Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762839 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6795 on: May 10, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »

Some useful stats there,  which could wake up some of the Redwards out there regarding why some aren't rushing back to the restaurant biz.  It's especially tough for moms who  can't find childcare that covers food service hours.   The article made me aware of pitfalls of hospitality jobs that I was hearing about (and experienced myself) over 40 years ago.   They put up with a lot of shit. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: May 10, 2021, 07:39:12 PM »

Biden says Americans must accept a job or lose unemployment benefits after disappointing jobs report

DUH!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: May 10, 2021, 07:55:15 PM »

Some useful stats there,  which could wake up some of the Redwards out there regarding why some aren't rushing back to the restaurant biz.  It's especially tough for moms who  can't find childcare that covers food service hours.   The article made me aware of pitfalls of hospitality jobs that I was hearing about (and experienced myself) over 40 years ago.   They put up with a lot of shit.
You are advised to do some research.
The “ restaurant biz” is private businesses included in the general heading of Leisure and Hospitality  which added
313,000 jobs thanks to the lessening of lockdowns.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:57:32 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: May 10, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »

PAUL KRUGMAN

Republicans Are Still Waging War on Workers
May 10, 2021, 4:37 p.m. ET 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/opinion/jobs-unemployment-benefits-republicans.html

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »

The “ restaurant biz” is private businesses under the general heading of Leisure and Hospitality  which added

You need to do your research before flapping your wrinkled mouth labia.

Still a shortage in L and H,  due to the reasons the Moody Analytics found (read the article Fac posted).   Childcare shortage,  low wages,  poor conditions, future virus threats,   bad bosses.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »

http://www.vice.com/en/article/93yy75/qanon-has-an-alarming-new-plan-to-steal-arizona-for-trump

“Like idiots.”

There are a few reps left who are at least a little self aware in Arizona’s GOP.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: May 10, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »

The “ restaurant biz” is private businesses under the general heading of Leisure and Hospitality  which added

Still a shortage in L and H,  due to the reasons the Moody Analytics found (read the article Fac posted).   Childcare shortage,  low wages,  poor conditions, future virus threats,   bad bosses.
313,000 jobs ADDED in Leisure and Hospitality 
Could have been a lot more if restaurants could return to 100 per cent capacity.
Kind of destroys your feeble lie.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:22:31 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6802 on: May 10, 2021, 08:47:21 PM »

Could have been a lot more if restaurants could return to 100 per cent capacity.

Tax the rich

https://apple.news/A9U5x0tvgQzGqA5RPOyNqiQ
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #6803 on: May 10, 2021, 09:04:02 PM »

Adding jobs doesn't equal full employment, or mean there aren't shortages.   Ever hear of "seasonal adjustment" of labor stats?   Jobs tend to increase in the Spring,  so that will mask shortages unless seasonal effects are factored in.   There are still fewer females returning to hospitality jobs for the reasons OC listed.   Hence,  signs in windows asking for help.   

For example, all the job gains in April went to men. The number of women employed or looking for work fell by 64,000, a reminder that child-care issues are still in play...   

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: May 10, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »

Biden says Americans must accept a job or lose unemployment benefits after disappointing jobs report

DUH!

All very nice, but; the person being made accept the job must be able to do the job without mental or physical harm.

Young women, for example, should not be made work in massage parlors, brothels, nudie bars, strip clubs etc if they don't want to...as happened in Europe.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: May 10, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »

Adding jobs doesn't equal full employment, or mean there aren't shortages.
DUH!
Ever hear of "seasonal adjustment" of labor stats? 
This wasn’t one of them.
There are still fewer females returning to hospitality jobs for the reasons OC listed.   Hence,  signs in windows asking for help. 

For example, all the job gains in April went to men. The number of women employed or looking for work fell by 64,000, a reminder that child-care issues are still in play...   

Totally false. The unemployment rate for women fell to 5.6% 
Men rose to 6.1.

Mainly because the lockdowns eased.

In April, employment in leisure and hospitality increased by 331,000, as pandemic-related
restrictions continued to ease in many parts of the country. More than half of the increase
was in food services and drinking places (+187,000). Job gains also occurred in amusements,
gambling, and recreation (+73,000) and in accommodation (+54,000). Although leisure and
hospitality has added 5.4 million jobs over the year, employment in the industry is down
by 2.8 million, or 16.8 percent, since February 2020.

Women more than held their own.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »

In which she was outbid for housing, but... it's racism.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2021/05/i-was-outbid-on-my-dream-home-in-this-crazy-real-estate-market-and-im-heartbroken-opinion.html

Oh, okay.

She was not attributing the bidding war to racism. (she mentioned, correctly, the effects of coronavirus on buying trends, and shortages of affordable new housing)  You have to read the entire article.  She said racism existed in access to financial instruments, steering, and redlining, and more generally historical forces that blocked PoC families from developing investments in the country's real estate stock.  And posted sources to back her claims.  You should try that sometime.

I read the piece, because unlike a lot of people here, I read what I post.

I also read the headline.

She's essentially ticked off because she lost the house of her dreams, and then she goes on to make it about being black.

No, it isn't about her being black. it was about her getting outbid, andd outplayed at the game. 

The complaint about "gentrification", too, adds to the "poor us" attitude. She's for integration, but only on her terms.

Got it.

Bottom line, better learn this song:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9sDn_2XkI

How many times have you had a black woman supervisor?

It’s not hard to figure out where your feelings of inadequacy originate.

That's not an argument, Larry.

Try again.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: May 10, 2021, 10:25:26 PM »

More driver-created mayhem

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/politics/virginia-woman-state-police-officers-arrest/index.html

I am black and therefore entitled to say FUCK YOU when pulled over
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6808 on: May 10, 2021, 10:54:48 PM »

More driver-created mayhem

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/politics/virginia-woman-state-police-officers-arrest/index.html

I am black and therefore entitled to say FUCK YOU when pulled over

Fuck YOU!

”Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney Steve Descano, in an April letter to state police, said a review of dashcam footage showed the stop had no legal basis”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: May 11, 2021, 12:50:58 AM »

Fucktard Larry justifies all actions because of one statement

heh

LB doing great service in enabling his people
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 2929