Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011217 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33300 on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »

Go up to the roof and tell me what you see.   That line and also "the dosimeter had no reading....because it burned out as soon as it was turned on" are two of the most chilling lines in all of TV drama.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33301 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/miami-beach-south-pointe-park-close-trnd/index.html

8,000 estimated to break face mask and distance rules. Beach is closed.

Hey, nobody could have predicted that, either!

Fools, the bunch of them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #33302 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »

25,000 deaths in NYC
29 in Shanghai

Thoughts?

Many,  but they won't be the pithy soundbites that work on message boards.   So,  attempt to nutshell: 

Data quality is uncertain, just as it is here, on morbidity.  What Whiskey said about authoritarian regimes and admission of error.

Multiple strains of coronavirus  may have been endemic in China for millennia, so low death rates may partially reflect much greater general immunity even to a novel strain.

Totalitarian society does have its pluses.   Getting full cooperation on strict rules of conduct and travel is one of them.

Spanish Flu death rates were also extremely low in China,  in 1918-1919. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33303 on: May 04, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-05-04-20/h_400f0032f7acc01d07cbaac626879331

The WH is now restricting all coronavirus panelists' testimony at congressional (read: House) hearings.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33304 on: May 04, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »

Former first lady Michelle Obama says in her upcoming Netflix documentary Becoming that it was a “slap in the face’’ that black Americans failed to show up to vote in the 2016 presidential election, according to the New York Post.

“It takes some energy to go high, and we were exhausted from it … when you’re the first black anything,’’ Obama said, referring to her and her husband, former President Barack Obama, of their failed efforts to help elect Hillary Clinton. You know, the day I left the White House, it was painful to sit on that stage, and then a lot of our folks didn’t vote — it was almost a slap in the face,” the former first lady added.
“It wasn’t just in this election, but every midterm, every time Barack didn’t get the Congress he needed, that was because our folks didn’t show up,” she said during another point in the film. After all that work, they just couldn’t be bothered to vote at all. That’s my trauma.

Look, it's Ward pretending to care about Blacks!
Interesting reaction.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33305 on: May 04, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »

Go up to the roof and tell me what you see.   That line and also "the dosimeter had no reading....because it burned out as soon as it was turned on" are two of the most chilling lines in all of TV drama.
I was thinking of the scene where they get a rover from the Germans (they would never conceive of asking US) and it immediately fried because even though it was vitally, critically important to push the graphite into the reactor, they could not admit they were lying about the radiation levels.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33306 on: May 04, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-05-04-20/h_400f0032f7acc01d07cbaac626879331

The WH is now restricting all coronavirus panelists' testimony at congressional (read: House) hearings.
On the bright side, if the Repos hold on the the Senate, President Biden can tell the Senate investigation committees to go fuck themselves and Red and kiid will be just fine with that.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33307 on: May 04, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »

“People aren’t out protesting to be waitresses and hairdressers again. People are out demanding that their waitresses and hairdressers go back to work. "

I dont think this is true at all.

Of course not...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33308 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »

Former first lady Michelle Obama says in her upcoming Netflix documentary Becoming that it was a “slap in the face’’ that black Americans failed to show up to vote in the 2016 presidential election, according to the New York Post.

“It takes some energy to go high, and we were exhausted from it … when you’re the first black anything,’’ Obama said, referring to her and her husband, former President Barack Obama, of their failed efforts to help elect Hillary Clinton. You know, the day I left the White House, it was painful to sit on that stage, and then a lot of our folks didn’t vote — it was almost a slap in the face,” the former first lady added.
“It wasn’t just in this election, but every midterm, every time Barack didn’t get the Congress he needed, that was because our folks didn’t show up,” she said during another point in the film. After all that work, they just couldn’t be bothered to vote at all. That’s my trauma.

Interesting reaction.

We’re 13% of the population yet we’re expected to save white people from themselves time and again.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33309 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »

Interesting reaction.

We’re 13% of the population yet we’re expected to save white people from themselves time and again.
Then kudos to blacks for shunning Hillary.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33310 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

Interesting reaction.

Then kudos to blacks for shunning Hillary.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33311 on: May 04, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »

Jeopardy! showing Ken Jennings’ first game. Fifty five games letter I played against him and I’m proud to say he didn’t crack 30K and only beat me by about 20,000 points.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:00:34 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33312 on: May 04, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »

Revealing again the disparity in overall healthcare, both treatment and preventive medicine and nutritional, in this country.     

hmm...

A lot to unwind there...

Another area you have been in denial about for years - the racism in our healthcare system.

Just saying it doesn't show you understand it

Educate me.

Again?! How many charts do I have to post for you, Kid?!

Doctors are racist. Nurses are racist. Administrators are racist. Insurance companies are racist.

This is not a controversial notion except to folks like you:
https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/institutional-racism.html

This will highly the disparaties in race and ethnicity in healthcare as of 5 years ago:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus15.pdf

Blacks - both men and women, face greater incidence of chronic illness, infection, and injury. These, along with other factors, contribute to lifespans running roughly 6 years shorter.

the mortality rate for babies born to black mothers with a master's or doctorate degree is far worse than the mortality rate for babies born to white mothers with less than an eighth-grade education. And black women are far less likely to have breast cancer, yet are 40% more likely to die from it.

These are not SES related.

Today, a black woman is 22% more likely to die from heart disease than a white woman. A black woman is 71% more likely to die from cervical cancer than a white woman. A black woman is 243% more likely to die from pregnancy or childbirth-related causes than a white woman.

Even after controlling for age, gender, marital status, region of residence, employment status, and insurance coverage, African Americans have worse health outcomes than whites in nearly every illness category.

Those are stats

Now give me correlation

Why?

Just crying racism doesn't cut it.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33313 on: May 04, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »

Those are stats

Now give me correlation
Oblivious.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33314 on: May 04, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »

Revealing again the disparity in overall healthcare, both treatment and preventive medicine and nutritional, in this country.     

hmm...

A lot to unwind there...

Another area you have been in denial about for years - the racism in our healthcare system.

Just saying it doesn't show you understand it

Educate me.

Again?! How many charts do I have to post for you, Kid?!

Doctors are racist. Nurses are racist. Administrators are racist. Insurance companies are racist.

This is not a controversial notion except to folks like you:
https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/institutional-racism.html

This will highly the disparaties in race and ethnicity in healthcare as of 5 years ago:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus15.pdf

Blacks - both men and women, face greater incidence of chronic illness, infection, and injury. These, along with other factors, contribute to lifespans running roughly 6 years shorter.

the mortality rate for babies born to black mothers with a master's or doctorate degree is far worse than the mortality rate for babies born to white mothers with less than an eighth-grade education. And black women are far less likely to have breast cancer, yet are 40% more likely to die from it.

These are not SES related.

Today, a black woman is 22% more likely to die from heart disease than a white woman. A black woman is 71% more likely to die from cervical cancer than a white woman. A black woman is 243% more likely to die from pregnancy or childbirth-related causes than a white woman.

Even after controlling for age, gender, marital status, region of residence, employment status, and insurance coverage, African Americans have worse health outcomes than whites in nearly every illness category.

Those are stats

Now give me correlation

Why?

Just crying racism doesn't cut it.

Casting pearls before swine...

Shoveling shit against the tide...

Imitating Sisyphus....

That’s the equivalent of telling you anything.

You’ve had twenty years to learn something and you’re still a scmeckle.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 4288