Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750493 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #19950 on: November 06, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »

Fucking witch

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/teachers-union-head-randi-weingarten-removes-mask-indoors

Kid is another white fascist fuck who hates education because he could not extract anything of value from his own education. But why does Kid hate children?
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19951 on: November 06, 2021, 11:27:54 PM »

The truly lamentable loss from the BBB package as it gets whittled down is abandoning the first plan of rolling back the 2017 tax cuts.  Which would move income and corporate tax rates back to more reasonable levels and  toughen inheritance taxes so that wealthy heirs can no longer get away with paying little or nothing.  While I could understand principled disagreement over how the revenue is allocated, where it would do most good,  it seems like a corrupt tack to just reject any nudge toward progressive taxation when the majority so favor it.  The presently morphing BBB plan threatens to leave us as the nation with most regressive taxation.   

I adhere to a strict regimen of not reading concert stampede stories.   Sometimes sanity requires restricting the information feed.

The measures in the bill such as setting minimum rates regardless of deductions to large corporations and top individual earners along with funding and encouraging IRS enforcement of existing tax law is a much bigger deal. The top line marginal rate numbers become important if the money is actually going to be collected.

As it stands in its current state of negotiations, the BBB delivers vital programs and shrinks the deficit without raising any marginal tax rate top or bottom. This makes it very good to run on in the burbs especially if SALT is restored which will result in a wide based tax cut voters feel.

Why do moderates think elections are won by not giving the people what they voted for.

The voters voted for Biden, the anti-Trump, who could govern from the middle, with broad appeal.

Why do progs who make up about 20-25% about 15% of Dems think they are in a majority position?

I just double checked, according to Pew Research "very liberal" Dems, account for about 15% of those registered as Dems.

You're ignoring the poll about what people said they want for policies.

Not liberal or progressive or what, but specific items.

They want more in WV than Manchin is giving.

Not because he is a moderate, but because he is a devotee of ALEC.

No people want all sort of stuff.

Until they have to pay for it.

Case in point, people are freaking out and Biden's approval ratings declined because of a tick-up in inflation and gas proces cost another  $0.20 a gallon.

Now i don't think rising inflation and supply chain issues are really Biden's fault, but he's catching hell for it, and its going to be a problem until it isn't.

in any case,

So old fuckers want expanded medicare, and single moms want child care and high schools kids want free college and the lowest paid workers want increased minimum wage, and everyone wants better access to healthcare, and better roads, and internet and and and and
and

and

all until they're told, and they will be told, that the bill is due and who's going to pay it for the next 40 years.

And someone will tell them what and when the bill is due.

And it will be a 45=55 year old white guy

Probably Ted Cruz or De Santis, or someone as scummy

And they will scare the fuck out enough voters with horror stories of tax and spend liberals who are going to steal their children's future.

Its Repub 102

And Dems sort of understand the playbook as its been used time and time again.

So they should be aware of it now.

Josh you are the one ignoring reality.

For at least the 2nd time today.

But the point remains progressives account for about 15% of the Dem voters and their broad agenda is not as accepted in the other   segments of Dem, Indie and Repub voters.

You know the other 85%+ that may impact elections.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:37:31 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19952 on: November 07, 2021, 12:32:26 AM »

Banks, this stuff is being paid for as it occurs, driving up business activity while driving down the debt simply by stopping the wealthiest individuals and entities avoid taxes entirely. That is why I am ok with the smallish half loaf in the BBB package. The revenue side is much harder to demagogue against. It will make the republicans who try explicitly anti-family and pro-tax-cheat. While this is more honest than the typical republican line, it is much less attractive politically.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19953 on: November 07, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »

Fac I've no doubt your analysis is spot on to the penny. And I've no reason to doubt your unbiased political or financial analysis. But when insisting a $1.8 T plan with a myriad of  benefits  (some which are very hard to quantify) and associated costs, will pay for themselves,  I think it best to show your work.

YMMV

And to be clear I favor a lot of the social plans reportedly under consideration, (but my timelines are longer and are mostly due to political reasons) as I think the middle class would benefit, but I would like to see real #s and I understand they are estimates, on how it gets paid for, and if there is a shortfall how big it might be, and how that might impact our economy in the out years.

Further, it raising funds is so easy, ie tax the rich/and corporations who have been evading tax payments.

Lets do that now. But absent a plan to spend the cash flowing into the Treasury. Lets see how increasing tax rates on corps and the very wealthy, or implementing a wealth tax on the super-rich, works in real time/real life. What impact does is have?

Just a thought.

In any case I look forward to your financial analysis on BBB.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:29:50 AM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19954 on: November 07, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »

Has Pelosi stated that BBB (the social plan) will pay for itself?  Or was that just the infrastructure bill?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:35:31 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19955 on: November 07, 2021, 10:38:11 AM »

Fac I've no doubt your analysis is spot on to the penny. And I've no reason to doubt your unbiased political or financial analysis. But when insisting a $1.8 T plan with a myriad of  benefits  (some which are very hard to quantify) and associated costs, will pay for themselves,  I think it best to show your work.

YMMV

And to be clear I favor a lot of the social plans reportedly under consideration, (but my timelines are longer and are mostly due to political reasons) as I think the middle class would benefit, but I would like to see real #s and I understand they are estimates, on how it gets paid for, and if there is a shortfall how big it might be, and how that might impact our economy in the out years.

Further, it raising funds is so easy, ie tax the rich/and corporations who have been evading tax payments.

Lets do that now. But absent a plan to spend the cash flowing into the Treasury. Lets see how increasing tax rates on corps and the very wealthy, or implementing a wealth tax on the super-rich, works in real time/real life. What impact does is have?

Just a thought.

In any case I look forward to your financial analysis on BBB.

BBB is not a matter of spending. It is investment in a sustainable future.

You are cheering Manchin and the entire GOP making sure it is business as usual instead of a moment of transformation.

Fucking Moderates represent a clear and present danger 8n refusing to face 5he reality of 5he GOP plans for fascist autocracy.

Achtung, bitches.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19956 on: November 07, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »

Larry I'm not cheering for anyone.

I asked Fac to support his post with #s.

And its a matter of how we allocate resources and who benefits and who pays.

there is no free lunch.

To say BBB is not a matter of spending, is idiotic and sophomoric on its face.

at first the price tag was $7T now its $1.8T and stuff got cut because it was deemed too expensive and the resources or votes weren't there.

I'm sorry you didn't understand the process and you now seem very angry.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19957 on: November 07, 2021, 10:50:06 AM »

Has Pelosi stated that BBB (the social plan) will pay for itself?  Or was that just the infrastructure bill?

Thanks

The #s I've heard from Team Biden was $1.8T in costs and about $2T in revenues.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19958 on: November 07, 2021, 10:57:20 AM »

there is no free lunch.

at first the price tag was $7T now its $1.8T and stuff got cut because it was deemed too expensive and the resources or votes weren't there.

The stupid and angry black man.

Why do I expect more from you?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #19959 on: November 07, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »

Thanks

Dont care what is stated.  Much as I want Fac to be correct on the numbers, I feel no one knows for sure if the latest version of BBB will bring down enough tax dodgers to pay for itself.   A lot depends on if the shortened term programs are liked enough to get renewed by future Congri.  If they are renewed and we have them for decades,  funding will be more stable.   And I think we will have to revoke the absurd 2017 corporate tax cuts and welfare for the rich.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19960 on: November 07, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »

If the 2017 tax cuts  are absurd why have not the dems abolished them?
Brandon said that was a day one promise of his administration. 
As to the rich, how come the dems want to take away the SALT cap?
That IS a blatant giveaway to the rich.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19961 on: November 07, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »

there is no free lunch.

I said you didn't understand the process and you seem angry.

I put no racial component on it.

Larry that's your take on you.

My observations are color free and while I have my political POV, and we are mostly aligned, I try to be mostly objective.

I call balls and strikes the way I see them

and the batter is irrelevant Utley, Hammy, Pigday, kid, Red, Fac or you

And on this issue as I see it you struck out some time ago. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 11:52:52 AM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19962 on: November 07, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »

there is no free lunch.

My observations are color free and while I have my political POV, and we are mostly aligned, I try to be mostly objective.

I understand the process and I am frustrated.

I am also 63 years old and I know the dog whistle when I hear it even if the person blowing that whistle is oblivious,

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19963 on: November 07, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »

Spending vs Investing

If one purchases a house is it just spending or is it investing in an asset that can be used to generate future profits and/or generational wealth?

Paring the BBB down to appease rich, white conservatives makes no fiscal sense if preserving a human habitat and spurring long term economic growth is a goal.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19964 on: November 07, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »

there is no free lunch.

I understand the process and I am frustrated.

I am also 63 years old and I know the dog whistle when I hear it even if the person blowing that whistle is oblivious,

Larry I know you're frustrated. So am I.

I don't want Repubs reclaiming power, but I sense they are a lot closer today than they were several months ago as Dems seemed determined to shoot themselves as often as possible on Biden's agenda.

But I thought you were wrong for political reasons, and I told you why 17 months ago, and a few minutes ago, and your race had nothing to do with it.

That charge was bullshit.

And you tend to play the race card and that's not the first time I said that to you either.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:18:26 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 ... 2924