Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750531 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #19935 on: November 06, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »

Banks thinks he is being pragmatic by rooting for the bad guys.

Larry I am pragmatic, but I won't sell my soul.

But there is a reason for the old saying, "politics makes strange bedfellows".

And Larry I've listened to your perspective, and I understand it, and in many cases I agree with you and your goals.

However I found the environment hostile to its immediate fruition.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19936 on: November 06, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »

And Larry I've listened to your perspective, and I understand it, and in many cases I agree with you and your goals.

Biden is President because black and brown people put him through the primary and then took two seats in Georgia...

And all moderates do is tell the BASE of this fucking party to be quiet, white folks talking.

And then when shit goes south electorally the first thing you will say is well, the black turnout was low.

In this era you are either going to split or lose the white vote no matter what so why do you keep spitting on the folks who have been giving you 90 plus? instead of watching the GOP make it harder for them to vote why are you not protecting their rights and access?

Joe Biden promised to reach across the aisle and work in a bipartisan fashion and the Republicans tried to overturn the election and failing that tried to overthrow the government.

YMMV

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:51:46 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19937 on: November 06, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »

Biden is President because black and brown people put him through the primary and then took two seats in Georgia...

And all moderates do is tell the BASE of this fucking party to be quiet, white folks talking.

And then when shit goes south electorally the first thing you will say is well, the black turnout was low.

In this era you are either going to split or lose the white vote no matter what so why do you keep spitting on the folks who have been giving you 90 plus? instead of watching the GOP make it harder for them to vote why are you not protecting their rights and access?

Joe Biden promised to reach across the aisle and work in a bipartisan fashion and the Republicans tried to overturn the election and failing that tried to overthrow the government.

YMMV

Larry I'm sorry you feel so put upon.

What I suggested is that the Dems position themselves with popular political wins to win in '22 and build upon a narrow majority into more of a political mandate that does not hang on the whims of Manchin, Sinema or far left progressives.

They are now in a better position to market what Biden promised in his campaign. He reached across the aisle and delivered.

It is unlikely a package much larger than the Infrastructure bill would be deliverable.

Take this win and move on to the next fight.

But if he lost this fight and looked impotent caught between the demands of Manchin and AOC he and the Dems would be fucked.

But Manchin would have his safe seat as would AOC.

But they'll never get the shit done you want with Repubs in power.

Smart works most of the time.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #19939 on: November 06, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

The truly lamentable loss from the BBB package as it gets whittled down is abandoning the first plan of rolling back the 2017 tax cuts.  Which would move income and corporate tax rates back to more reasonable levels and  toughen inheritance taxes so that wealthy heirs can no longer get away with paying little or nothing.  While I could understand principled disagreement over how the revenue is allocated, where it would do most good,  it seems like a corrupt tack to just reject any nudge toward progressive taxation when the majority so favor it.  The presently morphing BBB plan threatens to leave us as the nation with most regressive taxation.   

I adhere to a strict regimen of not reading concert stampede stories.   Sometimes sanity requires restricting the information feed. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19940 on: November 06, 2021, 09:42:58 PM »

Best to let old bankshot sing himself songs about the olden days to comfort himself. The work moves on.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19941 on: November 06, 2021, 09:51:57 PM »

The truly lamentable loss from the BBB package as it gets whittled down is abandoning the first plan of rolling back the 2017 tax cuts.  Which would move income and corporate tax rates back to more reasonable levels and  toughen inheritance taxes so that wealthy heirs can no longer get away with paying little or nothing.  While I could understand principled disagreement over how the revenue is allocated, where it would do most good,  it seems like a corrupt tack to just reject any nudge toward progressive taxation when the majority so favor it.  The presently morphing BBB plan threatens to leave us as the nation with most regressive taxation.   

I adhere to a strict regimen of not reading concert stampede stories.   Sometimes sanity requires restricting the information feed.

The measures in the bill such as setting minimum rates regardless of deductions to large corporations and top individual earners along with funding and encouraging IRS enforcement of existing tax law is a much bigger deal. The top line marginal rate numbers become important if the money is actually going to be collected.

As it stands in its current state of negotiations, the BBB delivers vital programs and shrinks the deficit without raising any marginal tax rate top or bottom. This makes it very good to run on in the burbs especially if SALT is restored which will result in a wide based tax cut voters feel.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19943 on: November 06, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »

YMMV

Larry I'm sorry you feel so put upon.

What I suggested is that the Dems position themselves with popular political wins to win in '22 and build upon a narrow majority into more of a political mandate that does not hang on the whims of Manchin, Sinema or far left progressives.

DEMOCRACY IS HANGING IN THE BALANCE!

They are now in a better position to market what Biden promised in his campaign. He reached across the aisle and delivered.

THE BASE DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT REACHING OUT TO THE PEOPLE TRYING TO DESTROY THE NATION

It is unlikely a package much larger than the Infrastructure bill would be deliverable.

WHO NEGOTIATED THE BIF FOR THE DEMS? Manchin and Sinema. BLOCKED BBB? Manchin and Sinema.
Take this win and move on to the next fight.

But if he lost this fight and looked impotent caught between the demands of Manchin and AOC he and the Dems would be fucked.

MANCHIN PICKED THE FIGHT! AOC BACKED PELOSI AND JAYAPAL FROM DAY ONE

But Manchin would have his safe seat as would AOC.

But they'll never get the shit done you want with Repubs in power.

THE ONLY POWER THE GOP HAS IS WHAT MANCHIN AND SINEMA HAVE GIVEN THEM AND THAT FUCKING STUPID!
Smart works most of the time.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19944 on: November 06, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »

Our hard task right now is helping the homeless people to go from being homeless to working on good jobs building high speed trains, etc. We need SOCIAL WORKERS and good people to help our homeless people to make the transition to working and having a home. It is hard, people need assistance.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19945 on: November 06, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »

The measures in the bill such as setting minimum rates regardless of deductions to large corporations and top individual earners along with funding and encouraging IRS enforcement of existing tax law is a much bigger deal. The top line marginal rate numbers become important if the money is actually going to be collected.

As it stands in its current state of negotiations, the BBB delivers vital programs and shrinks the deficit without raising any marginal tax rate top or bottom. This makes it very good to run on in the burbs especially if SALT is restored which will result in a wide based tax cut voters feel.

Why do moderates think elections are won by not giving the people what they voted for.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19946 on: November 06, 2021, 10:04:28 PM »

Concrete jobs are good jobs, which create good money for the concrete companies and for the workers. The concrete for the high speed trains is creating good jobs.

Concrete jobs are good jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19947 on: November 06, 2021, 10:33:51 PM »

Why do moderates think elections are won by not giving the people what they voted for.

The voters voted for Biden, the anti-Trump, who could govern from the middle, with broad appeal.

Why do progs who make up about 20-25% about 15% of Dems think they are in a majority position?

I just double checked, according to Pew Research "very liberal" Dems, account for about 15% of those registered as Dems.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:02:45 PM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19949 on: November 06, 2021, 11:10:34 PM »

The voters voted for Biden, the anti-Trump, who could govern from the middle, with broad appeal.

Why do progs who make up about 20-25% about 15% of Dems think they are in a majority position?

I just double checked, according to Pew Research "very liberal" Dems, account for about 15% of those registered as Dems.

You're ignoring the poll about what people said they want for policies.

Not liberal or progressive or what, but specific items.

They want more in WV than Manchin is giving.

Not because he is a moderate, but because he is a devotee of ALEC.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 2924