Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751326 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12540 on: July 22, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »

The guilty (rioters and insurrectionists) are and will be punished.
That is the sole purpose of the committee I.e. find out who is guilty
which REQUIRES AN INVESTIGATION.
McCarthy's fear of the truth is self-evident.  It will hurt his chances to be Speaker.
But his walking away from a just and necessary inquiry
makes him look like a fool and an idiot.

That is not, apparently, what he fears.

All Kevin's fears are tied up in his appeasing Trump at all costs.
No Trump, no Speakership.
"Kevin can go F#€£ himself"!

Democrats don't have to waste their breathe making Republicans look bad.
Trump is doing a bang-up job of that.
With some good assists from DeSantis and Gaetz, and a few others stuffed in the clown car.
Keep that up, and the Red Tide might recede. (ha, been savin' that one)

When the red tide recedes Florida hopes it takes DeSantis with it.

DeSantis is showing FL who he really is.  Not usually much silver lining to a toxic algal bloom, but in this case...

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: July 22, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »

"I can't breathe."

https://news.yahoo.com/dashcam-video-shows-attack-aurora-221646998.html

I'm sure Al Sharpton will be on his way to Aurora this afternoon.
Not at all racist, nope not you, Forrest!

This needs a text link, Nate-Bed.  Am at work and can't watch videos.

Officer nearly choked out by a woman at a traffic stop on bodycam, so from his point of view. You can garner a little more information from who posted it in the first place, but those are the salient details.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12542 on: July 22, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »

Nor should Pelosi allow McCarthy to drop a deuce into punchbowl and she should remove the turds pre-punch.

So you are backing in with "Pelosi gets to approve all appointments since she controls the House"?

JUst say so

Doesn't seem like this was the agreement though - and this is why McCarthy is pulling his stunt.

Pelosi wasn't happy with the concessions that led to the bill - and is acting out, seems to me.  I have long said she is very good at her job.  But McCarthy is no slouch at his.

Let's just watch it play out.

McCarthy is a hack!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12543 on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:18 PM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.

Now - on to other purpose -

Republicans feel the actions of BLM and others have been swept under the rug - and want investigation of that included in the commission's work.  This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6

note:  yes, some in the Republican party want 1/6 in the rear view - totally - fearful of the next witch hunt that may be coming at their party

Democrats want to sully the reputation of Republicans who may be looking to run for office (see Trump) - possibly even looking to get some good legislators removed from their position (see McCarthy). This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6.

It will all get done in time - and we will be better for it.  But let's be fair - follow the agreement, Madam Speaker.  Allow McCarthy's choices on the commission.  Would go a long way to bipartisanship and a much better rep for you.

Republicans feel the actions of BLM and others have been swept under the rug - and want investigation of that included in the commission's work

Nothing to do with 1/6.

Fuck Gym Jordan.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12544 on: July 22, 2021, 01:00:15 PM »

Jordan won't be testifying

Nor will McCarthy
Nor will Trump

Bet they all get subpoenas

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12545 on: July 22, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »

Nor should Pelosi allow McCarthy to drop a deuce into punchbowl and she should remove the turds pre-punch.

So you are backing in with "Pelosi gets to approve all appointments since she controls the House"?

JUst say so

Doesn't seem like this was the agreement though - and this is why McCarthy is pulling his stunt.

Pelosi wasn't happy with the concessions that led to the bill - and is acting out, seems to me.  I have long said she is very good at her job.  But McCarthy is no slouch at his.

Let's just watch it play out.
The Committee has no purpose other than a campaign bludgeon against the GOP in 2022.
The guilty are and will be punished.  Pelosi just doesn’t want embarrassing  distractions into the lack of  readiness at the Capitol which would make her look bad.
McCarthy was wise to walk away from a political kangaroo court.

BENGHAZI!

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12546 on: July 22, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.

No.

Your party explicitly does not want answers. Some do, but not McCarthy, who answers to Trump, and not McConnell. And certainly not Trump.

Jim Jordan is another who does not want answers. Greene, as well. I am less familiar with the other rep, besides Jordan, that Pelosi kicked.

But my suspicion is that Jordan is going to called as a witness, which is part of why he cannot be on the thing.

Remember that we still have not seen the footage of the tours given prior to 1/6 - those will either highlight a number of aberrant US Reps from the GOP or it will clear the lot of them from suspicion. But they need to come out and it could be that while Pelosi is not stating causes for actions that that might be among them.

Might.
Not to forget, Jim Jordan has an established history of looking the other way to ignore some pretty reprehensible conduct.

JJ looking away....

What has been seen cannot be unseen... unless you’re JJ

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: July 22, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »

"I can't breathe."

Felony.

Nice life choice, ladies.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: July 22, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »

One of the reasons we have body cameras. It will really help the state in this case.

Why do republicans try do defund the police?

Do they just love being crooks that much?

Do they do things so bad they don’t want any law to function at all?

They are undeniably explicit about their love of tax crime and fraud. Do they love all crime now the same way?

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: July 22, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »

"I can't breathe."

I see you prefer your cops dead at the hand of criminals.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12551 on: July 22, 2021, 03:12:11 PM »

"I can't breathe."

You prefer ordinary citizens dead st the hands of cops.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: July 22, 2021, 03:13:58 PM »

From a moderate POV:

When Republicans voted against an outside bipartisan commission to investigate the siege because of what it might turn up in an election year, we called them out for acting in cowardice. But Pelosi’s move will make the investigation even easier to dismiss for people who aren’t die-hard members of Team Blue. Immediately after, left-wing Twitter cheered her announcement, while Republicans rallied to denounce it. It also comes as polling for CBS News finds that Republican voters are increasingly sympathetic to the rioters (WaPo’s Philip Bump writes about this here) — making a probe that’s credible to the right even more important.

Yes, Republicans were calling the investigation a sham and vowing to undermine it even before she removed Reps. JIM JORDAN (Ohio) and JIM BANKS (Ind.). But now Republicans are armed with a legitimate grievance: that the House speaker has decided to police which lawmakers on the other side get to sit on an investigative panel.

Democrats defended Pelosi’s power play on a few grounds:

— If Jordan spoke to DONALD TRUMP on Jan. 6, he could be considered a witness, and possibly one to be subpoenaed by the committee. (We haven’t heard whether Democrats intend to do so.)

— Some Democrats think any Republican who objected to the Electoral College results should be barred from serving on the panel. But Pelosi ousted only two of the three Republicans who did so, suggesting this was not her guiding motivation.

It’s important to note that Jordan and Banks, both fiery Trump allies, are effective communicators with their base — a threat to Pelosi’s messaging on this. But moving to silence members by kicking them off committees, instead of trying to make the better argument, is a new tack in oversight. And the precedent has long-term implications: We wouldn’t be surprised if a future Speaker KEVIN MCCARTHY returned the favor if and when the time comes.

ON THE FLIP SIDE: If Pelosi gave McCarthy a gift for his own base Wednesday, McCarthy handed the speaker one in return for hers: His announcement that he would withdraw all his members from the panel unless she reverses course is exactly what a lot of Democrats were hoping for. Now, Democrats (plus Rep. LIZ CHENEY) can subpoena whomever they want, whenever they want, without any protest. If they decide to have closed-door depositions with Trump White House officials, the former president will have no spies in the room to report back. And the public hearings will be free of GOP complaints. In that regard, perhaps, Pelosi may say the move was worth it.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/07/22/return-of-the-masks-493689

And, it's always about following the money---or the lack of money.

Six months into the Biden administration, several Trump-connected firms together are down millions of dollars in fees compared to a year earlier; one prominent firm with Trumpworld ties has collapsed, and another has withdrawn from Washington entirely.

“It’s definitely been quiet,” said Brad Gerstman, whose firm, Gotham Government Relations & Communications, once represented Trump in New York and helped orchestrate Trump’s 2015 campaign announcement before opening a Washington office after he won.

The lobbying firm ACG Advocacy saw its business skyrocket after one of its partners, David Urban, helped Trump carry Pennsylvania in the 2016 election. But its lobbying business diminished after Urban left a couple of months before Trump lost to become an executive vice president at ByteDance, the Chinese company that owns TikTok.

ACG brought in $2.5 million in lobbying revenue in the second quarter of this year, down from $4.4 million in the second quarter of 2020, according to a POLITICO analysis of its disclosure filings — a drop of 43 percent.

Shawn Smeallie, ACG’s founder, said the firm knew that its swollen revenues during the Trump administration weren’t sustainable.

“David Urban and I used to call it a sugar high,” Smeallie said in an interview.

ACG’s revenues are still higher than they were before Trump was elected, he pointed out, and the firm has hung onto many of Urban’s clients, including Comcast, Walgreens and 7-Eleven. The firm is bipartisan and boasts “one of the top Schumer people in the city,” as Smeallie put it, referring to Molly Allen, a former aide to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Nevertheless, the dip in revenues at ACG and other firms, as revealed in newly filed disclosures, reflects how thoroughly Trump’s presidency disrupted the lobbying and consulting firms that make up the bedrock of D.C.

K Street always experiences shake ups when power changes hands. But the dearth of lobbyists with connections to Trump when he assumed office in 2017 drew a clutch of operatives with ties to him to Washington. While Urban is a longtime Washington lobbyist, others had limited D.C. experience, and their success in the capital was always tied to Trump’s. Many of them are sticking around now that the former president is out of power, but a Democratic-run D.C. has presented some, well, complications.

The Trump administration “was an aberration because it was so much chaos out of the gate,” as Smeallie put it. “Chaos in this industry tends to mean a lot more work, because people are nervous.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/21/trump-lobbyists-500477

Kaos.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: July 22, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »

"I can't breathe."

You prefer ordinary citizens dead st the hands of cops.

So, those trying to kill cops are "ordinary citizens" in your view. No surprise there.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: July 22, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »

Florida, Missouri and Texas now account for 40% of new coronavirus cases in U.S.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-missouri-and-texas-now-account-for-40-percent-of-new-us-coronavirus-cases-172032337.html

The South has risen again.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 2924