Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1603122 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #28035 on: February 27, 2020, 12:56:59 PM »

Thing is, even if Trump performed perfectly yesterday - real perfect, not Trump phone call perfect - he would be performing on a level of, oh, the mayor of Wilmington NC with a hurricane approaching. It is the nature of the task. But for Trump cultists even the routine stuff is evidence of genius.

But, as Dan Henninger wrote in the WSJ, Bernie has, possibly, a bigger problem.
Medicare For All.

A grim reality for medical science is that deadly mutating viruses are inevitable, as are antibiotic-resistant infections. We are in a race between a virus calamity and the ability to create effective vaccines and antiviral therapies.
Imagine if for the past 40 years, the U.S. health care system were run like Mr. Sanders’s two favorite alternatives—the U.K.’s National Health Service or Healthcare in Canada. It is only a slight exaggeration to say . . . we’d be dead.

A Medicare for All system in the U.S., with minimal private hospitals or physicians, would collapse beneath a real virus crisis. Medicare for All would smother the public-private infrastructure in the U.S. that develops, manufactures and distributes lifesaving therapies for viruses—or anything else.
The Wall Street Journal this week wrote about Moderna Inc., an 800-employee drug company in Cambridge, Mass., that is working around the clock to create a coronavirus vaccine within months. If BernieCare happens, they’re gone. No, you won’t be able to import the coronavirus vaccine from Canada.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-versus-the-coronavirus-11582763105?mod=opinion_lead_pos9

If only there were a parallel timeline (of the past 40 years) to which we could travel and see if the writer's entirely hypothetical situation had the slightest validity.  Or test the notion that government labs, or private labs receiving grants from the government, could not produce vaccines. 

Oh, wait....

https://www.hhs.gov/vaccines/national-vaccine-plan/funding-opportunity-vaccine-safety-research/index.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221822/

And, even more problematic for the WSJ prophet of doom (and assuming only a single exaggerated version of M4A) is the likelihood that such programs would expand and thrive under a NH umbrella.  Because no other country would be a precise map or model of what we will do here.  So hard when all you have to think with are talking points!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #28036 on: February 27, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »

Thing is, even if Trump performed perfectly yesterday - real perfect, not Trump phone call perfect - he would be performing on a level of, oh, the mayor of Wilmington NC with a hurricane approaching. It is the nature of the task. But for Trump cultists even the routine stuff is evidence of genius.
You are right.  The toughest thing facing Trump during this crisis is for him to  resist a Twitter battle with Bernie and the democrats.  Given his history it may be nigh on impossible for him to turn the other cheek. We shall see.

But, as Dan Henninger wrote in the WSJ, Bernie has, possibly, a bigger problem.
Medicare For All.

A grim reality for medical science is that deadly mutating viruses are inevitable, as are antibiotic-resistant infections. We are in a race between a virus calamity and the ability to create effective vaccines and antiviral therapies.
Imagine if for the past 40 years, the U.S. health care system were run like Mr. Sanders’s two favorite alternatives—the U.K.’s National Health Service or Healthcare in Canada. It is only a slight exaggeration to say . . . we’d be dead.

A Medicare for All system in the U.S., with minimal private hospitals or physicians, would collapse beneath a real virus crisis. Medicare for All would smother the public-private infrastructure in the U.S. that develops, manufactures and distributes lifesaving therapies for viruses—or anything else.
The Wall Street Journal this week wrote about Moderna Inc., an 800-employee drug company in Cambridge, Mass., that is working around the clock to create a coronavirus vaccine within months. If BernieCare happens, they’re gone. No, you won’t be able to import the coronavirus vaccine from Canada.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-versus-the-coronavirus-11582763105?mod=opinion_lead_pos9

I got whiplash from the rapid turn from the comically reversed dynamic of the first paragraph to the completely different subject of the second. I will only note that Sanders's proposal, like all MFA proposals, usurps payment for medical services, not the provision of them.
Then you are not paying attention. 

barton

« Reply #28037 on: February 27, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »

And as Ward and the WSJ writer both know, the GOP really really cares about public health!  That's why they cut funds for agencies like the CDC, defunded dozens of preventive healthcare programs, and have been busy dismantling the EPA since day one. 

But I do want to express my confidence in the new task force on coronavirus, now that they've appointed noted epidemiologists Steve Mnuchin and Larry Kudlow! 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:33:22 PM by barton »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28038 on: February 27, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »

The markets are showing a marked lack of confidence in the imposter administration and its ability to do its job.

Since you can’t grift your way out of an epidemic, the republicans have absolutely no response.

Trump is starting to smell like late second term Bush. He’s giving voters hundreds of reasons daily never to trust a republican ever again.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28039 on: February 27, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »

Yet again they did

Do you think you can keep the White House longer than 4/8 years if you do win it?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28040 on: February 27, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »

Yet again they did

Do you think you can keep the White House longer than 4/8 years if you do win it?
4 years, sure, depending on what happens of course. 8 years has only happened once since Truman.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28041 on: February 27, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »

Yet again they did

4 years, sure, depending on what happens of course. 8 years has only happened once since Truman.
?  Clinton and Obama?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #28042 on: February 27, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »

Redemption...

Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein can teach the people in prison how to make movies and television shows, and when the people get out of prison then they can make their own movies, etc. Instead of wasting their time in prison, they can teach the good things that they know to help to redeem other people for when the people get out. They can have film school in prison, etc, etc, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #28043 on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »

Don't embrace the "renewables now/zero emissions/other nations deserve jobs too" tripe, or you'll have the highest electricity prices in the world, 'no' jobs, 'no' money and no hope...as in Australia.

Jobless and penniless you will be.
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28044 on: February 27, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »

Trump is setting things up so there will be another republican president within a few years of the next time California elects a republican governor.

Republicans may like Democrats less than they have before but there are fewer republicans than there have been and the stupid, ugly, crooked organ of white supremacy and class war is loosing thousands more adherents every day.

Your ship be sinking, Kiid. M4A will cover the cost of your dementia care.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #28045 on: February 27, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »

Yet again they did

?  Clinton and Obama?
I was responding to kiid's "longer than" 4/8 years.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #28046 on: February 27, 2020, 03:44:05 PM »

Yet again they did

?  Clinton and Obama?

I don’t think the 2024 cycle will see the same number of white people ripe to be conned.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28047 on: February 27, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »

Yet again they did

?  Clinton and Obama?

Yes. His point is that 8 years has happened twice since Truman.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #28048 on: February 27, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

Yet again they did

?  Clinton and Obama?

Yes. His point is that 8 years has happened twice since Truman.
More than that. Repos from 53 to 61, Dems held the office for the 8 years from 61 to 69, Repos from 69 to 77, Repos from 81 to 93, Dems from 93 to 01, Repos from 01 to 09, Dems from 09 to 12. Only 81 to 93 saw the same party hold for longer than 8 years. 8 years, then time for a change is the norm.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28049 on: February 27, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »

I thought you were responding to the "you guys" and for "4/8 years". I basically f'ed the whole thing up.   
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 4288