Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 2793

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 655393 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #20850 on: November 17, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »

A study released today by researchers at Tianjin Medical University says healthy individuals between the ages of 50 and 74 who drank two to three cups of coffee or three to five cups of tea per day, or a combination of four to six cups of both per day, had the lowest incidence of stroke and dementia among 365,682 study participants.

So sleep increases stroke risk?

Sleepiness could be an indicator of risk for stroke, as blood clotting slows circulation...

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: November 17, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Holly Martins

« Reply #20852 on: November 17, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »

If this does not happen tomorrow night

https://phys.org/news/2021-11-longest-lunar-eclipse-centuries-week.html

Then we can start talking about science denial as a stronger position.

You mean Friday morning.

Seriously?  Was that worth posting?  Obviously when people say in common parlance, "I stayed up Thursday night to watch the eclipse," it is understood that the event might occur in the wee hours of Friday.  In the Mountain Standard Time zone, it will begin Thursday night at 11 pm, so I was not even technically inaccurate for my geographic location or the lands to the west of me. 

Regarding "if this does not happen," I was being tongue-in-cheek, as a way of poking a bit of fun at some of the science deniers.  If that landed with a thud, please ignore. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #20853 on: November 17, 2021, 01:36:43 PM »

Drink up!

But hold the cream and sugar, honey, and all that other crap you people put into your cups!

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-coffee-and-tea-can-help-lower-the-risk-of-stroke-dementia

A study released today by researchers at Tianjin Medical University says healthy individuals between the ages of 50 and 74 who drank two to three cups of coffee or three to five cups of tea per day, or a combination of four to six cups of both per day, had the lowest incidence of stroke and dementia among 365,682 study participants.

As someone whose work at one time touched on this kind of data, I would say that we need to approach the root causes carefully and not jump to conclusions.  Drinking more coffee/tea could correlate with other lifestyle habits which are actually more instrumental in reducing stroke and dementia risks.  It could be that drinking them means NOT drinking something else that is more causative of strokes/dementia.    It is VERY hard to isolate and separate all the variables in what humans consume and how they spend their time.  I will read the study, but I would caution anyone against starting a beverage habit on the hope of flavonoids being some magic shield.  Some people with inner ear issues can become quite sick from caffeinated beverages.  Certain heart conditions do not respond well to coffee, even to the point of transient tachycardia. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #20854 on: November 17, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »

Also note that this report was based on self-reported intake, with a largish sample size.  This has, in the history of such studies, often led to flawed data and conclusions.  In the medical and biological fields, self-report is often a factor that skews data and leads to error.

Also, if you have any sort of anemia or tendency towards, black tea is not a good option for you, as its higher tannin content blocks iron uptake in the gut.  Coffee is better, in that situation.  Or green tea, which is way lower in tannins.

Holly Martins

« Reply #20855 on: November 17, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »

I think the tattooed braying elk dude should not have gotten 41 months in jail.  His needs seem to be more in the area of mental health treatment than the penal system.  And there were plenty of capitol stormers who were in their right minds and do deserve prison time.  Let the shaman go to a sweatlodge and then rub him down with willow branches and sage. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: November 17, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »

Drink up!

But hold the cream and sugar, honey, and all that other crap you people put into your cups!

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-coffee-and-tea-can-help-lower-the-risk-of-stroke-dementia

Thank you for this and other recent links - I am using a bunch of them for my Current Events class and they are both timely and apropos.

You're welcome.

Just a question, though.

Probably you do this, but shouldn't your students be gathering those events more than you are?

It's an excellent question, Ham.

With this population, while they are encouraged to find articles that they think will be of interest, especially in their own bailiwicks, I have both more energy and resources than they. (The average age of my students is somewhere around 70, this term.)

I send the stuff out in advance, so they can choose to read up on the topics that catch their eye or at least figure out their questions, object to biases, etc.

I've tried it the other way a few times and it generally means dead time. It's less instruction and more discussion, this way, but based on end of term feedback over the last decade I have been doing this, it seems to be a strong preference. And for my "employer," satisfaction of our members is king.

It's apparently sufficiently well received that they are going to shift it from class to "club" and free us from both term constraints and course fees, to use it to promote the overall program. (That's the rationale they gave me, at least.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: November 17, 2021, 02:05:33 PM »

You mean Friday morning.

Seriously?  Was that worth posting?  Obviously when people say in common parlance, "I stayed up Thursday night to watch the eclipse," it is understood that the event might occur in the wee hours of Friday.  In the Mountain Standard Time zone, it will begin Thursday night at 11 pm, so I was not even technically inaccurate for my geographic location or the lands to the west of me. 

Regarding "if this does not happen," I was being tongue-in-cheek, as a way of poking a bit of fun at some of the science deniers.  If that landed with a thud, please ignore.

I was amused by it, but just figured this was not their best chance!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: November 17, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »

You mean Friday morning.

I was amused by it, but just figured this was not their best chance!

Sounds like Barton needs more sleep. Or less caffeine!

Ha!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: November 17, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

In college, I was in a sport that has shown a marked increase in strokes among most participants, yet continues to this day.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: November 17, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »

In college, I was in a sport that has shown a marked increase in strokes among most participants, yet continues to this day.
The Crew team?
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: November 17, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »

Americans need to work together as a team, all as Americans, with a Government of the people, by the people, for the people.

I have a television that was made many years ago by RCA in Indiana, USA, and it still works great, I watch it in my bedroom. The USA can make anything.

And I watched the Japanese work together as a team to defeat the American electronics industry, and I watched Sony and others take over.

I even worked for Matsushita Electric of Japan when they took over Universal Studios, they treated us badly, they paid everyone minimum wage and treated everyone like slaves. I will never work for the Japanese again.

The Japanese worked together as a team, the companies, and their government, and their banks, they all worked together as a team to steal the electronics industry from the USA. They dumped artificially low-priced electronics into our market and drove all of our electronics companies out of business. Then, after they drove our companies out of business, then they bought everything and raised prices. The Japanese were not working to help Americans, they were putting Japan first, and they were working together as a team to elevate and advance the people of Japan.

The same with the Chinese, they are working to help China first, they are putting their own people first, and they are all working together as a team to put China first. I had a roommate in Malibu who was the daughter of a General in China, and they are all putting China first, they are not here to help the Americans.

Americans need to work together all as Americans, yellow, red, black, white, brown, whatever, everyone in America needs to be on the same team, and our government needs to be made up of us, and our government needs to serve we the people.

The jobs all left the country, and our streets are full of homeless people. And our enemies are flooding our streets with heroin to get our people addicted so that they can control them. We need to start working together as a team in order to save our people. And united we stand, divided we fall. And as a man who was homeless and hungry out on the streets of my own country, it could happen to anyone, you could end up homeless and hungry, even if you are clean and sober and educated and trained for work. While you are alone, they are working together as a team to defeat you, and we have homeless Americans right here in our own country.

And I am not going to sit here and be homeless and hungry again, I would rather go live in Italy. If I have to be a "rugged individualist" and if I have to be poor and hungry on the street in my own home country, then I am leaving. I do not want to be a "rugged individualist" out there homeless on the streets, while people from other nations work together as a team to take our jobs away.

It is up to us to help our homeless people, they are our people and it is up to us to help them. We need to put America first and we need to help our homeless people. And we need to create jobs for people here in America.

One thing too that we have total control over, is our ports, and we can put tariffs on imports, and we can use the money from tariffs on imports to educate and advance and train our people, and to build new colleges, etc. We need to bring our homeless people indoors and we need to help them, and we need to create jobs and honest opportunity here in America.

And guys like Kanye West are not going to do shit to save America, and Snoop Dogg, those guys are idiots, they do not represent me. I need to represent myself.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 03:31:27 PM by FlyingVProd »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: November 17, 2021, 03:37:09 PM »

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 2793