Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 2715

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 498656 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8040 on: May 30, 2021, 03:20:17 PM »

The best job that I had as a teen was working on a hot air balloon crew, I worked for several balloonists in the desert of Southern California, and I was paid $60 per hour, which was a lot of money back in the 1980's. And it was a lot better than washing dogs, or mowing lawns. It was easy money.

My first car was a VW Baja Bug, which was great out in the desert, it was a perfect first car for the desert. I bought my car by working for the Burbank YMCA at a summer camp in the mountains by Tehachapi, I cleaned toilets and washed dishes all summer and spent my money on a Baja Bug. I was about 15 when I bought my Baja Bug.

Salute,

Tony V.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: May 30, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »

---Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez again insisted that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) isn't broken and argued that the healthcare system should be fully funded and protected from privatization despite years of dysfunction, long wait times, and substandard care.---

No problems!

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-va-veterans-affairs-isnt-broken-veterans-disagree-2019-4

My Tampa primary ordered bloodwork than did not review the numbers. I had to go back to my NY primary who advised me of a problem area. Pandemic is a nifty excuse for many VA Drs. to shut down and deny services. The new VA head does not inspire confidence. Nor does the present administration with their misguided priorities.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: May 30, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »

I had a seasonal business starting when  I was 10 or so, raked leaves in the fall, shovelled driveways in the winter, some lawns and caddied in the summer. Carried doubles, two loops. It wasn't bad money for a kid in '63.

The only thing I could draw was a conclusion and I figured out by 19, driving a fork lift wasn't a great career path.

Picked fruits and veggies at a local farm and sold pints and quarts of them by pulling a wagon through the neighborhood going to door to door, age 9. Had the morning paper route, 100 houses, at age 12, and then I learned how some folks don't pay their bills, and never will. Cut lawns for cash at 13-14. By 15 was working summers as a lifeguard and other odd jobs during school days. Hustled 8-ball and 9-ball in bars as a 19 year-old to pay for college tuition, and worked 3 other jobs (restaurant, pub, and stadium concessions) while taking full course loads.

My first car wasn't until I was 24, and then it didn't have reverse. My first new car was in 1981. Got a great deal on a Toyota Celica ST, and beat the man for a loan that had only 12.5% interest. Ahhhh...the good old days...

The point is, there are lots of people here who made something of their lives without having things handed to them.

They also didn't catch a break by getting hired for because of their skin color or gender, and as time went on, though they are resented for that which they did to earn their living and for taking care of their families.

Many of us here do not need to apologize to anyone for what they've earned, and for the breaks they've had, and for seizing the opportunities that emerged for them.

And we were too busy making our lives work to go about oppressing yours or anyone else's. And in many cases, our work was actually enabling the success of others.

So fuck off with the racist labels, Larry and Little Stevie of AZ, and the rest of you SJW Klan members. Your overly simplistic view of our world is as narrow as any bigots' anywhere.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:33:31 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: May 30, 2021, 03:44:16 PM »

Re head starts

As I recall Larry had a Chevelle SS as a 17 YO, my folks let me drive a '64 VW bug, until I totalled it. I'm pretty sure Larry had an edge over me and my dead Red bug. Learned to drive a stick though. Learned to drive a fork lift too.  Pay sucked, but it and some poker paid my end of the rent and eventually college.

Utley what did you drive as a kid?

I had a 5 year old Galaxy 500 for two months on the condition that I sell it back at the end of the summer, when I was 16, to get to work in. The following year, I got to borrow my sibling's car while she was not able to drive it, for that summer.

It was a few years before I had another, my own without strings.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8044 on: May 30, 2021, 03:46:17 PM »

And people like me are still on the same level as you.

Larry Horatio Alger.

The problem with this argument is you presume others here had a head start. Not always the case.

Are you white?

If so you had the best head start ant man can have in this nation.

My family gave me a great foundation but I’ve had to start from scratch more than a couple times (you always try to make fun of how many jobs I’ve had, no?) and still ended up fairly comfortable.

Man I had to grind to the point of wearing out my body. Hell, this is my sixth major surgery including a total hip replacement at forty and cervical and lumbar spinal fusions in the last two years.

I'm sure you worked hard.

I don't think you should presume that others didn't, or didn't have to do so merely because of their skin color.

You had a fucking head start. Don’t minimize it. Recognize it and stop being so fucking racist.

White guys can be just another Joe and make out just fine.

Oh? So white people are racist by virtue of their skin color, a circumstance beyond their control, tanning beds excluded, of course?

Larry, the reason you think everyone is racist is because you require it to justify your bullshit.

I said YOU ARE RACIST.

a lucky break is a lucky break and if you’re born white in America you caught a lucky break.

I got it, Larry. You said what you said. It DOES NOT MAKE IT SO, no matter what you say or what your SJW Klan says.

If I am successful in my life, it's because I am white, and if you lack any success in your life, it's because you're black.

Maybe some day you'll see how stupid it is to base success or failure in one's life on such bullshit, especially when opportunities abound in this country to build whatever kind of life you really want.

But then that would be like tossing crutches away after your next hip surgery and saying, "I don't need these!"

Ain't gonna happen, is it?

No more hip surgeries but I did throw my crutches down in 8th grade when a guy came 8n the first floor boys room and told me, Tommy C and Billy L, to give him our pants. I smacked him in knee with the crutch and me, the Filipino kid and the Jewish kid (we were they guys who ran the projectors and played in the band) took his pants and shoved him into the hallway.

I took my bad hips and merely competent trumpet skills to college and was in the Marching Band you have no ideas how much work and pain that took but by god I was gonna do it and for two seasons I did.

I even tried to fake my way through ROTC but they noticed my left leg is an 1 1/2 inches longer than my right leg. By the time I washed out I had successfully pledged the National Honor Society of Pershing Rifles.

I met my frat brother Gen. Colin Powell when I was st Sojourners and we were at the 1997 President’s Summit for America. Ya shoulda seen my SJW buds faces when I walked to the General spoke the code into his ear and exchange the shake and a hug. Don’t forget, we were a big anti-war org.

See, You just don’t get it.

Being black in the  USA is a hurdle and bro I’ve gone over, under and through.

I consider myself to be wildly successful and I have very few regrets because I got to the plate more than once and I took my hacks.

My ONLY regret is after all this grinding I don’t have my partner with me and even that is qualified by the fact we had a great run and have left a fantastic legacy.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8045 on: May 30, 2021, 03:49:00 PM »

The best job that I had as a teen was working on a hot air balloon crew, I worked for several balloonists in the desert of Southern California, and I was paid $60 per hour, which was a lot of money back in the 1980's. And it was a lot better than washing dogs, or mowing lawns. It was easy money.

My first car was a VW Baja Bug, which was great out in the desert, it was a perfect first car for the desert. I bought my car by working for the Burbank YMCA at a summer camp in the mountains by Tehachapi, I cleaned toilets and washed dishes all summer and spent my money on a Baja Bug. I was about 15 when I bought my Baja Bug.

Salute,

Tony V.

When I’m in California I love going to see the hot air balloons out in wine country and I am sad to
say I never have the guts to actually ride one.

But it is such a beautiful sight at sunrise, all 5he various colors and gouts of flame.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: May 30, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »

Yeah, Larry I got your great life story down. Can't wait until Hollywood picks it up and gets Sterling K. Brown to co-star in it with you and your son.

What you don't get Larry is that there is no failure allowed in white male culture. POC and women can fail and blame white man's society for it.

White men who fail can only blame themselves.

That really tears up a lot of folks.

Fear of failure can be a great motivation, or it can cripple one.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: May 30, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »

I had a seasonal business starting when  I was 10 or so, raked leaves in the fall, shovelled driveways in the winter, some lawns and caddied in the summer. Carried doubles, two loops. It wasn't bad money for a kid in '63.

The only thing I could draw was a conclusion and I figured out by 19, driving a fork lift wasn't a great career path.

In 63 I was five.

Excuses, excuses.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8048 on: May 30, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »

Be honest UNO, being white didn’t hurt you, did it.

Being a black who didn’t know his place got me excommunicated from The Suffolk County Democratic Committee because I broke the rules and took my campaigns to 5he white districts.

No democrat could win any office in Suffolk County without getting 80-90 % of black voters in the black districts. White Democrats could split the white vote and win on strength of black votes. Black candidates, in other words performed as rabbits for white candidates except we knocked on doors in the white districts. Pissed off the old black establishment and I got 5hrown to the wolves instead of “Hey this guy is good.”

First campaign I worked was phone banking and designing lit for North Amityville and Wyandanch on behalf of Tom Downey who 9nly show3d his face 3very two years in early November.

By 1992 I was persona non grata so I took Tom Downey’s Republican opponent through the black districts long before the last Sunday’s in October (when candidates show up at black church) to the different community organizations ladies clubs barber shops and youth centers.

Why? Because Rick Lazio was a friend from when he was a baby ADA in Frans office at Suffolk County DA.

I got it, Larry. You said what you said. It DOES NOT MAKE IT SO, no matter what you say or what your SJW Klan says.

Tell that to banks who says he he deals in facts.

However, what FACTS can has he presented to prove I tried to mislead the forum?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8049 on: May 30, 2021, 04:15:55 PM »

Yeah, Larry I got your great life story down. Can't wait until Hollywood picks it up and gets Sterling K. Brown to co-star in it with you and your son.

What you don't get Larry is that there is no failure allowed in white male culture. POC and women can fail and blame white man's society for it.

White men who fail can only blame themselves.

That really tears up a lot of folks.

Fear of failure can be a great motivation, or it can cripple one.

Oh, you’re envious.

You talk shit while I did shit.

You’ve always tried to project your fears on me right, VIC?

Things didn’t go your way, huh VIC?

How many times you accuse me of embracing VICTIMHOOD, huh VIC?

You can only blame yourselves.

Born into bad circumstances? Get a good education, a decent haircut and a modest suit and bust your ass and you will be a success.

Wrong ethnicity? Do all 5he above, get a rhinoplasty change your name and voila!

Success. Read JD Vance. He’s an asshole but his story is real.

We used to joke:

What do you ask black man in a three piece suit?

“Will the defendant rise?”

What do you call a Harvard educated black man who rises up to be POTUS?

“Nigger”.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8050 on: May 30, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »

They also didn't catch a break by getting hired for because of their skin color or gender, and as time went on, though they are resented for that which they did to earn their living and for taking care of their families.

How many times have you been accused of being an affirmative action hire?

Been told the only reason you’re their boss is because they had to fill a quota and your degree and experience had noth8ng to do with it?

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #8051 on: May 30, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »

Retired from that arena, I now volunteer to provide food for the poor and the elderly in my diverse community.

Aren't they just lazy parasites, playing the victim card, thinking they're entitled to a free handout?   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: May 30, 2021, 04:25:54 PM »

Re head starts

As I recall Larry had a Chevelle SS as a 17 YO, my folks let me drive a '64 VW bug, until I totalled it. I'm pretty sure Larry had an edge over me and my dead Red bug. Learned to drive a stick though. Learned to drive a fork lift too.  Pay sucked, but it and some poker paid my end of the rent and eventually college.

Utley what did you drive as a kid?

I had a 5 year old Galaxy 500 for two months on the condition that I sell it back at the end of the summer, when I was 16, to get to work in. The following year, I got to borrow my sibling's car while she was not able to drive it, for that summer.

It was a few years before I had another, my own without strings.

My father drove a Galaxie 500. After I totaled my mom's VW in '68, she got a Toyota Corona, ('64) which was little more than a lawn mower on bigger wheels. She let me take it to Woodstock. She was a good doobie. Thanks mom. Toyotas were sort of rare on the East Coast back then. As an aside I went to B-school with the now CEO of Toyota. He was an indifferent student, but he knew he had a decent job coming out of school. Now this guy had a head start! He borrowed my notes in a couple of classes. When they had that huge recall about 10 years ago, (bad brakes) I knew I should have taken better notes in Industrial Mgmt!

The first car I owned was when I was around 23 and bought a very used Chevy Bel-Air. 

First new car I bought was a '77 Datsun B210.

Should have waited a year or so, and might have gotten a a deal on a Toyota.

barton

« Reply #8053 on: May 30, 2021, 04:30:27 PM »

Re head starts

Like we're separated at birth.   I started with a 65 VW bug,  and also learned to drive a forklift -- working in an ironworks that made manhole covers.  Never much good at cards,  though.     Peace, B.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8054 on: May 30, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »

We all hustled.

We’ve all succeeded.

Some of us had to be exceptional to end up in similar situations.

That’s America.

And yeah, I could probably do a Hollywood treatment of my family because I PUT MYSELF IN SITUATIONS WHERE I COULD SUCCEED OR FAIL SPECTACULARLY.

I’ve had my opportunities AND I TOOK THEM.

My greatest accomplishments are my adult children.

We put them in the very best schools Washington has to offer where they were in a situation where they COULD NOT FAIL and they thrived.

One Friday afternoon my kid had a football game and I decid3d I wanted him to know I was there for him. I took off work and went to the cathedral and stood in a monsoon while I watched my 7th grader play.

I’m there with two other proudly foolish dad, Adrian Dantley and Tim Russert. Tim says, “Larry, is there anywhere you’d rather be?”

“He’ll no!”

Knowing full well I was getting docked but by God my kid would know I had his back 100%.

I owed him because the year before I was unemployed Floyd who took a gig as a tour guide driving a trolley bus and spouting bullshit.

Part of the tour was talking about the Washington Cathedral and it’s schools and I’d say I was doing this for my son’s tuition and right on cue we pass the playground and my kid sees me.
There he is with the future masters of the universe whose parents run the country.

He sees me and starts jumping  up and down waving  and screaming “Daddy! Daddy!” With fucking pride.

Talk about motivation.

I took big risks when I had mouths to feed and a partner who by then was having her ass kicked by MS.

I’m sorry you didn’t swing for fences.

I did and I’ll take my strikeout to HR ratio.

Oh, yeah got arrested a lot for civil disobedience.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 2715