Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1737 1738 [1739] 1740 1741 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1985343 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #26071 on: January 08, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »

Israel, India and Poland - cool.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #26072 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:45 PM »

Yep, where rightwing illiberal gov'ts have been in power.
And don't forget the Phillipines!
Was Russia surveyed?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26073 on: January 08, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »

Israel, India and Poland - cool.

You gonna get fitted for that brown shirt or just get one off the rack?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #26074 on: January 08, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »

The New Times  reports that senior Facebook executive Andrew throws cold water on a favorite conspiracy theory of the political left:
So was Facebook responsible for Donald Trump getting elected?
Bosworth says :
I think the answer is yes, but not for the reasons anyone thinks.
He didn’t get elected because of Russia or misinformation or Cambridge Analytica. He got elected because he ran the single best digital ad campaign I’ve ever seen from any advertiser.
Period.

The NYT continues
(Cambridge Analytica was a political consulting firm and Trump campaign vendor which was accused of using personal data about Facebook users without their knowledge. The Federal Trade Commission recently settled a case with some of those involved, who agreed to destroy the data they collected and be honest with users in the future about data collection.)
The memo from Facebook’s
Mr. Bosworth continues:
To be clear, I’m no fan of Trump. I donated the max to Hillary. After his election I wrote a post about Trump supporters that I’m told caused colleagues who had supported him to feel unsafe around me (I regret that post and deleted shortly after).
But [Trump campaign digital media chief Brad Parscale ] and Trump just did unbelievable work. They weren’t running misinformation or hoaxes. They weren’t microtargeting or saying different things to different people. They just used the tools we had to show the right creative to each person. The use of custom audiences, video, ecommerce, and fresh creative remains the high water mark of digital ad campaigns in my opinion.

“Creative” is a noun in the marketing world, used to describe the particular advertisements designed to deliver messages. Mr. Bosworth fears that Team Trump is still really good at creating them and therefore he fears that Mr. Trump may win again.

As a committed liberal I find myself desperately wanting to pull any lever at my disposal to avoid the same result. So what stays my hand?,” asks Mr. Bosworth. He writes, “I find myself thinking of the Lord of the Rings at this moment. Specifically when Frodo offers the ring to Galadrial and she imagines using the power righteously, at first, but knows it will eventually corrupt her. As tempting as it is to use the tools available to us to change the outcome, I am confident we must never do that or we will become that which we fear.”

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26075 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mnuchin-seeks-delay-secret-service-spending-disclosure

Huh. He doesn't want the public to know how much money has been blown by this president on golf course travel and children's travel until after the election?! Whatever might have prompted such... circumspection?!

People with knowledge of the talks told the Post that Mnuchin has been reluctant when it comes to Democrats’ demands that the bill mandates the Secret Service to disclose spending related to the President and his adult children’s travels within 120 days after the legislation passes. Although Mnuchin agreed to a requirement that the Secret Service report its travel expenses, he wants said disclosure to begin next year.

Reason enough to push this through.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26076 on: January 08, 2020, 11:54:19 PM »

The New Times  reports that senior Facebook executive Andrew throws cold water on a favorite conspiracy theory of the political left:
Bosworth says :
He didn’t get elected because of Russia or misinformation or Cambridge Analytica. He got elected because he ran the single best digital ad campaign I’ve ever seen from any advertiser.
Period.

The NYT continues
(Cambridge Analytica was a political consulting firm and Trump campaign vendor which was accused of using personal data about Facebook users without their knowledge. The Federal Trade Commission recently settled a case with some of those involved, who agreed to destroy the data they collected and be honest with users in the future about data collection.)
The memo from Facebook’s
Mr. Bosworth continues:
To be clear, I’m no fan of Trump. I donated the max to Hillary. After his election I wrote a post about Trump supporters that I’m told caused colleagues who had supported him to feel unsafe around me (I regret that post and deleted shortly after).
But [Trump campaign digital media chief Brad Parscale ] and Trump just did unbelievable work. They weren’t running misinformation or hoaxes. They weren’t microtargeting or saying different things to different people. They just used the tools we had to show the right creative to each person. The use of custom audiences, video, ecommerce, and fresh creative remains the high water mark of digital ad campaigns in my opinion.

“Creative” is a noun in the marketing world, used to describe the particular advertisements designed to deliver messages. Mr. Bosworth fears that Team Trump is still really good at creating them and therefore he fears that Mr. Trump may win again.

As a committed liberal I find myself desperately wanting to pull any lever at my disposal to avoid the same result. So what stays my hand?,” asks Mr. Bosworth. He writes, “I find myself thinking of the Lord of the Rings at this moment. Specifically when Frodo offers the ring to Galadrial and she imagines using the power righteously, at first, but knows it will eventually corrupt her. As tempting as it is to use the tools available to us to change the outcome, I am confident we must never do that or we will become that which we fear.”

A self-serving piece if ever there were one.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26077 on: January 09, 2020, 12:57:43 AM »

Trump wins at the appeals court level on his $3.6 billion in military funds for his symbolic wall.

And he wins brownie points from me for resisting his urge to "punish" Iran with further military action, so far at least.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26079 on: January 09, 2020, 01:42:57 AM »

Trump wins at the appeals court level on his $3.6 billion in military funds for his symbolic wall.

And he wins brownie points from me for resisting his urge to "punish" Iran with further military action, so far at least.

Some people [said to be Mexican citizens] got stuck atop his new 'you beaut' double layer wall section recently.
They had to be rescued by US border patrol.
The new wall is reducing the number of people entering the US illegally, reportedly...from the same article.

Screwing the Iranian people into the ground with sanctions is a better idea that missiling the place, for the moment.
Let them rise up and attack their leaders.

But, if Iran keeps firing missiles into Iraq, at US/Coalition bases, and into the Green Zone, ETC,... Washington will have no choice but to whack Iran/Iranians good and proper.
In Scottish polite language..."set right about them".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 01:48:25 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26080 on: January 09, 2020, 02:15:45 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/08/794466129/much-of-the-world-doesnt-trust-president-trump-pew-survey-finds?utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&fbclid=IwAR1tLdTn39dzj-UWZ5OwHb5XG0o7kjPLNLNnDx_nUMEQGQxoVTQAYRnoWow

It's better for him than it was 3 years ago...

Trump last among five leaders

The Pew study also sought to gauge respondents' opinions on other world leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping.

#####

Utterly hilarious!

That's HILARIOUS!

Communist China, Russia, Macron [who's seemingly not even popular in his own country, riots everywhere, terrorists behind every 'lamp post'], Merkel who has the luxury of being able to 'do nothing', 'tolerate everyone', and smile sweetly.

Trump might not be perfect, but he's a lot better for the Christian West than that lot.
He can hardly lift his luggage, but they amble along behind with only a light carry bag.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26081 on: January 09, 2020, 03:36:47 AM »

You do like your fucking clowns, Bambu. The more deranged and less competent your blowhards manage to be, the happier you are.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #26082 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:07 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #26083 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »

Yep, where rightwing illiberal gov'ts have been in power.
And don't forget the Phillipines!
Was Russia surveyed?

State security mechanisms likely thwart such surveys in Russia.   Interesting that Brazil was the exception,  among the states with RW nationalist govt. - only 28% viewed Trump favorably.   Bolsonaro seems so very Trumplike.   Maybe he should worry.  Like they can openly register disapproval since it's a foreign leader.   Trump serves as a proxy for their discontent with Bolso.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26084 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:33 AM »

Bosworth says :
Period.

The NYT continues
The memo from Facebook’s
Mr. Bosworth continues:

A self-serving piece if ever there were one.
Really, Red has spent the last three years insisting that the sole reason Clinton lost is because she labelled racists, sexists, homophobes and Islamaphobes "deplorable". Now this?
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1737 1738 [1739] 1740 1741 ... 4288