Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595345 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #28500 on: March 06, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »

It really depends who you are and where you are.  If you are in a somewhat crowded area, it can protect you from others who might have it.  Another benefit is a mask largely restricts you from touching your nose or mouth, blocking a transmission route.
And if you are old or sick, and therefore at risk, it's a wise precaution.

I'd wear a mask and goggles if I were on a cruise ship ...

Btw, I was just on 7 flights in the past 14 days.
Wore a mask on 3 of them -- in and out of China and was requested to by the airline from Cyprus to Athens.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #28501 on: March 06, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »

100 dead Americans

https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/donald-trump-jr-slams-critics-of-the-trump-administrations-response-to-coronavirus

Your answer, Larry?

It’s bullshit.

Now, this hit the U.S. in April of 2009. It wasn't until six months later, in October of 2009, after more than 20,000 Americans were hospitalized, more than 1,000 of our fellow citizens died, only then did President Obama and yes, quid pro quo Joe declared a national emergency -- after 20,000 of our fellow citizens hospitalized, more than 1,000 dead Americans.

This is a fucking lie.

And so easy to factcheck...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-wait-swine-flu-n1h1/

But trolls have no interest in facts. 

oilcan

« Reply #28502 on: March 06, 2020, 09:07:13 PM »

It really depends who you are and where you are.  If you are in a somewhat crowded area, it can protect you from others who might have it.  Another benefit is a mask largely restricts you from touching your nose or mouth, blocking a transmission route.

Wore a mask on 3 of them -- in and out of China and was requested to by the airline from Cyprus to Athens.

I was on a crowded place today and,  just curious, tried to see how long I could go without touching my face.    It was more difficult than I thought it would be - the biggest challenge turned out to be not adjusting my glasses or (the air here is cold dry mountain air) scratching my head.   Being less mystified about things does not,  it turns out,  reduce head scratching.   

7 flights - you just infected the whole planet,  Bo.  JK.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28503 on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »

A little deadly virus never hurt anyone ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28504 on: March 06, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »

So Trump doesn't want folks off the cruise ship because he doesn't want the official US number of cases to go up?
Jeez.

And didn't he only request $2.5B and Congress upped it to $8B?

Seriously, this has been largely a farce.
Wait til the virus really spreads in the US ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28505 on: March 06, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »

100 dead Americans

https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/donald-trump-jr-slams-critics-of-the-trump-administrations-response-to-coronavirus

Your answer, Larry?

"Well, as a matter of fact, Biden, Bloomberg, the entire mob and the media, others said President Trump cut the funding to NIH and CDC.

That is 100 percent false. The exact opposite happened, funding actually went up."

Apples and oranges.

Trump cut the budget in his proposal. That doesn't mean it passed, but Trump did cut the budget. Do you need to see the numbers?
https://www.hhs.gov/about/budget/fy2018/budget-in-brief/cdc/index.html
https://www.cdc.gov/budget/documents/fy2020/fy-2020-detail-table.pdf

But as you can see, the budget from FY2018 to FY2019 did drop, even as the call to drop it further went out:
https://www.cdc.gov/budget/documents/fy2020/cdc-overview-factsheet.pdf

And none of this has anything to do with the loss of the Pandemic Reaction Teams.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28506 on: March 06, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »

The request was in case you HAD the virus.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28507 on: March 07, 2020, 01:04:52 AM »

Dont need it, Fac.

Corona virus is Tump's Katrina

Keep up.

Trump hasn’t handled any aspect of his tired usurpation and looting expedition that you mistakenly call a presidency with either the grace or competence of the Shrub administration during Katrina or its aftermath.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28508 on: March 07, 2020, 05:55:15 AM »

Which is largely ... stupid.
If you have the virus, you should be self-quarantining (or quarantined in hospital if you have serious symptoms).
In your house, you should wear a mask to protect family member/caregivers.
But you definitely shouldn't be out in public, mask or no.

The other problems with that advice:  Many folks will have only mild symptoms and not know they have the virus.  Symptoms are similar to cold and flu.  Test kits aren't readily available yet (a month plus into a pandemic!) so it's hard to know who actually has it or not.  So best if anyone with a cough, or any sickness wear a mask in public. 

Masks are imperfect, but a reasonable precaution and help stop the spread of disease, by largely keeping your germs with you, blocking others germs and reducing the instances of touching your nose and mouth with potentially contaminated hands.

The fricking USofA can't produce enough simple face masks to protect the country and anyone who feels the need to wear one.  That's pathetic.  Again, where was the preparation?  Shanghai, maybe 1000 miles from Wuhan has been on near lockdown for over 5 weeks.  Didn't the Trump Admin make any plans during that time.  Like stockpile and produce more facemasks.  hell, it could be the one bright spot in the economy along with wet wipes and hand sanitizer.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28509 on: March 07, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

Which is largely ... stupid.
If you have the virus, you should be self-quarantining (or quarantined in hospital if you have serious symptoms).
In your house, you should wear a mask to protect family member/caregivers.
But you definitely shouldn't be out in public, mask or no.
Trump thinks people should just work through it. Which is good because with no paid sick leave and bad or no health insurance, they will have to.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28510 on: March 07, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »

Symptoms are similar to cold and flu

Actually, no - there are characteristics which will tell you not to be concerned.

For instance - if no fever - and if you have the usual runny nose, this is not corona virus.

Starts with a sore throat.

barton

« Reply #28511 on: March 07, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »

Given that most covid death is among over-60s,  and that over-60 is Rump's strongest demographic in the electorate,  he should be more worried.   Just saying.   

I live in a 1906 house,  constantly repairing,  so usually have several packages of facemasks on hand.   They do a half-assed job of stopping work dust,  so I guess they would be some help,  but mostly they just stop face-touching, as Bo mentioned.  N95 masks are a bit better.   I use one where there's old paint,  with lead in it and sanding will be involved.     

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28512 on: March 07, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »

Actually, no - there are characteristics which will tell you not to be concerned.
For instance - if no fever - and if you have the usual runny nose, this is not corona virus.  Starts with a sore throat.

I don't think any of that is terribly accurate.

I'll go with an epidemiologist:

The fact that most Covid-19 cases are mild is good news on one level, but it also makes the virus hard to contain. The typical infected person develops mild symptoms that are not readily distinguishable from those of a normal cold or flu, so you can’t tell who has coronavirus unless you do a special test. And those with mild cases will generally remain ambulatory and capable of going about their business — unwittingly spreading infection to friends and colleagues and putting vulnerable populations at risk.

And that is why mask-wearing is a reasonable precaution.
If I lived in NJ I would certainly keep a mask in my coat pocket and probably my car, and have it available in case I got stuck in a crowd, line, near a person who seemed sick (coughing, sniffling, etc).  I'd bet NJ already has undetected cases, but it's just a matter of time until infection hits NJ.  My NJ hometown is around 1/4 East Asian (and another 1/4 Indian).  There's probably a Little Wuhan somewhere tucked away in an NJ suburb ...

Slightly off-topic, I've had often enough where I'm playing basketball and the guy I'm guarding has a cough or is otherwise clearly a bit sick.  I start off telling the guy to cover his mouth when coughing.  And then if the guy doesn't or is clearly sick, now I'll ask another guy on my team to guard him.  I don't bother explain why.  If you run around for an hour or two next to a sick person, your chance of getting his illness is fairly high.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28513 on: March 07, 2020, 11:14:11 AM »

Tell me more, Kid, about how wonderfully well the administration is handling this disease.

I don't need to.  You have the same info I have - you just take your liberties with it.

Okay, Kid... in the unlikely event that you want to be taken seriously, please please tell me what liberties I have taken with:

1) The president misrepresenting how fast the vaccines will be ready.
2) The president misrepresenting the mortality rate.
3) The failure of the government to meet its commitment on distributing tests.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/06/trying-to-make-up-for-lost-time-the-cdc-will-distribute-1-1-million-covid-19-tests-this-weekend/
4) The fact that the United Kingdom has managed to test more people than we have.
5) That the CDC has taken down its tracking of how many people in the US have been tested.
6) That the CDC has removed its state by state numbers of positive results and deaths from the site, including the map that allowed one to mouse over to see the info.

And assuming you don't have any examples of how I have taken liberty with those facts, tell me how they do not support my contention that the government is handling the COVID-19 virus poorly.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28514 on: March 07, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »

For instance - if no fever - and if you have the usual runny nose, this is not corona virus.

Starts with a sore throat.

Which makes it similar to the regular flu.

But also, you can be asymptomatic and be contangious.

But Kid, you oversimplify, regardless. The catch-phrase is "Keep this in mind: if you don’t have a fever, you probably don’t have COVID19."

Probably.
Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 4288