Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2006547 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #32160 on: April 21, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »

Six voters and one poll worker in Milwaukee appear to have contracted the coronavirus from participating in the April 7 election, the first such cases following in-person voting that was held despite widespread concern about the public health risks.

The proof being?

That they voted and then got the virus?

That's strong.

heh

Now you want proof?

There was no proof for that French study you keep talking about.

Guess what paper has still not been submitted to a journal!

Proof to you is only what you choose to believe, same as everybody - you just have a narrower standard than most.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #32161 on: April 21, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »

Of the people, by the people, for the people...

A lady, Darlene, who my dearly departed Uncle Dennis and my late buddy Tom used to do charity work with, she went to Washington DC and she got money to help the homeless mentally ill people, she opened the Mental Health Association in Santa Ana, and she bought some houses, and she went to work helping the homeless mentally ill people.

Plus, they raised money for a group called "Canning Hunger" to feed the hungry people, they sold beer and hot dogs and stuff at Angel Stadium, and at the Rose Bowl, etc, to raise money to feed the hungry people, and Darlene was in charge of all of that.

Washington DC can be great to help people, it is WE THE PEOPLE, and we can help ourselves. We can help the homeless, and we can feed the hungry, and we can fix things to bring jobs back to the USA, etc. And local government, such as the City of Anaheim can also help people, etc.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, is the best, if we use it in good ways.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #32162 on: April 21, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »

In NJ, almost exactly half the people tested have been positive.
I'm sure most get tested because they have symptoms and meet the criteria to be allowed to get tested.  But NJ has the highest positive rate by far so far.
So what?  Without a vaccine the only other path out of this pandemic is herd immunity.
The more positive cases we find and quarantine the closer we come to that.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32163 on: April 21, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »

I'm sure most get tested because they have symptoms and meet the criteria to be allowed to get tested.  But NJ has the highest positive rate by far so far.
So what?  Without a vaccine the only other path out of this pandemic is herd immunity.

Our finding them has nothing to do with herd immunity.

And quarantining doesn't increase herd immunity, either.

the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.

Given that you've excluded (with good reason) vaccination, the only thing that builds herd immunity is if people get COVID-19 and are, themselves, resistant to getting it a second time.

Very early reports suggest that roughly 2.4% of folks who had it in a specific population have gotten it again, to the best of their ability to tell.

But with a 1-4% death rate, having a huge percentage of our population getting the virus is not a good idea! And if it is a higher rate than that (which we have reason to fear based on the worldwide recovery vs. death ratio), that approach would be a disaster.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32164 on: April 21, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/investigations/massachusetts-ramps-up-contact-tracing-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus/2111035/

Contact tracing is vital for returning to any semblance of businesses opening up again.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #32165 on: April 21, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »

Our finding them has nothing to do with herd immunity.

And quarantining doesn't increase herd immunity, either.
Of course it does.
the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.

Given that you've excluded (with good reason) vaccination,
I didn’t.

the only thing that builds herd immunity is if people get COVID-19 and are, themselves, resistant to getting it a second time.
Herb immunity works two ways. If I test positive and recover through quarantine(or hospitalization)
I won’t get it again and I won’t give it to anyone else.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32166 on: April 21, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »

Six voters and one poll worker in Milwaukee appear to have contracted the coronavirus from participating in the April 7 election, the first such cases following in-person voting that was held despite widespread concern about the public health risks.

The proof being?

That's strong.

heh

Now you want proof?

Proof to you is only what you choose to believe, same as everybody - you just have a narrower standard than most.

what?

You'r e reasoning on a 3rd grade level.

You want "proof" that the doctor conducted the study?

Are you fucking daft?

Meanwhile proof that the virus was contracted during voting - a bit more of a puzzle.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32167 on: April 21, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/investigations/massachusetts-ramps-up-contact-tracing-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus/2111035/

Contact tracing is vital for returning to any semblance of businesses opening up again.

Ideally - sure.

But businesses will be opening sooner nonetheless.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #32168 on: April 21, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

On the issue of the rise in domestic abuse during this crisis...

One good way to stop abuse for those who are on housing assistance is to tell them that they will lose their housing assistance because of domestic violence, if they have a problem then they need to get help, or lose their housing. And also, many apartment complexes will evict people for domestic violence. My former apartment manager, Esperanza, used to evict all of the wife beaters.

Then also, you have to deal with homeless women and children when you remove them from a bad environment, so we need programs to help and house the homeless women and children.

And there is a moving company named "Meat Head" movers which will help to move women and children out of bad situations, and there needs to be more companies like that.

Frank Sinatra did a lot to help abused women when he was alive.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32169 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »

Still flogging that dead horse? That drug is looking less and less like the magic cure you crave - not for COVID, where the potential benefit needs further study - but for Trump's reelection, which is what you, and he, really care about.

How many took the drug and recovered?

Of that number, how many would have recovered anyway?

You just don't know

I just reminded the board of the French study - which asshat moderator refuses to acknowledge
Dead horse beaten once again. Your continual flogging of an unsubstantiated study is bordering comic. Everyone, josh included, have acknowledged the French study. With all of the faults. The drug needs further study.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #32170 on: April 21, 2020, 05:27:23 PM »

That is why we need robust and nationally consistent testing and contact tracing. Which is what the administration is ducking.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #32171 on: April 21, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »

The proof being?

That's strong.

heh

Now you want proof?

what?

You'r e reasoning on a 3rd grade level.

That is an idiotic deliberate misreading,  even for you.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32172 on: April 21, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »

Dead horse beaten once again. Your continual flogging of an unsubstantiated study is bordering comic. Everyone, josh included, have acknowledged the French study. With all of the faults. The drug needs further study.

So you refute the numbers from that study?

Or do you think it was just random that such a high number recovered?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32173 on: April 21, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »

Josh is still on the rag since I very early on touted the effective use of antivirals (this before I ever heard of hydrochloroquine) prior to a vaccine being discovered - and at the time - likely due to his naysaying everything - he did so on anti-virals

Not his best moment but forgivable - but this moderator just cannot let go - he naysays the drug ad nauseum even as it helps his neighbors recover more easily from this beast - and even when it saves a relative's life.

Josh is just being Josh.  Let's all move on now.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32174 on: April 21, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »

Are you fucking daft?

Meanwhile proof that the virus was contracted during voting - a bit more of a puzzle.

As I said, Kid. You believe only what you want to believe. People have been making false studies for longer than you've been alive. And when they create bogus-looking reports like the one he put out as a pre-release and then don't follow up with the real paper, it looks very suspicious.

But let's get beyond him, to see if my "3rd grade" reasoning skills can get through to your pre-school mentality:

http://retractiondatabase.org/ --> more than 18,000 retracted papers. Some because of mistakes, some because of fraud.

One example is discussed below. It too twelve years for this bogus "research" to be retracted and not until it had done untold damage. But while it is perhaps the most prominent case in the last couple decades, we've had Nobel Prize winners implicated in bogus research efforts, too. So, when I call into question his claimed research, it is not quite the bizarre circumstance you make it out to be. Nor is it the first time I have questioned research, let alone unpublished research.

From the Indian Journal of Psychiatry:
In 1998, Andrew Wakefield and 12 of his colleagues[1] published a case series in the Lancet, which suggested that the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine may predispose to behavioral regression and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Despite the small sample size (n=12), the uncontrolled design, and the speculative nature of the conclusions, the paper received wide publicity, and MMR vaccination rates began to drop because parents were concerned about the risk of autism after vaccination.

Almost immediately afterward, epidemiological studies were conducted and published, refuting the posited link between MMR vaccination and autism.[3,4] The logic that the MMR vaccine may trigger autism was also questioned because a temporal link between the two is almost predestined: both events, by design (MMR vaccine) or definition (autism), occur in early childhood.

The next episode in the saga was a short retraction of the interpretation of the original data by 10 of the 12 co-authors of the paper. According to the retraction, “no causal link was established between MMR vaccine and autism as the data were insufficient”.[5] This was accompanied by an admission by the Lancet that Wakefield et al.[1] had failed to disclose financial interests (e.g., Wakefield had been funded by lawyers who had been engaged by parents in lawsuits against vaccine-producing companies). However, the Lancet exonerated Wakefield and his colleagues from charges of ethical violations and scientific misconduct.[6]

The Lancet completely retracted the Wakefield et al.[1] paper in February 2010, admitting that several elements in the paper were incorrect, contrary to the findings of the earlier investigation.[7] Wakefield et al.[1] were held guilty of ethical violations (they had conducted invasive investigations on the children without obtaining the necessary ethical clearances) and scientific misrepresentation (they reported that their sampling was consecutive when, in fact, it was selective). This retraction was published as a small, anonymous paragraph in the journal, on behalf of the editors.[8]

The final episode in the saga is the revelation that Wakefield et al.[1] were guilty of deliberate fraud (they picked and chose data that suited their case; they falsified facts).[9] The British Medical Journal has published a series of articles on the exposure of the fraud, which appears to have taken place for financial gain.[10–13] It is a matter of concern that the exposé was a result of journalistic investigation, rather than academic vigilance followed by the institution of corrective measures. Readers may be interested to learn that the journalist on the Wakefield case, Brian Deer, had earlier reported on the false implication of thiomersal (in vaccines) in the etiology of autism.[14] However, Deer had not played an investigative role in that report.[14]

Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 4288