Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584089 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12525 on: April 12, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »

A majority in the House is effectively a supermajority. Confederate fifth column McConnell has eroded the senate to where a simple majority is replacing the sixty vote threshold in more and more circumstances, because if they never actually negotiate they won’t be expected to come up with any good ideas which we all know republicans are terminally incapable of doing.

Instead of a supermajority we can more accurately call what the republicans had a stupidmajority or a septicmajority, as you prefer.

It's not a supermajority - a supermajority in the House traditionally means able to overcome a veto. And with the largely lost filibuster not a factor, that will be what it means in the Senate, too - but a filibuster used to be at a higher threshold than it is now, as well.

Traditionally? Really Josh?

What the fuck has been normal since 2010?

It’s that kind of splitting of hairs that render the logical arguments you demand with idiots moot.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12526 on: April 12, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »

A majority in the House is effectively a supermajority. Confederate fifth column McConnell has eroded the senate to where a simple majority is replacing the sixty vote threshold in more and more circumstances, because if they never actually negotiate they won’t be expected to come up with any good ideas which we all know republicans are terminally incapable of doing.

Instead of a supermajority we can more accurately call what the republicans had a stupidmajority or a septicmajority, as you prefer.

It's not a supermajority - a supermajority in the House traditionally means able to overcome a veto. And with the largely lost filibuster not a factor, that will be what it means in the Senate, too - but a filibuster used to be at a higher threshold than it is now, as well.

Veto was never going to come up between big swamp donnie, mullah Mitch, and supine Paul Ryan.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: April 12, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

It’s that kind of splitting of hairs that render the logical arguments you demand with idiots moot.

Then it's just a majority, Larry. It's not a supermajority, even with that complaint.

I'm sorry your offended, but one vote more than half is not a supermajority. It's NOT hairsplitting. It's English.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: April 12, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »

We can call what republicans used to attack America as full a hold on power as they will ever have again if the nation is to survive.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12530 on: April 12, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »

Then it's just a majority, Larry. It's not a supermajority, even with that complaint.

I'm sorry your offended, but one vote more than half is not a supermajority. It's NOT hairsplitting. It's English.

Great you win something. Because my English was a bit suspect my argument is rendered moot.

Shall we oppose the coming Apocalypse or negate that argument over grammar and semantics?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: April 12, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »

Buttigieg-Harris, with Swalwell as AG till he takes a spot in CA’s Senate Delegation is my favored outcome for the Democratic ticket based on the race so far.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: April 12, 2019, 06:31:00 PM »

Now he's aged well beyond his years, ..and gone somewhat, well, seemingly not quite so normal in the head...7 years in a dark room with only a computer and a cat.
Faeces on walls or something.

Like two peas in a pod, you and Julian.

LOL

No faeces on my walls...they're new and clean and very nice...neutral tones.
Never ever ever would I be going home with 'strange' women from conferences and sleeping with them, like he did.
I have a dog, not a cat, and my rooms are all full of sunlight during the day.

Publish stolen/leaked files/cables from the US govt/CIA?  Me?
If I fed that thru the 'risk assessment' section of my mind's computer I would get a very negative result.
Bells would ring, sirens would go off..."NO NO NO NO NO" would be the answer.
"You could get into big trouble".

Mr Assange and I are as different as night and day.

Embassy staff complained of him skateboarding at night, playing loud music and walking around in his underwear with no apparent concern for others in the tiny embassy.
One senior Ecuadorian official described his room as a "sovereign territory within a sovereign territory" that none of the staff at No 3 Hans Crescent could enter.

But the stench from going weeks without a shower, and dental problems born of poor hygiene, was a constant nuisance, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to discuss details of Assange's behaviour.

Then there was the issue of Assange's faeces, which authorities said he spread across embassy walls on at least one occasion in an act of open defiance showing how little he thought of his hosts.
"When you're given shelter, cared for and provided food, you don't denounce the owner of the house," Mr Moreno said on Thursday, to applause.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: April 12, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »

Death penalty, Bambi?  really?

U.S. Justice Department officials seek to put Assange on trial for allegedly conspiring to break into a classified government computer at the Pentagon. The charge was announced after Assange was taken into custody. If found guilty, Assange faces a maximum five years in prison     
-AP News

Yes, death penalty.

If Mr. Assange is convicted on the conspiracy to hack offense alone, he could face up to five years in prison. The government could later seek to charge him with additional offenses,

#####

Yes, like "threatening the national security of the United States" for example.
Then 20 others, some carrying the death penalty.

Australian govt would not be buying a ticket to ride this express and mentioning the death penalty for no reason.
If Assange finishes up in a death chamber it'll be Britain Aussie blames.

Once he's in US custody on US soil...

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »

Great you win something. Because my English was a bit suspect my argument is rendered moot.

Shall we oppose the coming Apocalypse or negate that argument over grammar and semantics?

Has nothing to do with your baseline argument.

I'm sorry it bothers you so much to be corrected on this sort of thing, Larry. I will try to remember for the next time, but it doesn't exactly happen often. And correcting other people doesn't seem to be a problem for any of us unless we are correcting Ham who declares war, Ward who denies anything happened and insists the other person did it, or Bambi who quotes his favorite radio host to prove he's right.

And it's not the Apocalypse, it's a cataclysm. ;-)

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: April 12, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »

'Treason' is the word I couldn't think of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/01/us-embassy-cables-executed-mike-huckabee

US embassy cables culprit should be executed, says Mike Huckabee

Republican presidential hopeful wants the person responsible for the WikiLeaks cables to face capital punishment for treason.

Kathleen McFarland, who served in the Pentagon under the Nixon, Ford and Reagan administrations, concurred with Huckabee. "It's time to up the charges," said McFarland, now a Fox News national security analyst. "Let's charge him and try him for treason. If he is found guilty, he should be executed."

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:32:56 PM by arafura »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »

'Treason' is the word I couldn't think of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/01/us-embassy-cables-executed-mike-huckabee

US embassy cables culprit should be executed, says Mike Huckabee

Republican presidential hopeful wants the person responsible for the WikiLeaks cables to face capital punishment for treason.

Kathleen McFarland, who served in the Pentagon under the Nixon, Ford and Reagan administrations, concurred with Huckabee. "It's time to up the charges," said McFarland, now a Fox News national security analyst. "Let's charge him and try him for treason. If he is found guilty, he should be executed."

Treason is narrowly defined in the Constitution.

You might look it up.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 4288