Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Television  (Read 24762 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Television
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2022, 11:21:38 PM »

Netflix is now running the first season of Servant of the People.  Spouse and I watched the first ep.  I think you all will not be disappointed. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2022, 07:13:49 PM »

The Foo Fighters, who toured with Matt Santos campaign on The West Wing, have just lost their drummer IRL.  Taylor Hawkins died before a concert in Colombia, age 50.

Second time Dave Grohl loses a bandmate he is quite close to. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2022, 11:09:07 AM »

Started by smoking weed.  Gateway to what killed him.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »

Started by smoking weed.  Gateway to what killed him.

Except for every bit of science on the topic of gateway drugs, but why let facts get in the way of a good bit of attack.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »

Russian Doll is terrific.  Like a dark and witty take on the theme of Groundhog Day which leaves no human pretense or foible unskewered.  Laced with literary and psychological references that will slip past you if you're not paying attention.  Natasha Lyonne is dark, damaged, astutely observant, and weirdly sexy. 

If anyone figures out what that....thing on the bathroom door is, please let me know.  Thank you.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2022, 12:51:27 PM »

Showtime's THE BABY

All that need be said.

Holly Martins

« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2022, 08:40:15 PM »

Wow, yes, want to see this.  Comedy-horror is hard to do well.  Looks like an HBO/Sky co-production.  Thank you for the heads-up.

Holly Martins

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »

The series finale of Ozark is more cynical than I would have wished for, but at least the fade to black before a shot is heard gives me some hope that Mel might have had the sense to bring backup.  As for Wendy, well, move over Lady MacBeth.  Quite the chilling performance from Linney.  The series has been a showcase for female actors, with Julia Garner being amazing as Ruth. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »

Even if you dont like hoops the HBO show on the LA Lakers of the 70s/8s+ is great viewing.  Very well acted. John C Reilly as Dr Jerry Buss - and good to see Gabby Hoffman again.

Except it is considered to be highly inaccurate.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2022, 09:14:36 PM »

Well, Pearlman is an idiot so I wouldnt be surprised if he took some liberties

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2022, 11:03:17 AM »

Counterpart on Prime is terrific!

J.K.Simmons is one hell of an actor.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2022, 12:34:52 PM »

The Netflix series, The Lincoln Lawyer,  the first season an adaptation of Michael Connelly novel The Brass Verdict is watchable, with some good casting, but fans of the Micky Haller books (which start with The Lincoln Lawyer, and The Brass Verdict is the second in the series) may be disappointed that, because Amazon owns rights to the Harry Bosch character, Bosch is absent.  Bosch plays a prominent role in the book, helping Mickey with a high profile homicide case, and turning out to be Mickey's half-brother.  Somehow, that omission and other alterations (the movie mogul is now a game software CEO, Patrick Henson the driver is now a black woman) don't clash too much with the essence of the original story and I could enjoy the fresh take.

But really, Connelly is so page turningly readable that you could just as well go back to the book and make a nice movie in your head.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2022, 12:33:35 PM »

The series finale of Ozark is more cynical than I would have wished for, but at least the fade to black before a shot is heard gives me some hope that Mel might have had the sense to bring backup.  As for Wendy, well, move over Lady MacBeth.  Quite the chilling performance from Linney.  The series has been a showcase for female actors, with Julia Garner being amazing as Ruth.

Poor Rachel. She never caught a break.

Great series, though, and a perfect and realistic ending in the sense that it aligns with who these demented people really are.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17