Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584103 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27900 on: February 24, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »

Elie Mystal dropped this yesterday.

A brief history of what current "NeverTrump" Republicans have believed in the 21st Century:

2001: They hate us for our freedom
2002: Massive surveillance and racial profiling keeps us safe.
2003: We have to fight them there so we don't fight them here.
2003: Mission Accomplished
2003: Torture is probably okay.
2004: John Kerry wasn't really a Vietnam war hero.
2005: Mid-tranche CDOs are a good thing.
2006: It's okay if the Vice President shoots someone's face off.
2007: The Fed shouldn't do anything to combat the looming recession.
2008: Oh. Shit.
2008: Sarah Palin would make a good Vice President.
2009: Obamacare sucks
2010: If we could harness the Tea Party, we'll be unstoppable.
2011: Occupy Wall Street just wants free stuff.
2012: 47% of Americans are takers
2013: We don't need the voting rights act.
2014: Obama shouldn't wear tan suits
2014: Let's vote to repeal Obamacare 1,500 times.
2015: BENGHAZI!
2015: Jeb!
2015: Donald Trump isn't a serious candidate.
2016: It's okay to steal Supreme Court seats.
2016: Donald Trump can't win the Republican nomination.
2017: Donald Trump will be presidential now.
2018: Oh. Shit.
2019: Democrats should primarily be concerned with making things easy for me, a Republican.
2019: Bernie Sanders can't win the nomination.
2020: Bernie Sanders can't win the general.
There are legitimate concerns about Bernie. But I'll take them from people who haven't spent the last 2 decades being wrong about almost everything.

PS: I did this off the top of my head, so I apologize if I got any of the years wrong or left off your favorite Republican failure
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27901 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/black-womxn-for-warren-holding-candidates-accountable?fbclid=IwAR1kFujDC0qilvzNWQ3ApGKXnEe7ozJ65iksLaX5NIVELgbS47qMLDXlsMY

"At a recent CNN town hall, Warren praised the women of Black Womxn For, calling us “pushy.” She wasn’t wrong — on that Sunday morning call in the midst of a highly competitive race, we pushed her and she listened. It was the first time I’d witnessed a powerful politician and major Democratic presidential candidate admit that she had made a mistake (when called out the first time, not the fifth), then immediately commit to doing differently in the future and lay out what she would do to fix inhumane practices in our criminal justice system.

I’m used to elected officials, even those who espouse progressive or even radical politics, failing at having difficult conversations about issues disproportionately impacting Black communities. I’ve come to expect elected officials to close their doors to concerns brought forth by Black people, especially Black women — only willing to open them after we bang loudly.

While taking responsibility for her actions is not inherently exceptional, Warren’s ability to do so and to grow from the experience is an exception in a political climate where personality is gaining traction over strategy and the ability to get things done.

Our exchange — along with Warren's Working Agenda for Black America, which focuses on making big structural changes in health care, student loan debt, access to free college, housing, and the criminal legal system — assured me that I should put my vote, money, and time toward supporting her candidacy."

Access to free college.

Yay.

Screw competition.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #27902 on: February 24, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »

Why does making college tuition-free (a policy I'm not in favor of) do away with competition? 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27903 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:22 AM »

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/black-womxn-for-warren-holding-candidates-accountable?fbclid=IwAR1kFujDC0qilvzNWQ3ApGKXnEe7ozJ65iksLaX5NIVELgbS47qMLDXlsMY

"At a recent CNN town hall, Warren praised the women of Black Womxn For, calling us “pushy.” She wasn’t wrong — on that Sunday morning call in the midst of a highly competitive race, we pushed her and she listened. It was the first time I’d witnessed a powerful politician and major Democratic presidential candidate admit that she had made a mistake (when called out the first time, not the fifth), then immediately commit to doing differently in the future and lay out what she would do to fix inhumane practices in our criminal justice system.

I’m used to elected officials, even those who espouse progressive or even radical politics, failing at having difficult conversations about issues disproportionately impacting Black communities. I’ve come to expect elected officials to close their doors to concerns brought forth by Black people, especially Black women — only willing to open them after we bang loudly.

While taking responsibility for her actions is not inherently exceptional, Warren’s ability to do so and to grow from the experience is an exception in a political climate where personality is gaining traction over strategy and the ability to get things done.

Our exchange — along with Warren's Working Agenda for Black America, which focuses on making big structural changes in health care, student loan debt, access to free college, housing, and the criminal legal system — assured me that I should put my vote, money, and time toward supporting her candidacy."

Access to free college.

Yay.

Screw competition.

Da fuck do you know about “competition?”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27904 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »

‪Anyone who chooses Trump over Sanders is gonna vote Trump under some other excuse. ‬
‪I think Bernie is a snake oil salesman but he ain’t peddling the poison Trump is selling so, cool. @ewarren? Better!‬

‪Truth? If the Democratic nominee is a hanging fern I’m voting for the plant.‬

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27905 on: February 24, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »

Har-vey!
HAR Vee!*

*Boomer culturalreference!

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27906 on: February 24, 2020, 12:29:24 PM »

Hmmm....

looks like he gets off a bit light.  Sad.

barton

« Reply #27907 on: February 24, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »

Access to free college.

Yay.

Screw competition.

Access to K-12 public schools.  Yay.  Screw competition.

(just testing that logic on the first 12 years of education) 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27908 on: February 24, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »

Access to free college.

Yay.

Screw competition.

Access to medical care.

Yay.

Screw competition.

Access to breathable air.

Yay.

Screw competition.

Hey, this level of "reasoning" can be fun!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27909 on: February 24, 2020, 01:12:01 PM »

I expect snippets of this interview will be played in ads all over America in the next week or two, at least. And during the general election, should Bernie get the nomination:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/politics/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-2020/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3BWIKyIdlzTL31EM1LjpOkq8WY8kgvKy4tvQ7t0Ld04HoMX7Ly1R49TrA

No, he doesn't know how much his programs will cost and no, he doesn't know how we'll pay for them.

Just in case his defense of Fidel Castro wasn't enough...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #27910 on: February 24, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »

The public would rather hear a lie about how much things are going to cost (and who is going to pay that cost), then a realistic answer that the exact amount is impossible to know. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27911 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »

The public would rather hear a lie about how much things are going to cost (and who is going to pay that cost), then a realistic answer that the exact amount is impossible to know.

Ballpark figures would be nice. Even guesses on how it would get paid for, too.

And actually, they would prefer the lie that it won't cost them anything and Mexico and tariffs will pay for it all.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27912 on: February 24, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »

I expect snippets of this interview will be played in ads all over America in the next week or two, at least. And during the general election, should Bernie get the nomination:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/politics/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-2020/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3BWIKyIdlzTL31EM1LjpOkq8WY8kgvKy4tvQ7t0Ld04HoMX7Ly1R49TrA

No, he doesn't know how much his programs will cost and no, he doesn't know how we'll pay for them.

Just in case his defense of Fidel Castro wasn't enough...

Trump: I believe Putin
Media: Harrumph
Trump: Me and Kim, we fell in love!
Media: Meh
Bernie: Castro had a great literacy program...
Media: OH LORD HAVE MERCY HE’S A COMMUNIST!

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27913 on: February 24, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »

Hmmm....

looks like he gets off a bit light.  Sad.

Evidence.

25 years in prison isn't light.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27914 on: February 24, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »

Saw on my tv that part of Bernie's policy list is 'universal healthcare'.
Many will vote for that, I believe.
Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 4288