Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Television  (Read 22931 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Television
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-wonder-years-and-the-emptiness-of-the-black-hollywood-recast

As for making money,  all products in a capitalist society seek a market.   But we don't assign value to commodities solely on the basis that they made profit.   If so,  the Ford F150 would be seen as the crowning glory of western civilization.  The writer is suggesting black auteurs have a shot at bringing something original and authentic to the larger market.

Then they should raise the capital necessary to prove they can do do.

The minority group who built Hollywood did just that.

Quit whining and get to work.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2021, 05:36:14 PM »

To be clear: you attribute the disparity between Jews and Blacks to work ethic? I just want to make sure because there is a word people normally apply to anyone who categorizes black as lazy and shiftless.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Holly Martins

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »

Then they should raise the capital necessary to prove they can do do.

The minority group who built Hollywood did just that.

Quit whining and get to work.

You are the one reducing the problem to just capital.   But the article also presents a case that the present system of networks and studios function as gatekeepers who turn back projects that black creators are more than eager to put their backs into.

And your comparison of 2021 to the early 20th century, when the biz was new and wide open,  strikes me as flawed.   Eastern Europeans,  many Jewish,  in the 1920s were in a quite different place than blacks are now with respect to financial backers and industry gatekeepers. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:05:42 PM by Barton3.0 »

Holly Martins

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2021, 06:08:27 PM »

To be clear: you attribute the disparity between Jews and Blacks to work ethic? I just want to make sure because there is a word people normally apply to anyone who categorizes black as lazy and shiftless.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »

Capital, capital, capital.

Or you can bitch that it ain't fair.

Ask Jay-Z about these things.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2021, 10:04:24 AM »

Or Massive Genius

(cant get enough of this Sopranos rerun)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »

One of the deleted scenes from Firefly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFO-QaBjoc

This scene explains the origin of the ship's name - and it is a shame this scene never made it in, because it changes the context of the whole show, IMO.

"We're not in there" is a haunting quote that could have been said countless times about countless histories.

And it should never have been so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2021, 02:14:39 PM »

"Once you've been in Serenity you never leave."  Yes,  that scene would have clarified a lot,  on that show.   Wow. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
B5 reboot in the works
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-reboot-in-development

Posted by JMS
To answer all the questions, yes, it is true, Babylon 5 is now in active development as a series for the CW.  We have some serious fans over at the network, and they are eager to see this show happen.  I am hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup.  The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons.  Heraclitus wrote,
You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.
  In the years since B5, I have done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on the question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like?  How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?  How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day?  Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road.

So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river.  There would be no fun and no surprises.  Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something both fresh and familiar.

To those who have asked why we are not just doing a continuation for a network series like this, it cannot be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.  How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir?  Or G Kar?  How do you tell Sheridan s story without Delenn?  Or the story of B5 without Franklin?  Garibaldi?  Zack? 

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix.  Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what is possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project.  They understand the unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.

And a long twitter thread
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202

apostrophes replaced in multiple words including G kar and two ellipses.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:28:29 AM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »

Not as exciting as the black Wonder Years

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »

Amazing is the stark difference among "jeopardy" winners. Present champ Matt Amodio wins so easily.

----------------------------------------
Jews and Blacks both have made tremendous contributions to the entertainment industry.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2021, 01:30:47 AM »

Your obsession with Blacks is amazing.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »

To be fair, I watched the first episode.

It sucked after only 3 minutes in.

It would've sucked if anyone tried to redo that show.

When a show is done right the first time, it doesn't get better in a remake.

Try remaking The Lucy Show or MASH or updating Threes Company .

Maybe originate a show, instead of trying to re-engineer a gem.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2021, 08:41:51 PM »

I expect them to retry MASH or Threes Company, where a single individual is not affiliated. MTM and DVD are harder in that way. They are trying remakes because the track record with new shows is even worse than that of the remakes.

See also Babylon 5.

They could have gone for The Wonder Years, the Next Generation!

But no.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2021, 02:47:31 PM »

exactly
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17