Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4088 4089 [4090] 4091 4092 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873309 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61335 on: December 30, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »

Great. Now Trump has murdered on of my first erotic fantasies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dawn-wells-dead/2020/12/30/c7546744-b84a-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html

As a long-standing and faithful member of Team Mary Ann, this news saddens me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61338 on: December 30, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »

I hate censorship. Especially the seriously wrong-headed kind like this:

A sustained effort is under way to deny children access to literature. Under the slogan #DisruptTexts, critical-theory ideologues, schoolteachers and Twitter agitators are purging and propagandizing against classic texts—everything from Homer to F. Scott Fitzgerald to Dr. Seuss....

Does sound disturbingly Maoist in its zeal and groupthink.  Sounds like a degenerate branch of the Left,  which has forgotten the American Left's fine tradition of support for free speech and intellectual freedom.   Just as the white supremacist tarnishes the American Right,  so too does the Maoist book burner tarnish the Left.   

Left-wing philosophy began in one of the world's great libraries,  the Reading Room of the British Museum,  which then housed the British Library,  where Marx wrote Das Kapital.   It would be a sad irony if people allied with the Left start clearing shelves.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #61339 on: December 30, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

Changing what is and isn’t in the literary canon and expected to be widely taught is categorically and fundamentally different from organizing a banning of a book.

Are groups actually saying take any book off shelves, out of libraries, or any private collection?

Some books are banned, like trump’s only bedside reading. I haven’t seen anything in the reporting Uno referenced and Barton took to heart that talks about out and out banning or even restricting availability of any book mentioned. Unless there is something clear along those lines referenced, and not just innuendo, I feel it’s worth pointing out that changes to the cannon happen all the time and are pushed for even more often than they actually occur.

In the article,  a school system removes The Odyssey.  I mean,  come on.  And several people in the group wanted to remove all classics over 70 years old.   Which would be most of them,  and would leave students with,  as the writer said,  with a poverty of language and culture and historical understanding.   It's a disservice to young minds to act as if they cannot learn to put stories in an historical context.   How many students will venture to the public library, to seek out books carefully not mentioned in school? 

It's not banning,  but the effect on most students who are not library wonks,  will be stunting.   Many in school find an introduction to the past and its literature.   

The dogpile on the woman defending The Scarlet Letter was insane and alarming to anyone who might think the Puritans were a part of American history.

Yep. EXACTLY. This is what they're doing in Burbank, CA, too by banning Twain, and "The Cay", and a few others.

This kind of action is the redefining of the term "trigger happy"!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #61340 on: December 30, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #61341 on: December 30, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »

This is what they're doing in Burbank, CA, too by banning Twain, and "The Cay", and a few others.

This post makes me wonder just who’s fence you are painting today.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #61343 on: December 30, 2020, 04:12:02 PM »

This is what they're doing in Burbank, CA, too by banning Twain, and "The Cay", and a few others.

This post makes me wonder just who’s fence you are painting today.

Guess you don't really understand consistent viewpoints, then.

Book burners, reading list limiters, and history revisionists share a common purpose. They do not wish to educate. They wish to inculcate.

Sorry you're on the wrong side of this issue.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #61344 on: December 30, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

Things actually happened the way you’ve thought they did from the moment you first had a conception of them. It’s because there is a fixed perfectly documented official history to which we all adhere, complete with correct interpretations and free of incomplete or contradictory information.

Or history is always being revised and revisited, and lists changed.

The burning and banning reference in your post, Uno, is ahistorical.

Sorry.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #61345 on: December 30, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »

I see you have no idea what you or anyone else is discussing.

barton

« Reply #61346 on: December 30, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »

Great. Now Trump has murdered on of my first erotic fantasies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dawn-wells-dead/2020/12/30/c7546744-b84a-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html

As a long-standing and faithful member of Team Mary Ann, this news saddens me.

Mary Ann,  no contest.   Though leaving Lovey Howell off the ballot is ageist and wrong.   Natalie Schafer was pretty smokin,  too.   

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #61347 on: December 30, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/vic-jiangsu-chinadaily-004401992.html

‘Revenge’: China’s new warning to Australia amid trade spat

China has taken fresh aim at Australia, accusing it of “stigmatising” and “demonising” the Asian superpower by “associating bilateral ties with political ideologies or geopolitics”.

A new editorial published by China Daily, a publication owned by the Chinese Communist Party, accused Australia of “perceiving [China] to be a threat” by seeing the state “through an ideological prism”.

The editorial took issue with a recent article published by the Sydney Morning Herald that revealed that the Federal Government was considering axing a Victorian research partnership with China’s Jiangsu province.

#####

Last time I looked, sister cities, friendship cities, friendship districts were being cancelled ...too many insults hurled by China, too many jobs in Australia being lost by China's trade bans...wheat being the latest one.
Wouldn't surprise me if that research partnership gets cancelled...bambu-ilk still got some pride left.

"Perceiving China to be a threat"...yes...more than one person fears an invasion by China, it's already basically said it's going to go to war with Taiwan.
A physical threat, and economical threat, China is perceived to be by many people...not least of all retired no 1 radio host.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61348 on: December 30, 2020, 07:56:52 PM »

Mitch McConnell again Trumps Nancy and Chuck.
LOL!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #61349 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:13 PM »

Red has weird sense of "humor."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 4088 4089 [4090] 4091 4092 ... 4288