Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2105 2106 [2107] 2108 2109 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005756 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31590 on: April 14, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »

The  Constitution Does not grant the Executive Branch “ total authority “ to govern the mobility of Americans.

The US Gov't has the power to send me off to war, and if I refuse to send me off to jail.  Yes?  They can multiply that times 1 million, and send 1M Americans off to war.  True?  Is there a legal limit on how many citizens they can force off to war?  Uh, actually no. 

So the Feds indeed have the power to govern the mobility of Americans.
Therefore you're wrong.

I'm not sure what is exactly meant by "total authority" but that seems a canard and just means the power to do something.

The core function of government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people.  So in cases of war and pandemics the government has large and even extraordinary power.  Quarantine powers have always been understood as a power the government has in order to protect the greater society.  And if states have significant quarantine power, then it follows that the US also does in epidemic cases that are not contained within a single state.  For the common welfare.

The courts have given the US Gov't a lot of leeway in terms of war powers and health emergencies. 

Now you or some other assholes might not like how much the Feds have when it comes to epidemics or war, but that doesn't change the equation any.

Federalism is a type of government in which the power is divided between the national government and other governmental units .

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31591 on: April 14, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »

The  Constitution Does not grant the Executive Branch “ total authority “ to govern the mobility of Americans.

The US Gov't has the power to send me off to war, and if I refuse to send me off to jail.  Yes?  They can multiply that times 1 million, and send 1M Americans off to war.  True?  Is there a legal limit on how many citizens they can force off to war?  Uh, actually no. 

So the Feds indeed have the power to govern the mobility of Americans.
Therefore you're wrong.

I'm not sure what is exactly meant by "total authority" but that seems a canard and just means the power to do something.

The core function of government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people.  So in cases of war and pandemics the government has large and even extraordinary power.  Quarantine powers have always been understood as a power the government has in order to protect the greater society.  And if states have significant quarantine power, then it follows that the US also does in epidemic cases that are not contained within a single state.  For the common welfare.

The courts have given the US Gov't a lot of leeway in terms of war powers and health emergencies. 

Now you or some other assholes might not like how much the Feds have when it comes to epidemics or war, but that doesn't change the equation any.
While it's a creative argument, I'm not sure the Constitutional Authority to raise and support armies can be used as justification for a quarantine.
Bingo!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31592 on: April 14, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »

I was using the military/war powers example to discredit the idea the US Gov't doesn't have the power to "govern the mobility of Americans."

Once that is off the table, you move on to emergency health powers, such as quarantines.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31593 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »

I was using the military/war powers example to discredit the idea the US Gov't doesn't have the power to "govern the mobility of Americans."

Once that is off the table, you move on to emergency health powers, such as quarantines.
Well. No.
 But I get that apples and oranges can be confusing.

barton

« Reply #31594 on: April 14, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »

Meanwhile US media refuses to report Positive findings from the most recent French study of over 1000 patients.

Since you aren't posting it, either ... (a) how can any of us evaluate it? (b) why complain about them?

One wonders,  in this lamentable dearth of media coverage, how he came to know of it.   

In fact,  it's been widely reported.   Note that it's an "observational study, " which means that there is no randomized double-blind protocol that could have distinguished the drugs effects from placebo.   But hey,  the mighty Oz reported on it,  so it must mean something  totally bitchin wonderful, man.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:57:40 AM by barton »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31595 on: April 14, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/13/1936927/-Despite-dire-coronavirus-warnings-churches-in-at-least-five-states-still-held-Easter-services?detail=emaildkre

As I said before. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And even if his description of quarantine were correct, when you cannot tell who is carrying the illness and who is not, then quarantine is for those who may have been exposed, not merely those already evidently sick.

These fools need somebody to tell them not only how to be careful, but that they must be careful.

Kid, you are part of the problem.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31596 on: April 14, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

Some whiny-ass rugged individualists ya got there.
Hard to believe your citing this in a positive/supporting manner.

No, it really isn't. Kid is convinced that this should all be over already.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31597 on: April 14, 2020, 10:46:57 AM »

"even though on the morning of the election, local clerks had not even mailed ballots to more than 11,000 people who had requested them on time."

The election in Wisconsin should have been postponed.

Regardless of the results.

The GOP knew if they postponed the election the political environment would not improve their odds. They found out they’re toast.

And made themselves toastier for the next round, I hope!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31598 on: April 14, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31599 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »

I'm looking at results from a Google search with these terms: (french coronavirus clinical trial).

I set it for the last 24 hours, ince you implied that it was news being ignored by the main stream media.

I added hydroxychloroquine to my search.

In neither case could I find what you are talking about.

So, to which "most recent French study of over 1000 patients" do you refer?

https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/09/controversial-french-virologist-claims-chloroquine-breakthrough-for-coronavirus-as-macron-visits/

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31600 on: April 14, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »

Well. No.
 But I get that apples and oranges can be confusing.

It's not that they are confusing, Ward.

It's that talking with you is fruitless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31601 on: April 14, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »

Meanwhile US media refuses to report Positive findings from the most recent French study of over 1000 patients.

Since you aren't posting it, either ... (a) how can any of us evaluate it? (b) why complain about them?

One wonders,  in this lamentable dearth of media coverage, how he came to know of it.   

In fact,  it's been widely reported.   Note that it's an "observational study, " which means that there is no randomized double-blind protocol that could have distinguished the drugs effects from placebo.   But hey,  the mighty Oz reported on it,  so it must mean something  totally bitchin wonderful, man.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

That can't be the one that Kid meant!

His had "over a thousand" sick people involved.

Are you suggesting he exaggerated? Lied? Or simply misremembered.

I think it more likely that he had a different study in mind. Possibly from his own fevered imagination. Possibly published on WND. Maybe even real! We'll never know.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31602 on: April 14, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

To obtain his results, Professor Didier Raoult would have used 59,655 samples from 38,617 patients, tested between March 3 and April 9. 3,165 patients tested positive. Among them, 1,061 patients therefore received Professor Raoult's treatment. Their median age was 43.8 years and 46.4% were men were tested.

Professor Raoult announces a virological cure rate of 91.7% and a mortality rate of 0.5%, or five deaths. Ten of the treated patients were reportedly transferred to intensive care

Sufficient to convince the Head of State? According to Les Echos, Emmanuel Macron decided to make this trip after being disappointed by "the concrete prospects of quickly available treatments against the virus", presented by the research teams of the Kremlin-Bicêtre hospital (Val-de -Marl). Professor Raoult should communicate to him publicly on his study this Thursday evening, in a video.

https://newsrnd.com/life/2020-04-09--coronavirus--didier-raoult-presented-macron-with-a-new-study-on-chloroquine.ByY3HypDL.html

Being reported - just ignored by US media

barton

« Reply #31603 on: April 14, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

Stay your ass home to stop the spread. Standing up for your right to be an asshole in the middle of a fucking plague is great as long is you don’t infringe on my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of not getting infected by some idiot too stupid to save his own ass.

Some people don't grasp that this supposed pillar of American ideological history,  Rugged Individualism, often ignores the reality of the Social Contract:  that what's good for one Rugged Individual may not work so great for the other Rugged Individuals around you.   

The concept of asymptomatic virus shedding seems still not to have penetrated the right-wing skull.   

barton

« Reply #31604 on: April 14, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »

That can't be the one that Kid meant!

His had "over a thousand" sick people involved.

I posted the wrong PDF link in my post.   He is citing an actual study that followed the 80 person one I posted.   As I said,  it's observational, not randomized double-blind.  This obsessive focus on one drug combo has exhausted my interest,  so I'm going to move on.   If it proves genuinely effective, great.   
Pages: 1 ... 2105 2106 [2107] 2108 2109 ... 4288