Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764308 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6375 on: May 02, 2021, 03:05:41 PM »

Public radio station WITF (and how much do I love those call letters) has decided maybe not to forget who attacked democracy.

These elected officials, WITF reminded its audience, either knowingly spread disinformation or flat-out lied in an effort to keep Trump in office.

“This was an unprecedented assault on the fabric of American democracy,” the statement said.

The station has stuck to its pledge in its day-to-day coverage ever since, by simply and without fanfare including boilerplate language about how lawmakers conducted themselves during the attempts to overturn the election whenever they are mentioned in the course of regular news coverage....   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/the-politicians-who-tried-to-overturn-an-election--and-the-local-news-team-that-wont-let-anyone-forget-it/2021/05/01/cc8764f6-a91e-11eb-8d25-7b30e74923ea_story.html

More stations should definitely be doing this.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: May 02, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »

James Carville on Cancel Culture

First of all, it sounds — I call it the politics of the faculty lounge, and in my view, if you want to — in politics, you should speak the language of the people,” he said. “You should speak clear, direct English and address people as they address each other, not like the humanities department at Amherst wants you to address everybody.

According to the veteran political media personality,( a democrat) the approach will not motivate an electorate to win elections.

Most of the people that are enthused by this kind of dialogue live in Boston or Manhattan or Washington, but we’re going to carry D.C. and New York and Massachusetts,” Carville said. “We’re not going to win an election in a faculty lounge. That’s just — that’s just idiotic. I mean, I’m not saying you’re idiotic. That whole assumption is idiotic. And the number of people that have contacted me or had people contact me after this has been enormously gratifying. Everybody just wanted this temperature to break. I think that — I get people saying they’re woke, and they’re tired of being woke. People want to — after this pandemic and stuff, people want to go about their lives, they want to enjoy it, they want to enjoy their friends.”

“They don’t want to be nervous about how you address them or talk to them or anything,” he added. “And, you know, that’s just where people are, and people have gotten fired over this, people have lost their jobs over retweeting academic research. I mean, time and time again, you hear this from everybody, and of course, people say I don’t want to say anything because I’ll lose my job. Well, it so happens that I’m just at a point in life where there’s nothing to cancel me from, so I don’t care. Do what you want to do.”

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 03:28:16 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: May 02, 2021, 03:31:29 PM »

I watched Dr Charles Stanley on television today, he preaches every Sunday on KTLA channel 5 in Los Angeles at 11:00 a.m. His message today was really great.

He said that we need to have faith in God during the dark times, and he said that God will walk with us through the dark times, and then when we come into the light we need to share what we learned in the dark in the light. God will teach us in the dark, and we need to teach what we learned once we come into the light. And that which came as a whisper we need to shout from the roof tops.

God loves it when we share stories about how God walked with us during the dark times and as we share about how God saved us.

God has always been with me, and I have tried to follow God, though I have made some mistakes as has all men, and I was in a terrible automobile accident that left me with chronic pain, I was in horrible pain everyday,  and the doctors said that there was nothing that they could do and they just gave me pain pills. I did not want to get addicted to pain pills so I did not take the pain pills, I just toughed it out and I prayed to God, then after 2 years of chronic pain I was on my knees praying, and then I felt like fire run up and down my spine and God took away my pain, and from then on I have been pain free. God gave me a miracle and God took away my pain.

God has always been with me, and God has given me miracles. I have made mistakes but Jesus died so that I am forgiven, and God has walked with me and God has given me miracles.

It is such a blessing not to be in pain anymore. I suffered horribly for 2 years, but I kept my faith, and God gave me a miracle and God healed me.

So, that was Dr Stanley's message, keep the faith and God will walk with you through the dark times, and then when God saves you then you need to share what you learned when you are in the light.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: May 02, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »

I watched Dr Charles Stanley on television today, he preaches every Sunday on KTLA channel 5 in Los Angeles at 11:00 a.m. His message today was really great.

He said that we need to have faith in God during the dark times, and he said that God will walk with us through the dark times
God loves it when we share stories about how God walked with us during the dark times and as we share about how God saved us.

I am sure it was of great solace to the Jews of Europe that God would walk with them through the darkness, as their children were taken and then their lives.

Or the Chinese under Mao, the various Russians under Stalin, etc.

And if God loves it when we share such stories, it sounds more narcissistic than deific.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: May 02, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »

Carville burnishing his rightwing credentials is great. He can round up disaffected secret ex republicans at shrimp boils all over the country, so really no more than 15% of the party according to data so far, and lead them to the light. We’ll need ambassadors like that to fully dismember the constituencies that make up the republican party so the rough beast never rises again.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: May 02, 2021, 03:48:42 PM »

Texas stays red.
In a three way primary the democrat was the odd candidate out.
dems missing another opportunity.

barton

« Reply #6381 on: May 02, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »

What people like Noam Chomsky or James Carville or Margaret Atwood or Martin Amis are talking about is a real problem in academia where free speech issues have been pretty real.   Agreeing that professors shouldn't be fired for conservative opinions isn't the same as saying it's cool to violate professional standards of conduct (like pushing your religion in a public school,  or making racist,  sexist,  transphobic personal attacks on students,  for example).  Chomsky and Carville are defenders of healthy intellectual life in all its stimulating clashes of ideas,  but they aren't suggesting it's a "cancel" to expect people at lecterns or pulpits to not abuse their privilege or code of ethics.   

I heartily agree with Carville in his challenge to us to use clear direct English.   Advice both conservatives and liberals could take,  perhaps for somewhat different reasons.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: May 02, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »

one has to ask if the first two candidates in the special election were Rs, it seems unlikely that a D would fair well in the general.

Red is a spinning dolt, spinning because he and his party stand for nothing and if it didn't spin, it would likely fall right over.

barton

« Reply #6383 on: May 02, 2021, 04:07:26 PM »

God has always been with me, and I have tried to follow God, though I have made some mistakes as has all men, and I was in a terrible automobile accident that left me with chronic pain, I was in horrible pain everyday,  and the doctors said that there was nothing that they could do and they just gave me pain pills. I did not want to get addicted to pain pills so I did not take the pain pills, I just toughed it out and I prayed to God, then after 2 years of chronic pain I was on my knees praying, and then I felt like fire run up and down my spine and God took away my pain, and from then on I have been pain free. God gave me a miracle and God took away my pain.

I believe that some people do really improve their mind/body connection through a spiritual practice and can get some amazing results.   Many pain meds can dull that mind/body link,  so it's likely you chose the better path for healing.   

(it's also worth noting that being on one's knees tends to relax spinal muscles and often helps relieve pressure on disks, so there could be a simple physical aspect,  too)

I leave the metaphysical aspect to the philosophers and theologians.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: May 02, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »

FTR, I can't stand woke.

People got to wake the fuck up and stop seeing political correctness in every fucking sentence we speak.

The real cancel culture is the Republican Party's attempt to cancel majority rule in this country.

WAKE THE FUCK UP.

Somebody called somebody a bad name 10 years ago, forgive them, don't fire them

move on

and you know what some people are cock-sucking assholes, most of us have at least one CSA we had to deal with.

Grow the fuck up and allow other people to evolve.

WAKE UP or better yet take a fucking nap, your brain is tired screening all the pc bullshit and it needs a rest.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: May 02, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »

LMFAO

MSNBC now using Trump to knock current Republicans who are reportedly not in step.

"This is Trump's party"

Before the tone was 180 degrees different
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: May 02, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »

And at Old Trafford today - English football fans mimic Jan 6 Americans.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: May 02, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »

Texas stays red.

ahh....come on - its a 60% district - never in doubt

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: May 02, 2021, 04:46:43 PM »

“They don’t want to be nervous about how you address them or talk to them or anything,” he added. “And, you know, that’s just where people are, and people have gotten fired over this, people have lost their jobs over retweeting academic research. I mean, time and time again, you hear this from everybody, and of course, people say I don’t want to say anything because I’ll lose my job. Well, it so happens that I’m just at a point in life where there’s nothing to cancel me from, so I don’t care. Do what you want to do.”

The GREAT James Carville

Miss him a lot on the airwaves

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: May 02, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »

Texas stays red.

ahh....come on - its a 60% district - never in doubt
The dems were enthusiastic  they were making inroads. Trump carried the district by double digits in 2016 but Biden came within 3 points of flipping that last November.
A swing and a miss for the dems.
Now a non contested  race for the GOP.
Campaign money to use elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 2929