Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4090 4091 [4092] 4093 4094 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1870303 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61365 on: December 30, 2020, 10:08:11 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/12/30/2004938/-Another-Girlfriend-Marginalized-for-Reporting-Her-Crazy-Ass-Boyfriend-to-the-Police-Chaos-Ensues

We’ve got to fix this policing problem while we figure out how to roll out these vaccines, probably needing to start the whole system over from scratch and arresting some of the grifters gumming up the works.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61366 on: December 30, 2020, 10:09:21 PM »

The income phaseout is ridiculous, that's reason enough for both parties to dump it.   My AGI is under 75K, but I really don't need the $600.  Sure that's true for many Americans.   Instead of $600 for almost everyone, make it $2000 for everyone whose last recorded AGI is below the poverty line.

Fuck you - I want the 2K
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61367 on: December 30, 2020, 10:41:23 PM »

Vile China virus.  Thank God for Operation Warp Speed.

A Trumper to the bitter end ...

It's a potent virus, but it's transmission was pretty easy to understand and therefore controllable.

Again, Pfizer wasn't part of Op WS, and they had the first vaccine.  And Trump ordering 100M doses (if it was approved) wasn't significant, as Pfizer could sell a few Billion doses if they could produce them.  Also Trump declined to get early in line for another 100M Pfizer doses.  Oops.

Astra-Zeneca vaccine just coming on line was also outside the OWS hype.
kiid, why don't you address this?
How did Op WS change anything?
How is it Pfizer and A-Z were on the same time frame as OpWS Moderna?

Seems all you're doing is recycling Trump's self-congratulatory propaganda ...

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61368 on: December 30, 2020, 10:41:56 PM »

The income phaseout is ridiculous, that's reason enough for both parties to dump it.   My AGI is under 75K, but I really don't need the $600.  Sure that's true for many Americans.   Instead of $600 for almost everyone, make it $2000 for everyone whose last recorded AGI is below the poverty line.

Fuck you - I want the 2K

http://www.salon.com/2020/12/30/biographer-michael-dantonio-on-the-most-subversive-and-traitorous-federal-official-in-history/

I’d give up my share if the Senate would kindly instruct the Sargent at Arms to find mr. trump and push him down a flight of stairs or four.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61369 on: December 30, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »

Scientific “ research” China style:

From the Associated Press 

It was just one year ago when the first COVID-19 cases were reported in China.
Now  Beijing is clamping down on research into the pandemic’s origins but actively promoting fringe theories that it could have originated outside the country.

The government is distributing grant money to scientists -- as long as they are affiliated with the military -- to research the virus' origins in southern China while heavily monitoring any  findings and mandating that the publication of any data or research be approved by a new task force managed by China's cabinet, under direct orders from President Xi Jinping.

Uh huh.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61370 on: December 30, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »

You mean why dont I blame somebody?

Blame is for wimps.  Lots of folks out there doing great work.  Criticism, especially of the extreme variety, cheapens that.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61371 on: December 30, 2020, 11:02:24 PM »

Fuck you - I want the 2K
Make nice with Barton.
He has $600 coming he doesn’t want 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61372 on: December 30, 2020, 11:12:21 PM »

A Chi­nese court Monday sen­tenced 37-year-old Zhang Zhan to four years in prison for “pick­ing quar­rels and pro­vok­ing trou­ble,” but her real of­fense was telling the truth about the gov­ernment’s early mis­hanling of Covid.
Ms. Zhang rushed to Wuhan in early 2020 to re­port on the coro­n­avirus out­break and the gov­ern­ment’s re­sponse. She vis­ited hos­pi­tals and cre­ma­tori­ums, in­ter­viewed ter­ri­fied Wuhan lo­cals, posted more than 120 video clips on You-Tube, and shared her in­sights with for­eign me­dia. On Twit­ter she ob­served that the party flags and red sym­bols at many neigh-bor­hood en­trances all in­di­cate that epi­demic pre­ven­tion isn’t im­portant. Pro­tect­ing regime sta­bil­ity that has been im­pacted by the pan­demic is the ac­tual goal.

Wall Street Journal
December 30, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61373 on: December 30, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »

China politicizing the Virus and making up fringe theories about its origins?  like Sounds a lot like Trump ...

But I thought Red was a China expert -- so this shouldn't be anything he wouldn't have expected.

So isn't Distribution a key part of Op WS?
Trump promised 20M doses by Jan 1.  Fail!
Seems 11.5M were shipped, and a lot hasn't been distributed yet.
The General heading the program admitted that he farked up and miscalculated (by a factor of 2) how many doses would be available in December. 
Great program ...

And couldn't distribution be improved if the Feds coordinated things (using actual correct info)?

Otherwise, I'm somewhat surprised about drive-thru inoculations centers.
(unlike kiid who snickered about drive thru testing, only to learn that it was smart as it isolated people and was efficient).
But drive thru vaccination? 
First off people need to park and sit in their cars for 20-30 mins to make sure they don't go into anaphylactic shock -- a severe allergic reaction in which your body shuts down major functions possibly including breathing).
But if they have to wait 30 minutes and maybe have to drive another 30 mins plus, likely further in rural states, you're talking the first hour of their body developing a strong immune response to an attenuated viral invader.  And not everyone will drive straight home.

I'm not sure how soon adverse reactions set in, but they include dizziness, headache, fever.  Should people really be driving as these symptoms manifest?  I assume scientific and gov't folks have considered this. 

Once when I got a yellow fever vaccine, it felt like my leg bones had been filled with lead, my movements were unnaturally slow, balance somewhat affected, and I felt mildly dizzy for a few hours.  Now that was the result of a glorious butt shot rather than arm jab, but you need arms to drive especially for a stick shift.  But if you generally feel weak and dizzy, driving wouldn't be recommended.

Again, I suspect they have this figured out ... perhaps the onset of reactions takes some time.  But if you're inoculating hundreds of millions, even small numbers get magnified.  So I was surprised they are filling people with viral loads and sending them off in tons of rolling metal.  Would like to get more details.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61374 on: December 30, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »

Vile China virus.  Thank God for Operation Warp Speed.

A Trumper to the bitter end ...

It's a potent virus, but it's transmission was pretty easy to understand and therefore controllable.

Again, Pfizer wasn't part of Op WS, and they had the first vaccine.  And Trump ordering 100M doses (if it was approved) wasn't significant, as Pfizer could sell a few Billion doses if they could produce them.  Also Trump declined to get early in line for another 100M Pfizer doses.  Oops.

Astra-Zeneca vaccine just coming on line was also outside the OWS hype.
How did Op WS change anything?
How is it Pfizer and A-Z were on the same time frame as OpWS Moderna?

Seems all you're doing is recycling Trump's self-congratulatory propaganda ...
Of the 6 million Covid Vaccinations worldwide the USA has accounted for over 3 Million, by far the most of any country.  China has 1 million and it started five months ago with a vaccine that hasn’t been fully tested.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61375 on: December 30, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »

So the promised 20M doses by Jan 1 is more like 5M?
Way to go!

No one doubts that the US Big Pharma is impressive.
But Pfizer partnered with a German company in order to get in the lead.
Which is why the US is ahead in vaccinations.
How the Trump Admin finagles credit for that is unclear.

But why is 3M vaccinations a great credit to Trump but 20M infections and 300K deaths just shrug?
The Trump Epidemic is still unfolding, still peaking, and has been catastrophic.
Wake up! 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61376 on: December 31, 2020, 12:47:15 AM »

Btw, China has 5 vaccine candidates.
I believe all are traditional vaccines -- that is attenuated virus grown in chicken eggs.  Which is a pretty cool concept, but does seem rather 1900 and dated.
The messenger RNA method which Pfizer and Moderna utilized should be the wave of the future.

Sinopharm's vaccine just received conditional approval in China.  Said to be 80% effective, which is good, but below the levels of Pfizer, Moderna, A-Z.
China, with essentially no domestic transmission, isn't in a hurry to get people vaccinated, and most people are in wait-and-see mode anyway.  So while China will get Sinopharm's vaccine to frontline workers, they'll also be a wait to see if the others CH vaccines are more effective, the extent of adverse reactions, etc.
I'm wondering if hospitals in China will require doctors and nurses to get vaccinated.

The Chinese vaccines have the advantage that they only require refrigeration but not freezing or super-cooling.  So they'll be better for poorer countries.

Initially I believe the US had 6 vaccines being developed.  I haven't heard much about the others.  I think J&J's was close to completing Stage III trials.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61377 on: December 31, 2020, 12:47:55 AM »

So the promised 20M doses by Jan 1 is more like 5M?
Way to go!

No one doubts that the US Big Pharma is impressive.
But Pfizer partnered with a German company in order to get in the lead.
Which is why the US is ahead in vaccinations.
How the Trump Admin finagles credit for that is unclear.

But why is 3M vaccinations a great credit to Trump but 20M infections and 300K deaths just shrug?
The Trump Epidemic is still unfolding, still peaking, and has been catastrophic.
Wake up!
There have been over 100 million infections in the USA.(and that is a conservative count)
China started this and was wholly incompetent in understanding the relevance of Covid-19.
Namely that it posed relative little harm to younger (and healthier) people.
From the  beginning the death risk was embarrassingly exaggerated ,  the lock-downs were not sustain­able due to the costs they im­posed on peo­ple who were at low risk, and everyone’s ef­forts would be bet­ter in­vested in shield­ing those at high risk of a bad med­ical out­come.
You can preach all you want about masks if it makes you feel superior..
Who cares?
We now have vaccines that no one predicted would come this fast.
In the US where supply and inoculations are leading the world it is  a testimony to capitalism and a government that is flexible under our federalist system to get out of the way when problems need to solved 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61378 on: December 31, 2020, 12:49:38 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/us/florida-coronavirus-vaccine-line/index.html

Speaking of that most excellent vaccine roll-out.

I keep waiting to hear that they are shutting down vaccine stations and requiring voter ID cards.

From the cited article.

Fran Lundell, 70, and her husband, Andy, 73, were among those who successfully signed up, and they were vaccinated after waiting in their cars at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando on Tuesday.
When can YOU get the vaccine? It depends on your health, occupation and where you live

They said they went to the county website to schedule an appointment as soon as it was announced. Fran got an appointment quickly, but it took Andy four or five attempts to get a slot.
"We think we're lucky," Fran Lundell said. "We thought maybe March or April we might get it, but this is fantastic to get it, certainly."
Jim Seltzer, who was also vaccinated Wednesday, praised the job the county did.
"I thought it was very well organized. I thought they did an excellent job," he said. "I mean, it was a long wait, but you know, I expected that."
Population of Maricopa County? 4.5 million.  Number of vaccination centers? 1. Warp Speed!

And he totally glossed over, "among those who successfully signed up.

The individual center sounds like it ran like clockwork.

The process leading up to it ran like shit.

But Ward's proud that the one place they ran ran well, albeit very slowly.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61379 on: December 31, 2020, 12:50:47 AM »

So Josh Hawley is going to object to the electoral college both, along with some far right congressctitters. I think this is great. I want every single Senator and Representative on record on whether they support democracy and whether they support fair and free elections, or whether they support turning the US into a petty dictatorship. And I want their names known, published and remembered. The American people need to make them pay at the ballot box.

I already sent my thank you note to him!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 4090 4091 [4092] 4093 4094 ... 4288