Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2568 2569 [2570] 2571 2572 ... 2791

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 654782 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #38535 on: December 23, 2023, 12:41:36 PM »

The 14th amendment is still in force.
Section three was modified as to the penalties for insurrection and done so by the framework set up by the legislature drafting the 14th amendment ( 2/3rd majorities in-house and Senate.)

The lower court in Colorado ( through a bench trial) found Trump May have committed an insurrection but did not remove him from the ballot citing the office of the presidency was not included inSection3.

The Colorado SupremeCourt overturned the lower Court 4-3.

Now we await SCOTUS.

Chances are strong it will simply punt it  back to the lower court for clarification on insurrection and the role of the President.
You have backtracked your way out of most of your errors, except the one about removing the Section 3 disability for most Civil War rebs somehow deleting Section 3 for future insurrectionists. That remains a.very stupid argument no Court will buy.

And I disagree with you. The SCOTUS is going to effectively decide the issue, to the point that any remand is technical only. I doubt the election will go forward with a patchwork of applications of Section 3 across the Country, or with a doubt about eligibility of a candidate for President.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38536 on: December 23, 2023, 12:56:29 PM »

Section three was modified as to the penalties for insurrection and done so by the framework set up by the legislature drafting the 14th amendment ( 2/3rd majorities in-house and Senate.)

The lower court in Colorado ( through a bench trial) found Trump May have committed an insurrection but did not remove him from the ballot citing the office of the presidency was not included inSection3.

Now we await SCOTUS.

Chances are strong it will simply punt it  back to the lower court for clarification on insurrection and the role of the President.
You have backtracked your way out of most of your errors, except the one about removing the Section 3 disability for most Civil War rebs somehow deleting Section 3 for future insurrectionists. That remains a.very stupid argument no Court will buy.

And I disagree with you. The SCOTUS is going to effectively decide the issue, to the point that any remand is technical only. I doubt the election will go forward with a patchwork of applications of Section 3 across the Country, or with a doubt about eligibility of a candidate for President.
You can not get your facts straight.
The 14th Ammendment was not repealed.  Section Three was not deleted.
(It was amended) Over 50 insurrectionists were allowed to serve as Federal Government employees.
As for SCOTUS my opinion is that it will punt and avoid the question that the lower courts cannot agree on without further rulings.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38537 on: December 23, 2023, 01:08:20 PM »

The 14th Amendment was not amended. Congress, consistent with the language of the Amendment removed the disability of former secessionists to serve in office. Constitutional scholars, or those pretending to be, would know the only way to amend an Amendment is through repeal or another Amendment.

But since you claim that you are not arguing I know you agree.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38538 on: December 23, 2023, 01:20:31 PM »

The 14th Amendment was not amended.

Who said it was?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 01:22:53 PM by Espnthree »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38539 on: December 23, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »

Who said it was?
Pi
You did. Read your own parenthetical.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38540 on: December 23, 2023, 02:13:47 PM »

Who said it was?
Pi
You did. Read your own parenthetical.
My post at 11:17

The post 45 minutes later stated Section Three was not deleted ( It was amended)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 02:16:02 PM by Espnthree »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38541 on: December 23, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »

Right. And Section 3 was NOT amended.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38542 on: December 23, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »

Right. And Section 3 was NOT amended.

Of course it was.
By vote of two thirds in House and Senate( per Constitutional requirements and Presidential approval ) as called for in the 14th Amendment.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38543 on: December 23, 2023, 02:42:27 PM »

So now you are saying the 14th Amendment was amended? Make up your mind.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38544 on: December 23, 2023, 02:49:34 PM »

You say you are not arguing, then you argue. You ask who says it was amended. Then you say of course it was amended. You are exhausting, my friend. You have the politics of a 154 year old and the focus of a 4 year old.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 02:52:51 PM by Yankguy1 »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38545 on: December 23, 2023, 02:57:42 PM »

Now we await SCOTUS.

You can not get your facts straight.
The 14th Ammendment was not repealed.  Section Three was not deleted.
(It was amended)
You cannot get your facts straight. Section 3 was not repealed, modified,, amended,, however you want to call it. Congress cannot do it. It can only removes the disability. Which it did for certain Civil War rebels. It did not remove any disability that did not exist. It could not because it does not have that power.
Over 50 insurrectionists were allowed to serve as Federal Government employees.
Yes, those whose disability was removed by Congress could serve. But Section 3 still applies to everyone else. Including Trump.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38546 on: December 23, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »

You say you are not arguing, then you argue. You ask who says it was amended. Then you say of course it was amended. You are exhausting, my friend. You have the politics of a 154 year old and the focus of a 4 year old.
I have been totally consistent.
The 14 th was not ammended.
Section three was amended since the 14th ammendment allowed Section three to be amended by a vote of two thirds of the Legislature. Which is what a subsequent Congress did and called it the Amnesty Act of 1872.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38547 on: December 23, 2023, 03:03:51 PM »

Your problem continues to be the use of the word amend, no matter, how you spell it to describe what Congress did.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38548 on: December 23, 2023, 03:08:25 PM »

You cannot get your facts straight. Section 3 was not repealed, modified,, amended,, however you want to call it. Congress cannot do it.
Congress did it with the blessing of the 14th Amendment.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #38549 on: December 23, 2023, 03:12:10 PM »

Your problem continues to be the use of the word amend, no matter, how you spell it to describe what Congress did.
I do not have a problem.
You and Harry do.
Pages: 1 ... 2568 2569 [2570] 2571 2572 ... 2791