Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2378 2379 [2380] 2381 2382 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605079 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35685 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »

Otherwise, I think both aging and my time in China has dulled my will to intervene.  Language and culture barrier means I might not know fully what's going on.  Or be able to explain myself so well if required to.  So I've become more of a head-down bystander than I would prefer.  A few times I have asked a woman if she was okay  when a guy on the sidewalk seemed to be manhandling her late at night.

Sometimes just stopping and asking is enough to get the aggressor to think twice.   If it's a heat of the moment thing, just inserting a pause into the moment can make a difference.   They take a couple breaths,  maybe realize someone is aware and could summon police.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35686 on: May 30, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »

Our legal expert shows his knowledge. Or lack of it.

Upped the charge from second to third degree murder did they? Do you ever have a fucking clue?

He seems to have confused the burn trauma unit with the courthouse.   

You and Harry might want to learn to read.
You might want to learn.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #35687 on: May 30, 2020, 01:01:07 PM »

With 40 million unemployed, and the probablity of being unemployed for awhile, people still getting sick and dieing from Covid and the ugly face of racism and police brutality sparking protest and rioting

There's a lot of pissed off and suddenly politicized people from different perspectives

it could be a long very hot summer

could civil unrest at the R-Convention be the spark of a law n order plank that Trump uses to bash the Dems?

I see some parallels to '68.

And that ain't good.

Would Trump stoke racism to energize the depolorables, while igniting violent protests that most Americans are against and don't want to rationalize?

In a NY minute.

The motherfucker cares little about how many people he hurts, and how many lives destroyed, for his own narrowly defined self-interests.

He is a malignant amoral cancer to our society and democracy that must be removed.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35688 on: May 30, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »

Otherwise, I think both aging and my time in China has dulled my will to intervene.  Language and culture barrier means I might not know fully what's going on.  Or be able to explain myself so well if required to.  So I've become more of a head-down bystander than I would prefer.  A few times I have asked a woman if she was okay  when a guy on the sidewalk seemed to be manhandling her late at night.

Sometimes just stopping and asking is enough to get the aggressor to think twice.   If it's a heat of the moment thing, just inserting a pause into the moment can make a difference.   They take a couple breaths,  maybe realize someone is aware and could summon police.

What do you do, who do you call when that someone is the police?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35689 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:27 PM »

Upped the charge from second to third degree murder did they? Do you ever have a fucking clue?

Anyway,  sure looks like a "depraved heart" criterion is met, for M3.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2020/05/30/chauvin-charged-but-is-it-legally-sufficient/?fbclid=IwAR0-jv6i8Tr14CtqqSdXvHeKa7jF0oQoq_DnbZ2NzI6ubEiIDaq7LcoD6I4
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #35690 on: May 30, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »

You might want to learn.
You might want to learn to read.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35691 on: May 30, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »

Is there any reason for me to not simply delete these non-responses? They're not even banter.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35692 on: May 30, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »

Yes.

And sometimes it is enough to have you become the target, instead.

Think about the recent news items about clerks or security guards asking folks to wear masks.

I got beaten up (okay, it was one punch, but that was enough, given the ex-boxer who did it) for asking a woman to stop smoking in the No Smoking car on a train, more than 40 years ago.

Today? I would probably still do it, but I sure would be nervous.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35693 on: May 30, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »

I think you all misread what Red originally wrote, which I read to say that the cop should have been charged with second-degree murder as it might be hard to up the charge later. I think this is right.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:09:39 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35694 on: May 30, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »

I did that shit in a heartbeat back in my East Village days... but intervene with police more than verbally (and not too aggressively) because I wouldn’t be this old if I did.

Yes.

And sometimes it is enough to have you become the target, instead.

Think about the recent news items about clerks or security guards asking folks to wear masks.

I got beaten up (okay, it was one punch, but that was enough, given the ex-boxer who did it) for asking a woman to stop smoking in the No Smoking car on a train, more than 40 years ago.

Today? I would probably still do it, but I sure would be nervous.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #35695 on: May 30, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »

I think you all misread what Red originally wrote, which I read to say that the cop should have been charged with second-degree murder as it might be hard to up the charge later. I think this is right.
They started with a lesser charge to get him to jail  and confident they could prove that case in court beyond a reasonable doubt. Getting to that degree of confidence on second degree is going to take more time.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35696 on: May 30, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »

The mayor of St. Paul says everybody arrested last night was from out of state. Add that to the police unstigating attacks on property, and the picture of events there changes a lot.

Emily Wharton of Minneapolis took this:

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35697 on: May 30, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »

Seems Kellie Chauvin has reached out to the Floyd family, and filed for divorce.
Speculation whether it's to get away from a controlling brute or to shield her assets.

I need to get to Laos some time.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35698 on: May 30, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »

You might want to learn.
You might want to learn to read.
You might want to learn.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35699 on: May 30, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »

The mayor of St. Paul says everybody arrested last night was from out of state. Add that to the police unstigating attacks on property, and the picture of events there changes a lot.

A defense atty friend has noted that he is highly skeptical of the claim that everybody who was arrested was from out of state, explaining that it is a way for the police to reduce the significance of the protests.

Oddly enough, the protesters, too, have a stake in the violence coming from outside.
Pages: 1 ... 2378 2379 [2380] 2381 2382 ... 4288