Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4081 4082 [4083] 4084 4085 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1879042 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61230 on: December 28, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »

The House has passed the $2000 with a greater than 2/3rds vote.

They are voting now on the override of the President's veto - 83 86 89 GOP Representatives have already voted for the override, which looks like it will easily pass its required 2/3rds, as well.

And it passed, w/more than 60% of the GOP members joining more than 90% of the Democratic Party members in support of the override.

Now the Senate will have to do both bills.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #61231 on: December 28, 2020, 07:46:20 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show about remodeling the home, etc. I could buy a vineyard and winery in Italy and make a television show out of it, and I could open a night club in Rome, etc, I could put the music students on television (I want the music students from The Saint Louis College of Music to jam at my club, and I want for the music students to use my club as a hang out), and I could open an office at Cinecitta to make "The Count of Monte Cristo." There is a lot of stuff that I could do, and we could film it all for one of the television stations, maybe A&E or something.

Here is a vineyard and winery for sale in Tuscany, making Chianti wine, with the option of buying more land to make more wine. I want to own a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, and this is the type of thing I would be interested in doing.

https://youtu.be/rFrfAV_F2es

It would take a lot of workers to run and maintain such a venture, but I can get workers from the Philippines. The Filipinos love Italy. I could hire Filipinos to help me.

I could film the whole process and show it on a television channel. Then I can use the money from the show to help to buy the real estate and to open the night club etc. Plus, the audience from the television show would eagerly be awaiting "The Count of Monte Cristo."

Just a few thoughts.

Salute,

Tony V.

Aiming big is what is often promoted in the media etc. "Anything is possible" it is said.
Of course, anything is not possible. "Anything is possible" is a crazy ridiculous thing to be promoting.

Nice dream of yours...and there's nothing wrong with dreaming.
The practicalities of your idea are very daunting.

The purchase price of that Tuscan mansion and winery would be astronomical.
Filipino workers, even if you could get them into Italy, would have to be paid well...not $5 per day.
Wine?   Make money out of wine?
Aussie is selling nice wine "Yellow Tail", for $10 a bottle.

Why not start off with a YouTube channel, doing something you think people might like to watch and free subscribe to, and pay subscribe to as a "Patreon". There are courses you can do about making videos, using drones and uploading the videos  to YouTube and now Tik Tok.

barton

« Reply #61232 on: December 28, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »

I hate censorship. Especially the seriously wrong-headed kind like this:

A sustained effort is under way to deny children access to literature. Under the slogan #DisruptTexts, critical-theory ideologues, schoolteachers and Twitter agitators are purging and propagandizing against classic texts—everything from Homer to F. Scott Fitzgerald to Dr. Seuss....

Does sound disturbingly Maoist in its zeal and groupthink.  Sounds like a degenerate branch of the Left,  which has forgotten the American Left's fine tradition of support for free speech and intellectual freedom.   Just as the white supremacist tarnishes the American Right,  so too does the Maoist book burner tarnish the Left.   

Left-wing philosophy began in one of the world's great libraries,  the Reading Room of the British Museum,  which then housed the British Library,  where Marx wrote Das Kapital.   It would be a sad irony if people allied with the Left start clearing shelves.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61233 on: December 28, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »

Eating dead animal parts:

1) disgusting and unhygienic

2) will lead to killing and eventually an industrial scale daily animal holocaust*

How many animals are killed in the USofA every day?
Land animals only (USDA 2018 slaughter):
Every year: 8,380,450,000. Every day: 22,960,000. Every hour: 956,700.

A million animals killed per hour!

39 million cattle and calves are killed for food in the U.S each year.
800,000 per day.

25 million chickens are killed per day in the US
8 Billion per year

123M pigs get their throats slit and innards ripped out and chopped into pieces

Keep up with the unrelenting death totals:
https://animalclock.org/

Did you know that 26.2% of retail meat gets thrown away?

And the clock tallying the number of animals killed during the time you've been on their website is killer.

"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought.“

Isaac Bashevis Singer
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61234 on: December 28, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »

And Kid calls [i[me[/i] morbid!

But the stats only get more gruesome when you consider the trees and insects we kill off all the time.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #61235 on: December 28, 2020, 08:35:27 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show...
Under theTuscan Sun. But I suspect Diane Lane is more cinematically photogenic than you are.

I've "considered" dating her.   Wonder if there's a Tuscan recipe for roadkill possum.   

I understand now that you are an authority on eating roadkill.   Your Dad sounds resourceful, if he loaded up a dead deer, brought it home, drained it,  gutted it,  skinned it,  and butchered it  (or mustered assistance at home in so doing).     

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #61236 on: December 28, 2020, 08:52:29 PM »

Unrelenting death toll?
Yes.

14 January 2021.
Cory Johnson...Black...alive now but soon to be dead.

15 January 2021.
Dustin Higgs...Black...alive now but soon to be dead.

Biden should stop all the cold-blooded killing by the federal govt and state govts.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:56:11 PM by bambu. »

barton

« Reply #61237 on: December 28, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »

I could see a path between factory farming and total veganism.   Maybe the "Buffalo Common" concept,  where meat is a luxury item for special occasions,  and comes from culling a free ranging herd that lives out their lives away from humans.   No hormone shots,  antibiotics,  branding,  feedlot fattening,  none of that.   Maintain the original ecosystem of the Great Plains in a healthy state,  on land that doesn't support cropping anyway unless you drain the aquifer to irrigate intensely.

My digestive system, and overall health, seems to prefer a vegetarian diet,  but I eat fish once a week.  It's easier to digest than land animals,  and I can buy wild caught, and it's anti-inflammatory in its fatty acid ratios.   And,  as GB Shaw put it (roughly), I like to leave the animals alone.   

barton

« Reply #61238 on: December 28, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »

Everyone here would get something to think on from Cory Doctorow's story,  "Model Minority. " 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61239 on: December 28, 2020, 09:12:54 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show about remodeling the home, etc. I could buy a vineyard and winery in Italy and make a television show out of it, and I could open a night club in Rome, etc, I could put the music students on television (I want the music students from The Saint Louis College of Music to jam at my club, and I want for the music students to use my club as a hang out), and I could open an office at Cinecitta to make "The Count of Monte Cristo." There is a lot of stuff that I could do, and we could film it all for one of the television stations, maybe A&E or something.

Here is a vineyard and winery for sale in Tuscany, making Chianti wine, with the option of buying more land to make more wine. I want to own a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, and this is the type of thing I would be interested in doing.

https://youtu.be/rFrfAV_F2es

It would take a lot of workers to run and maintain such a venture, but I can get workers from the Philippines. The Filipinos love Italy. I could hire Filipinos to help me.

I could film the whole process and show it on a television channel. Then I can use the money from the show to help to buy the real estate and to open the night club etc. Plus, the audience from the television show would eagerly be awaiting "The Count of Monte Cristo."

Just a few thoughts.

Salute,

Tony V.

Aiming big is what is often promoted in the media etc. "Anything is possible" it is said.
Of course, anything is not possible. "Anything is possible" is a crazy ridiculous thing to be promoting.

Nice dream of yours...and there's nothing wrong with dreaming.
The practicalities of your idea are very daunting.

The purchase price of that Tuscan mansion and winery would be astronomical.
Filipino workers, even if you could get them into Italy, would have to be paid well...not $5 per day.
Wine?   Make money out of wine?
Aussie is selling nice wine "Yellow Tail", for $10 a bottle.

Why not start off with a YouTube channel, doing something you think people might like to watch and free subscribe to, and pay subscribe to as a "Patreon". There are courses you can do about making videos, using drones and uploading the videos  to YouTube and now Tik Tok.

Look through some old scripts or treatments and see if you can find shootable vignettes. It’s a damn good place to start at any point in life. Who knows where a project will lead you. What can you do with what you have on hand?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61240 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show...
Under theTuscan Sun. But I suspect Diane Lane is more cinematically photogenic than you are.

I've "considered" dating her.   Wonder if there's a Tuscan recipe for roadkill possum.   

I understand now that you are an authority on eating roadkill.   Your Dad sounds resourceful, if he loaded up a dead deer, brought it home, drained it,  gutted it,  skinned it,  and butchered it  (or mustered assistance at home in so doing).   
He took it to the butcher. Had the thing hanging upside down in the garage and told my sister and I there was a surprise for us in the garage. I don't think Linda ever completely forgave him.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61241 on: December 28, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »

Changing what is and isn’t in the literary canon and expected to be widely taught is categorically and fundamentally different from organizing a banning of a book.

Are groups actually saying take any book off shelves, out of libraries, or any private collection?

Some books are banned, like trump’s only bedside reading. I haven’t seen anything in the reporting Uno referenced and Barton took to heart that talks about out and out banning or even restricting availability of any book mentioned. Unless there is something clear along those lines referenced, and not just innuendo, I feel it’s worth pointing out that changes to the cannon happen all the time and are pushed for even more often than they actually occur.

It sounds like an opportunity for a private venture promoting the true cannon or the classic cannon of American literature if in fact any of this takes hold and that creates a sizable demand for the material.

Barton, thanks for the tip on the fish. It gives me a lot to think about going forward.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #61242 on: December 28, 2020, 10:39:30 PM »

In a YouTube video ...two young guys in America sitting on the ground, leaning back against a car...discussing "the meaning of life."
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
They'll have a better life if ever a cop pulls them over in their cars and when they wind down their windows the smell of marijuana etc
doesn't nearly knock the cop off his/her feet.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:41:19 PM by bambu. »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #61243 on: December 28, 2020, 10:49:10 PM »

I love censorship.
'No' censorship in Germany sees topless women shown on the fronts of newspapers.
 Families deserve respect, that is not respect.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61244 on: December 28, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »

Biden should stop all the cold-blooded killing by the federal govt and state govts.

He can stop the feds'. He cannot stop the states'.

You just don't get it. The President is not a King.
Pages: 1 ... 4081 4082 [4083] 4084 4085 ... 4288