Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2112 2113 [2114] 2115 2116 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005197 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31695 on: April 14, 2020, 10:27:40 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31696 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:17 PM »

You better be getting that help from your governor. Trump has made the federal response all fucked up because he feeds off the same useless bullshit as Kiid instead of accepting useful information.

This shit is gonna kill a lot of people in rural America because of dumb fucks like kiid and Ward.

Poor Americans are taught not to get medical care, are riddled with preexisting conditions, and local journalism has been absolutely destroyed.
The pandemic is seeping into rural America right now and it's going to devastate communities, most of them through service jobs and retirement homes, and the media isn't going to notice or cover any of it as the narrative turns toward this thing being over.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1250185245565083650.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31697 on: April 14, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31698 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »

An international group of statisticians from CTDS, Northwestern University and the University of Texas have released a paper  investigating the predictive performance of the model developed by Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). The IHME model is is used to predict ventilator use, hospital bed requirements and other resourcing for US states response to COVID-19.

The key findings are:

* Over 70 percent of US states had death rates that were inconsistent with IHME predictions
* Ability of IHME model to make accurate predictions decreases with increasing amount of data
* Improved predictive modelling needed for adequate provision of ventilators, PPE, medical staff at a local level

So much for the experts at IHME.

The result has been quite alarming.

Hospitals relying on IHME predictions have shut down elective surgeries thus denying treatments for a variety of procedures that improve the quality of life.

The shut down has not been necessary because the IMHE corona virus predictions have been wrong.
Writing in the New York Times
Dr. Har­lan Krumholz, a pro­fes­sor of med­i­cine at Yale and di­rec­tor of the Yale New Haven Hos­pi­tal Cen­ter for Out­comes Re­search and Eval­u­a­tion, describes a de­cline in the de­mand for med­ical ser­vices:

We canceled elective procedures, though many of those patients never needed hospitalization. We are now providing care at home through telemedicine, but those services are for stable outpatients, not for those who are acutely ill.
What is striking is that many of the emergencies have disappeared. Heart attack and stroke teams, always poised to rush in and save lives, are mostly idle. This is not just at my hospital. My fellow cardiologists have shared with me that their cardiology consultations have shrunk, except those related to Covid-19. In an informal Twitter poll by @angioplastyorg, an online community of cardiologists, almost half of the respondents reported that they are seeing a 40 percent to 60 percent reduction in admissions for heart attacks; about 20 percent reported more than a 60 percent reduction.

The results are not good for patients who suffer through both painful treatable conditions and potentially life threatening emergencies.

Economically the hospitals are forced to layoff personnel.

So here is the non-med­ical ad­vice from econ­omist Scott Gran­nis who told the Wall Street Journal
Pray for a speedy re-open­ing of the econ­omy. .....,
the shutdown will prove to be the most ex­pen­sive self-in­flicted in­jury in the his­tory of mankind.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:40:17 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31699 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:57 PM »

An international group of statisticians from CTDS, Northwestern University and the University of Texas have released a paper  investigating the predictive performance of the model developed by Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). The IHME model is is used to predict ventilator use, hospital bed requirements and other resourcing for US states response to COVID-19.

I've been having problems with the IHME predictions all the way along, though not all of mine align with theirs.

They've been alternately too soothing and too alarmist.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #31700 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:07 PM »

"So hear is the non-medical advice."

Always the educator...
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31701 on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:41 AM »

Sounds like more failed trump diplomacy. Kiid, you seem to speak for Jared on this board. What do you think?

Funny.
But I'm pretty sure thinking is sold separately.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31702 on: April 15, 2020, 01:18:25 AM »

As for Wuhan and the origin of the virus, it's a lot like a well-plotted mystery/thriller.
You have a wet market where animals are kept live and slaughtered on site for customers including exotica such as pangolins (How about anteater for dinner tonight?  We haven't had anteater in a while.  And I'm tired of eating bats ...).  Then it comes out there are two medical investigative labs a few blocks away, one at a very high international level (but still it's China) and the other with lower level security and checks.   

And of course while the investigation into the source is ongoing the disease takes over Wuhan, 90M people in Hubei Province are locked down, and the disease rolls around the globalized world.

The Chinese Gov't gets secretive early thinking they can handle it, and hide the info for a few crucial weeks.  Even worse for China's image was this all a lab accident and sloppy protocol led to an undetected lab infection and then the spread in the public at large.  China feeling the heat, trial balloons blaming visiting US servicemen to Wuhan.  Maybe the Chinese know how easily this could have resulted from a gov't operation ...  Trump rightly sensing he has a much Bigger Megaphone answers back by calling it the Chinese Virus for a few days.  Effectively shutting down that bit of Chinese blame-shifting.

Slap a picture of Planet Earth as seen from space with coronavirus receptors added on and you have a best-seller.  But who would believe it could really happen.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #31703 on: April 15, 2020, 01:26:59 AM »

While South Korea is the only country with dog meat farms, in America it is still legal to raise and sell dogs for consumption in 44 states.
Feb 13, 2018

#####

About time it was made illegal.

Wonder if the consumption dogs in America are skinned alive and tossed alive into tubs of boiling water "the more tortured the meat the better it tastes" like in the markets in China?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:23:21 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31704 on: April 15, 2020, 01:35:48 AM »

As for myself, I saw some articles about a new flu in Wuhan back in December.  A week or so later there was talk of a new pneumonia, which is how/why they noticed the novel coronavirus (China's preferred nomenclature).  But it was background info and I just didn't get around to reading what was going on, which is too bad as I probably would have peppered my surgeon friends with questions if I had. 

Then as it was becoming a major story/concern in mid-Jan, my computer died during Chinese New Year, circa Jan 27.  Then the holiday was extended an extra week to continue a voluntary lockdown.  So I had a hard time finding computer repair, and when I did circa Feb 12 it took about 5 days before it was ready and working again.  I got my computer back on Feb 17 at night and then flew to Athens Feb 19, with just two days to try to plan my vacation.  Back to Shanghai on March 3.

So I didn't follow the story early and was without a computer or much news for 5 weeks, covering all of FEB.  So I missed a ton of the story in China.  So I probably tuned in when most of you did.  Having been in China during the rapid Hubei spread, and in Shanghai for 3 weeks of lockdown for 3 weeks, and then in Malta when the North Italy outbreak broke out, I was well aware what awaited the US if it didn't act quickly.  March 1 was the right time to stop flights from Europe and start voluntary lockdowns and serious airport screenings, and get testing to major cities.  And recommend face masks for all.

Obviously the slow and botched response in the US led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and suffering and a longer and greater economic shutdown.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31705 on: April 15, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »

Why? Why should cows be legal and not dogs?

Or if you are going to argue intelligence, why squid and not dogs?

But as it happens, it was made illegal in 2018, sometime after your dated reference.

Horse meat, OTOH, is legal, again, after a few years on the forbidden list.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #31706 on: April 15, 2020, 02:11:05 AM »

Why? Why should cows be legal and not dogs?

Or if you are going to argue intelligence, why squid and not dogs?

But as it happens, it was made illegal in 2018, sometime after your dated reference.

Good news.
Dogs are people.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31707 on: April 15, 2020, 02:13:09 AM »

I don't see much difference between killing a dog to eat and killing a chicken or rabbit   or pig or deer.  Or between killing a wolf for its fur or killing a dog to eat.

It all should be stopped.

In the wake of the virus, China has a draft law that would reclassify dogs from livestock to pets, which would stop the killing of dogs for food ... if enacted and enforced.  Hopefully.  A step in the right direction.

China used to be poor and people didn't eat meat so frequently.  One consequence of the China Boom which raised hundreds of millions out of poverty the past few decades is that now these 300M have the financial resources to eat dead animals daily.  Humanity is better off, but another sad chapter opened in the ongoing animal holocaust.

In China, a lot of folks believe in various traditional medicine and biological theories.  Yin-yang balance and cold/hot theories are common.  Dog is considered a "hot" food so is eaten in the Winter to balance out the internal cosmos.  Snake is deemed a cold food and is recommended in the Summer.  In Shanghai, in the Winter there are a few dedicated dog meat restaurants.  In the south, Guangzhou, people even eat cats.  Every few years a group of concerned Shanghai citizens will find and block a truck loaded with Shanghai cats bound for Guangzhou.  Usually after the police arrive and things get noisy, the animal activists will pay some money to have the cats released.  The cat capturing enterprise is fairly shady, and it's hard one way or the other to prove these cats were strays that were rounded up or pets which were illegally snatched. 

Many Chinese believe in the body balance theory of yin-yang; and/or qi gong breathing exercises (said to permit you to fly if practiced assiduously), acupuncture, moxibustion (where you see those glass rim circles of bruising on people's torsos),  tai qi. etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #31708 on: April 15, 2020, 02:14:51 AM »

As for myself, I saw some articles about a new flu in Wuhan back in December.  A week or so later there was talk of a new pneumonia, which is how/why they noticed the novel coronavirus (China's preferred nomenclature).  But it was background info and I just didn't get around to reading what was going on, which is too bad as I probably would have peppered my surgeon friends with questions if I had. 

Then as it was becoming a major story/concern in mid-Jan, my computer died during Chinese New Year, circa Jan 27.  Then the holiday was extended an extra week to continue a voluntary lockdown.  So I had a hard time finding computer repair, and when I did circa Feb 12 it took about 5 days before it was ready and working again.  I got my computer back on Feb 17 at night and then flew to Athens Feb 19, with just two days to try to plan my vacation.  Back to Shanghai on March 3.

So I didn't follow the story early and was without a computer or much news for 5 weeks, covering all of FEB.  So I missed a ton of the story in China.  So I probably tuned in when most of you did.  Having been in China during the rapid Hubei spread, and in Shanghai for 3 weeks of lockdown for 3 weeks, and then in Malta when the North Italy outbreak broke out, I was well aware what awaited the US if it didn't act quickly.  March 1 was the right time to stop flights from Europe and start voluntary lockdowns and serious airport screenings, and get testing to major cities.  And recommend face masks for all.

Obviously the slow and botched response in the US led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and suffering and a longer and greater economic shutdown.

Travel bans?
You know what happened the last time the "King of the world" tried that...total outrage in America from the Left.
"Racist" etc they screamed.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #31709 on: April 15, 2020, 02:22:50 AM »

I don't see much difference between killing a dog to eat and killing a chicken or rabbit   or pig or deer.  Or between killing a wolf for its fur or killing a dog to eat.

It all should be stopped.

In the wake of the virus, China has a draft law that would reclassify dogs from livestock to pets, which would stop the killing of dogs for food ... if enacted and enforced.  Hopefully.  A step in the right direction.

China used to be poor and people didn't eat meat so frequently.  One consequence of the China Boom which raised hundreds of millions out of poverty the past few decades is that now these 300M have the financial resources to eat dead animals daily.  Humanity is better off, but another sad chapter opened in the ongoing animal holocaust.

In China, a lot of folks believe in various traditional medicine and biological theories.  Yin-yang balance and cold/hot theories are common.  Dog is considered a "hot" food so is eaten in the Winter to balance out the internal cosmos.  Snake is deemed a cold food and is recommended in the Summer.  In Shanghai, in the Winter there are a few dedicated dog meat restaurants.  In the south, Guangzhou, people even eat cats.  Every few years a group of concerned Shanghai citizens will find and block a truck loaded with Shanghai cats bound for Guangzhou.  Usually after the police arrive and things get noisy, the animal activists will pay some money to have the cats released.  The cat capturing enterprise is fairly shady, and it's hard one way or the other to prove these cats were strays that were rounded up or pets which were illegally snatched. 

Many Chinese believe in the body balance theory of yin-yang; and/or qi gong breathing exercises (said to permit you to fly if practiced assiduously), acupuncture, moxibustion (where you see those glass rim circles of bruising on people's torsos),  tai qi. etc.

More good news.

The move against China has already started.
Many people have had enough of China.
There's growing talk downunder that the federal govt should reclaim all the dairy farms that 'China' was allowed to own, not just invest in.

Pages: 1 ... 2112 2113 [2114] 2115 2116 ... 4288