Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2032 2033 [2034] 2035 2036 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1609009 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30495 on: April 01, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »

It didn't have to get to temporary hospitals being set up in Central Park.

Supposition on your part

bodiddley

• View Profile
Having an off-century ...
« Reply #30496 on: April 01, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »

Rather pointless to judge everything off the early days of this crisis.

Days?  Try early months.
What happened to January and February?
Two months to make preparations.
Hell, what happened to March?

The point is there wouldn't be such a crisis if there was adequate preparation, organization, planning, implementation.  Time was known to be crucial.  Time was wasted with offensive and stupid displays of Trumpliness.

Fucking April, and finally the Trump Admin seems like they are starting to take the virus seriously after 200K have been confirmed infected and probably 10K of those will die.  And even then they are talking about halfway or maybe 3/4 measures They're still debating whether masks might be useful for god's sake.  And I guarantee you just one month will not be long enough.

America has really gone down the tubes and is having an off-century.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30497 on: April 01, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »

Supposition on your part

Yeah, NYC was always destined to become the next Wuhan.  Nothing could have stopped that ...

Your head is a suppository on your part.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30498 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »

Sorry folks, I usually don't make angry posts -- but sometimes the situation calls for it. 

I guess I can see why most of you just curse out these folks on the right here and treat them with contempt.  The only real conclusion is they are supremely dishonest, disingenuous and/or horrible people.

It's distressing what America has become.  The politics, the culture, the conspiracy theories and science denial, the senseless violence and resurgent racism.  It's become parodic, farcical.  Extremely unfortunate.  Trump winning the presidency was a massive warning at how confused and hopeless and bad things have become.  There's a lot of work to be done to try to straighten things out.  If it can be done.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:26:26 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30499 on: April 01, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »

Fucking April, and finally the Trump Admin seems like they are starting to take the virus seriously

Pretty sure it was being taken seriously when a task force was assembled and incoming flights were stopped from China, then Europe.

But put your Nancy Pelosi wig on.

"What did President Trump know - and when?'

Nancy was asking - had no answers.

I guess you are saying Trump was getting information in briefings from his people - being advised to act a certain way - and IGNORED IT/declined to do so.

Is this your contention?

"Nancy - we're going to follow Leo for now"

-  Vice President John Hoynes

Come on, man - we are listening - paint the picture.  Dont just flail around aimlessly without specifics. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30500 on: April 01, 2020, 02:35:38 PM »

Pretty sure it was being taken seriously when a task force was assembled and incoming flights were stopped from China, then Europe.
Come on, man - we are listening - paint the picture.  Dont just flail around aimlessly without specifics.

WTF are you talking about?
What fucking universe do you live in?

Trump made one strong useful early move (banning China flights) and then spent a lot of weeks discounting the threat and rolling out failed tests and failed plans, and treating it all as a PR exercise and not a mortal threat.  Outbreaks were not contained.  Limiting measures were not implemented.

The timeline of Trump downplaying the virus and getting nothing done is out there in the record.  Dr. Fauci even called the testing rollout a failure.   Months into this and there's still a shortage of everything needed.

The question is what did Trump do right from January through April?
I can think of two things: the early flight ban and sending the hospital ship to NYC (after things were hugely bad, of course).  Everything else allowed the virus to spread and the US to be #1 in infections and soon deaths.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30501 on: April 01, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »

Rather pointless/useless being on a discussion board with you ...

Early days being defined as Jan 1 through March 29?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30502 on: April 01, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »

Supposition on your part

Not really.

The path of other nations provides a lot of clarity, unless you just flat ignore them.

By the way, the page you posted a link to - on the multi-colored graph - shows exactly what I mean. Look at the US trajectory when compared to every other country that they graphed.

My table also provides some useful input (or going over to worldometer.org, as you prefer). You can sort it by deaths per million or cases per million, if you wish.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30503 on: April 01, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »

Final post:  Stay safe.

Are you leaving us, Deej?

If so, I wish you well. (If not, I still wish you well!)

Thank you for sharing your art with us.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30504 on: April 01, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »

You posted this opinion half a dozen times already.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30505 on: April 01, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »

So do you agree or disagree?

Doesnt matter

As I have stated - looking forward is more beneficial. 
You have posted this opinion half a dozen times aleady.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30506 on: April 01, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »

By the way, the page you posted a link to - on the multi-colored graph - shows exactly what I mean. Look at the US trajectory when compared to every other country that they graphed.

US differs in quite a few ways from other nations.  More international and interstate travelers is the easy one.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30507 on: April 01, 2020, 03:16:16 PM »

Supposition on your part
You have posted this opinion half a dozen times already.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30508 on: April 01, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »

Early days being defined as Jan 1 through March 29?
Pop some Advil and chill!
Your TDS is making you ill.

And while you are at it better check on the Politics and Religion room. I hear Barton is raising a ruckus there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:22:29 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30509 on: April 01, 2020, 03:28:20 PM »

Trump responded by holding up the only early action he has taken, closing borders to China on Jan. 31 — which has nothing to do with social distancing.

It was not until a month and a half later, on March 16, that he declared a national emergency and recommended Americans avoid large groups and stay in their homes.

Trump was basically urging people as recently as three weeks ago to go about their daily lives, just washing their hands more frequently. “Just stay calm. It will go away,” he said March 10, as the number of confirmed cases in the United States was nearing 1,000 and multiplying rapidly.

Jan wasted.
Then 6 weeks of downplaying the virus and doing very little to deal with it.
And another two weeks of half-hearted, half measures, and triage takes us up to April.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/trump-coronavirus-statements/
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2032 2033 [2034] 2035 2036 ... 4288