Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594545 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #26895 on: January 29, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/politics/impeachment-trial-witnesses/index.html

More polling numbers on witnesses for the Senate trial of Donald J. Trump.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #26896 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »

I haven't yet heard how Gaza figures into a Palestinian state or otherwise in the Jared proposal.  But basically, Israel doesn't give a shit about Gaza and Gazans, as long as they can just keep illegally blockading it from land and sea, and keeping it in misery.

And is this still Jared's baby?  There was always talk about Jared working on a major peace plan, Jared being the ME point man, etc. but upon release I didn't hear Jared mentioned.  He's still alive right?

Diddley, the PBS news hour showed a map of the plan - it looks like Gaza is part of the Palestinian state, but will only be connected to the West Bank by some ridiculous tunnel.  (i.e. god forbid they would get an actual land corridor)  Jared was mentioned in that report as still a key designer of this land-grab. 

barton

« Reply #26897 on: January 29, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »

Spot on.  Trump is the Chosen One, indeed!  Question is still - Who did the real choosing?
Very good question, DeeJ, and one I occasionally ask myself. You know that most of the time it isn’t Trump doing the actual choosing, not with his short attention span and his aversion to work and any sort of research or deep attention to detail (Trumppy is the ‘overall’—big picture theorist—“Too many immigrants in this country….etc.”)). His choices for judges have come from some right wing conservative outfit (I forget their name at the moment)....

Federalist Society.  Their agenda is Libertarian. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #26898 on: January 29, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »

nobody really backs the Palestinians anymore.

Not what I'm hearing.

Okay, Qatar actually backs the Palestinians and gives them money. 

Iran uses the Palestinian issue to poke Israel, but I don't think they really care except as it affects Iran's power projection and weakens Israel.  Jordan and Lebanon are certainly interested parties concerned with the outcome, but mostly wanting to get rid of Palestinian refugees in their country and not having more of them come.  Syria probably in the same bag as Iran, but mostly their concern is with the East Bank, that is Golan, and Syria is too distracted/weakened by civil war to be much involved.

My impression is that in the Arab world, the Palestinians have largely been dropped.  It used to be an issue used to galvanize the public, and keep them behind the gov'ts in power.  A distraction from domestic issues.  But now domestic upheaval, demands for less corruption and more opportunity and meritocracy has taken hold.

A chunk of the Left in the USofA support the Palestinians, but the Dem establishment is pretty firmly behind Israel, and the GOP is all-in on Israel.  So I guess their lifeline is basically Qatari money and some minority sympathy in the US.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26899 on: January 29, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/politics/read-white-house-letter-john-bolton/index.html

It's not the White House's letter, but the NSC's letter to Bolton's publisher.

And if anything, it supports having the Senate call him as a witness over just providing copies of his book (which was an asinine idea to start with).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26900 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:11 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/opinions/senate-republicans-bolton-testimony-impeachment-jennings/index.html

Former Mitch McConnell campaign manager explains why Bolton's testimony won't change anything.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26901 on: January 29, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »

I wouldn't have signed up for the "moratorium for 4 years on the expansion of Jewish settlements in the West Bank"...then after that, what, more expansion?
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26902 on: January 29, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »

The "Kobe Bryant" chopper was not equipped with terrain-sensor equipment.

What!
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26903 on: January 29, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »

Donald Trump's impeachment lawyer Alan Dershowitz made a novel and very Trumpian legal argument that the President's personal interest is the national interest when he's up for reelection.

"Novel" is one word for it.

barton

« Reply #26904 on: January 29, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »

Donald Trump's impeachment lawyer Alan Dershowitz made a novel and very Trumpian legal argument that the President's personal interest is the national interest when he's up for reelection.

"Novel" is one word for it.

L'etat, c'est moi. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #26905 on: January 29, 2020, 07:11:47 PM »

It was fascinating watching Dershowitz destroy his legal reputation in a 5-minute defense of Trump.

It was a jaw-dropping rational for breaking any law.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #26906 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »

nobody really backs the Palestinians anymore.

Not what I'm hearing.

Okay, Qatar actually backs the Palestinians and gives them money. 

Iran uses the Palestinian issue to poke Israel, but I don't think they really care except as it affects Iran's power projection and weakens Israel.  Jordan and Lebanon are certainly interested parties concerned with the outcome, but mostly wanting to get rid of Palestinian refugees in their country and not having more of them come.  Syria probably in the same bag as Iran, but mostly their concern is with the East Bank, that is Golan, and Syria is too distracted/weakened by civil war to be much involved.

My impression is that in the Arab world, the Palestinians have largely been dropped.  It used to be an issue used to galvanize the public, and keep them behind the gov'ts in power.  A distraction from domestic issues.  But now domestic upheaval, demands for less corruption and more opportunity and meritocracy has taken hold.

A chunk of the Left in the USofA support the Palestinians, but the Dem establishment is pretty firmly behind Israel, and the GOP is all-in on Israel.  So I guess their lifeline is basically Qatari money and some minority sympathy in the US.
The Arab world never cared about the Palestinians.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26908 on: January 29, 2020, 07:36:07 PM »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #26909 on: January 29, 2020, 07:44:01 PM »

Red got a tax cut.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 4288