Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757286 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9675 on: June 16, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/6/18/21294825/history-of-juneteenth

Ain’t no party like a Juneteenth party cause a Juneteenth party don’t stop.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: June 16, 2021, 07:23:05 PM »

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.

freedom fighter:
: a person who takes part in a resistance movement against an oppressive political or social establishment

terrorist
person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

The terms are not interchangeable.
Nelson Mandela can never be equated to Osama Bin Laden.
Never? Someone did. Why do you think they put him in prison?

Huh? He was originally acquitted for his part avenging mass murder of blacks and only after years of revenge tactics by a white supremacist Government was he put in prison for life.
He was a freedom fighter. But never a terrorist.
He was thrown into jail by the South African government for conspiracy to overthrow the government through the SACP and another group the South African government regarded as being dedicated to the violent overthrow of the government.  The South African government viewed Mandela as a terrorist and rebel, even as the ever-enlightened Red did not.  Which is the point of the "one man's terrorist...." cliche I cited.  Another example, I guess, was  Menachem Begin.
Critical thinking escapes you.
But it is enlightening to know that if a black man fights back against white supremacism ( while avoiding attacking innocent civilians) it’s your definition of terrorism.
If Nelson Mandela is to labeled a terrorist by you there are a ton of historians who beg to differ.
Have you always been illiterate, Red?

Both Mandela and Begin won Nobel Peace Prizes.
Can you name a terrorist who has?
Arafat.
Better do a better look unto history than a quick google search.

Ward says, "I have no refutation for your comment. Or Josh's."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: June 16, 2021, 07:27:54 PM »

Red is quickly moving from an object of scorn to an object of pity.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: June 16, 2021, 07:29:21 PM »

Moving?

That happened years ago for me.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9679 on: June 16, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »

House GOP ‘Back the Blue’ when they’re beating the shit out of BLM protestors but fuck the Capitol Police that battled to defend their sorry asses on 1/6!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/kinzinger-swalwell-call-out-disrespectful-gop-congressman-say-he-refused-to-shake-hands-with-officer-attacked-on-1-6/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: June 16, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »

LOL!
Begin, Mandela, and Arafat as terrorists.
Why not throw in,
say, Nathan Hale as well.?

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: June 16, 2021, 07:56:49 PM »

You're overthinking it, Che.

When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself?

I mean, if you think it's all about the perpetrators, begin at the beginning, Che.

No terrorism, no counterattack.
You view terrorism as the beginning? Interesting place to start.

Do, a deer,  a female deer....

What's missing from several posters here is a grasp of what terrorism comes from.   Groups of people that lack the military power to wage war tend to respond to stronger oppressors with terror attacks.   I haven't read up the thread yet,  but I feel someone is going to point out that one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.   

Julie Andrews has much to teach us..

Timothy McVeigh teach you that?

Precisely the kind of shallow insult posting you claim to find deplorable when others do it.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9682 on: June 16, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »

LOL!
Why not throw in,

Or Sam Adams
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: June 16, 2021, 08:09:36 PM »

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.

freedom fighter:
: a person who takes part in a resistance movement against an oppressive political or social establishment

terrorist
person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Huh? He was originally acquitted for his part avenging mass murder of blacks and only after years of revenge tactics by a white supremacist Government was he put in prison for life.
He was thrown into jail by the South African government for conspiracy to overthrow the government through the SACP and another group the South African government regarded as being dedicated to the violent overthrow of the government.  The South African government viewed Mandela as a terrorist and rebel, even as the ever-enlightened Red did not.  Which is the point of the "one man's terrorist...." cliche I cited.  Another example, I guess, was  Menachem Begin.
But it is enlightening to know that if a black man fights back against white supremacism ( while avoiding attacking innocent civilians) it’s your definition of terrorism.
If Nelson Mandela is to labeled a terrorist by you there are a ton of historians who beg to differ.

Arafat.
Better not ask a question that's essentially a kick me hard sign pinned to your own ass.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: June 16, 2021, 08:15:32 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Arafat.
Better not ask a question that's essentially a kick me hard sign pinned to your own ass.
World History not your bag, we get it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: June 16, 2021, 08:16:23 PM »

LOL!
Why not throw in,

Begin was a terrorist, Ward, whether you like it or not.

Bombing a hotel is not exactly the action of a peacenik.

Nathan Hale predated the Nobel Peace Prize.

Harkening back to Israel and Begin, "terrorist (n.) in the modern sense, 1944, especially in reference to Jewish tactics against the British in Palestine..." from etymonline (dot) com.

As for Nathan Hale, perhaps instead the French Revolution would be acceptable to you, as that was when the term was first applied. It's also been applied to the Maquis in WWII.

You really struggle with facts that don't fit your worldview. That must be very hard for you.

Begin was a terrorist. Arafat was a terrorist. They both won the Nobel Peace Price.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: June 16, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »

LOL!
Why not throw in,

Mitch McConnell, the United States’ most loathsome living terrorist is rightly getting the bulk of our anti-terror attention right now.

Please check back once he’s deposed. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: June 16, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »

LOL!
Why not throw in,

Or Sam Adams

He killed many an innocent civilan's taste buds with some of his seasonal fruit-flavored beers

Terrorist and freedom fighter

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: June 16, 2021, 08:34:09 PM »

Some Republican lawmakers opposed the effort. Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont.,  said creating the federal holiday was an effort to celebrate “identity politics.”

“Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no,” he said in a press release.

The vast majority of states recognize Juneteenth as a holiday or have an official observance of the day, and most states hold celebrations. Juneteenth is a paid holiday for state employees in Texas, New York, Virginia and Washington....

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-race-and-ethnicity-juneteenth-lifestyle-holidays-3cc3b7a56ec97b0bae3dbdff1da092ee

Celebrating emancipation is divisive,  opines the Montana congressman.  I would hazard a guess that polling on "slavery was bad" would hit the mid-90s.  Also rather amusing that anyone would equate emancipation with "identity politics."   The congressman might be rather disturbed to read our Constitution and find amendments and landmark interpretations crafted to advance the liberties of particular segments of the citizenry.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 2928