Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2379 2380 [2381] 2382 2383 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604762 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35701 on: May 30, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »

Some of President Trump's thugs:
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35702 on: May 30, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »

I think you all misread what Red originally wrote, which I read to say that the cop should have been charged with second-degree murder as it might be hard to up the charge later. I think this is right.
They started with a lesser charge to get him to jail  and confident they could prove that case in court beyond a reasonable doubt. Getting to that degree of confidence on second degree is going to take more time.

They should’ve all been arrested the day they were fired.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35703 on: May 30, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »

No argument from me.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35704 on: May 30, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »

Seems Kellie Chauvin has reached out to the Floyd family, and filed for divorce.
Speculation whether it's to get away from a controlling brute or to shield her assets.

I need to get to Laos some time.

Either way it’s the smart move.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35705 on: May 30, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »

And in good news:

http://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/politics/cdc-coronavirus-briefings-resume/index.html

I'd rather it weren't called for, but the fact that Trump had muted their voice is just another indictment of his so-called leadership.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35706 on: May 30, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »

I think you all misread what Red originally wrote, which I read to say that the cop should have been charged with second-degree murder as it might be hard to up the charge later. I think this is right.
While Red struggles with expressing himself in normal English, I disagree with your reading.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35707 on: May 30, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »

Out of touch.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/politics/trump-secret-service-floyd-white-house-protests/index.html

Trump slams White House protesters as 'just there to cause trouble' as DC mayor defends city

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35708 on: May 30, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »

While Red struggles with expressing himself in normal English, I disagree with your reading.

Gonna go with Yank and Red here. Paul Butler has good analysis of reasoning and implications of the various charges.

Swift justice & getting it to stick as murder are rightly higher priorities that hitting him with the maximum charge.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35709 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »

Charge them on the evidence in hand and charge all three at the same time.

As for the degree of participation?

Big fucking deal.

Like the cops alway say, “Tell it to the judge.”

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35710 on: May 30, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »

Charge them on the evidence in hand and charge all three at the same time.

As for the degree of participation?

Big fucking deal.

Like the cops alway say, “Tell it to the judge.”
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35711 on: May 30, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »

Along with the other cops there is someone else the law should be looking at.

http://www.vox.com/identities/2020/5/30/21275588/trump-policing-policies-doj-george-floyd-protests

Uncharged accessory to the murder of George Floyd and instigator of the chaos and violence that has followed.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #35712 on: May 30, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »

Our legal expert shows his knowledge. Or lack of it.

Upped the charge from second to third degree murder did they? Do you ever have a fucking clue?

He seems to have confused the burn trauma unit with the courthouse.   

Anyway,  sure looks like a "depraved heart" criterion is met, for M3.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2020/05/30/chauvin-charged-but-is-it-legally-sufficient/?fbclid=IwAR0-jv6i8Tr14CtqqSdXvHeKa7jF0oQoq_DnbZ2NzI6ubEiIDaq7LcoD6I4

Yes,  it's not straightforward, but I'm leaning towards those last three minutes rising to M3.  I know,  it depends on less ambiguous findings from the ME.  To use the writer's analogy,  even if Chauvin had fired a bullet into a crowd and it had struck no one, the fear it caused may have been a contributing factor in the crowd member who had a heart attack.   IOW Floyd may have been headed for a heart attack,  but Chauvin's brutality changed the destination from ICU to morgue.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:11:18 PM by barton »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35713 on: May 30, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35714 on: May 30, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2379 2380 [2381] 2382 2383 ... 4288