its warning to laggards: failure to curb emissions means America will tax your exports.

#####

Oh no, not the Border Adjustment Scheme!

'Threatened'?
'Warning to laggards'?

That Nice Mr Trump did not have such nasty policies...he had Waltzing Matilda sung at the state dinner he hosted at the White House for ScoMo/Australia.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:08:03 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: April 25, 2021, 08:04:39 PM »

Tax is good, Bambi. Tax is that’s keeping you from being eaten by dingoes these many long years.

No dingoes near me...the longest fence in the world was constructed and is patrolled/maintained to keep them away from me.
Dingo usually only attacks babies and small children [or small ladies crouched down at a billabong [small lake], who look like small child.

Leftist Prime Minister Julia Gillard tried the carbox tax, having promised before the election not to.
"There will be no carbon tax under the govt I lead".

She teamed up with the Greens [leader at the time Bob Brown] to stay in power...in came a carbon tax.
'We the People' went nutz!

Protest rallies everywhere!
'Convoys to Canberra' [your Washington DC] there were.
Mostly older folk...["enough with extra taxes"]...not working during the week.
One Leftist leading politician called it "The Convoy of Incontinence".
The People then went super nutz!
Named her "Juliar".
Huge placard at the big protest [where yet to be PM 'The Monk' Tony Abbott took the stage to address the crowd.
At the back of the stage was a huge placard 'Juliar, Bob Brown's B..ch'.
Another "Ditch the Witch".
Ms Gillard went off like a Saturn rocket about them...shouted "Mysogyny!" from the rooftops.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2011/03/24/bob-brown%E2%80%99s-bitch-is-not-a-good-look-for-tony-abbott/

#####

'The Monk' won the next election in a landslide.
"Carbon tax...baaah!" said the People.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:10:52 PM by bambu. »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: April 25, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »

We don’t.
Which does not make it a right.

So you oppose "tort reform"? Because what you just said about self defense applies to all of tort law, including not having artificial limitations to damages. As.one.example.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: April 25, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »

We don’t.
Which does not make it a right.

Oh, but it does and augmented by case law.  Reread Heller, for starters.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:12:05 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 2929