Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011128 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33390 on: May 05, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »

Biden has lots of good options.

Warren would help unite the party with the progressives and mollify the Bernie supporters.  She's also tough, competent and has a national profile, so would campaign well, help turnout, help raise money.  Be able to step in if Joe can't make it 4 years.  Negatives: old, and REP Guv of MASS would appoint a temporary senator. Liz is good anywhere, but probably best as a Senate leader.

Kamala:  Young, tough, some national presence, would help turn out minorities.  Hopefully women too.  Negatives: from CA, not that big a national profile.  Might help with CA fundraising.

Klobuchar, Whitmer, the Tammys -- white midwesterners* from the key region.  Whitmer has looked strong and competent and willing to tangle with Trump.
MINN, WIS, ILL.  Klobuchar and Baldwin seem a bit bland and overly moderate to me.  (female Tim Kaine's).  And a moderate Dem is basically a Rockefeller Repub of yore.  *Duckworth with the most compelling personal story, but ILL is only close to the action but not a battleground state.  And it might take some balls/idiocy to select an Asian during the rampant China bashing.

As for picking a female pol from the Midwest, I'd probably go with Whitmer or Klobuchar since they have the national profile and have been in the fray recently.
But really I don't know much about any of them.

Anyway, those are the 3 potential paths Biden can go down.  A progressive, a young black woman, a moderate white midwesterner (or Duckworth).  I'd guess that since Biden committed himself to a woman, he'll probably go the safe moderate regional route.  With Kamala having an outside chance.  I'd be very surprised if he went with Liz.  I think Biden will take the traditional approach of trying to win a region or state with his Veep.
There are other possibilities, most notably Stacy Abrams and Michelle Grisham.  I doubt Abrams, because I think being able to step in right away is likely to be a concern for voters looking at Biden and she is light on experience. Grisham had a couple of terms in the House before becoming Governor. I suppose being a Latina is her best political asset.

I had been doubtful of Whitmer until Red started attacking her. That meant the right wing hacks who Red gets all of his opinions and most of his words from fear her.
A parrot bit me.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33391 on: May 05, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »

Not at all.
It got a lot of press coverage and intrigue into who he will pick.
And he was planning to pick a female anyway. 
It's not like he was going to pick Bernie or Booker.
I think it might be the only savvy public thing Biden has done so far.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33392 on: May 05, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

I think the only thing holding Whitmer back is that her name almost rhymes with Hitler she has only been a governor for a short time.  Not much experience.

Yeah, there are others out there.  Abrams seems like the wrong choice for a number of reasons.  Gillibrand seems like a bright young prospect, but got nowhere in the DEM primaries.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33393 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

Me, I succumbed to that Klobucharisma long ago.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33394 on: May 05, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

Susan Rice should probably be considered.  I think the draw is deeper than you paint it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33395 on: May 05, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »

Biden has lots of good options.

Warren would help unite the party with the progressives and mollify the Bernie supporters.  She's also tough, competent and has a national profile, so would campaign well, help turnout, help raise money.  Be able to step in if Joe can't make it 4 years.  Negatives: old, and REP Guv of MASS would appoint a temporary senator. Liz is good anywhere, but probably best as a Senate leader.

Kamala:  Young, tough, some national presence, would help turn out minorities.  Hopefully women too.  Negatives: from CA, not that big a national profile.  Might help with CA fundraising.

Klobuchar, Whitmer, the Tammys -- white midwesterners* from the key region.  Whitmer has looked strong and competent and willing to tangle with Trump.
MINN, WIS, ILL.  Klobuchar and Baldwin seem a bit bland and overly moderate to me.  (female Tim Kaine's).  And a moderate Dem is basically a Rockefeller Repub of yore.  *Duckworth with the most compelling personal story, but ILL is only close to the action but not a battleground state.  And it might take some balls/idiocy to select an Asian during the rampant China bashing.

As for picking a female pol from the Midwest, I'd probably go with Whitmer or Klobuchar since they have the national profile and have been in the fray recently.
But really I don't know much about any of them.

Anyway, those are the 3 potential paths Biden can go down.  A progressive, a young black woman, a moderate white midwesterner (or Duckworth).  I'd guess that since Biden committed himself to a woman, he'll probably go the safe moderate regional route.  With Kamala having an outside chance.  I'd be very surprised if he went with Liz.  I think Biden will take the traditional approach of trying to win a region or state with his Veep.

Traditional politics is out the fucking window!

No retail campaigning.
No big rallies, no pressing the flesh, no door knocking (would you open the door to talk to a volunteer canvasser today? Not me!

Organizing lit drops and meet and greets paid my bills for a long no time and in this pandemic you’re gonna have to reach the voters you need through social median and virtual networks.

Don’t forget WHY BIDEN IS THE NOMINEE!

Midwesterners ain’t gonna push the GOP in the South and the South is vulnerable.
Look at the gubernatorial races in Florida and Georgia and how the GOP had to blatantly cheat to win.

Conventional wisdom is always fighting the previous battle/war/election.
Conventional wisdom is why the GOP is frantically trying to reopen the country (and they don’t care how many poor, black and brown people they kill to do it) on the hope they can kickstart the third quarter economy.

Meanwhile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yG_-K2MDo&feature=youtu.be

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33396 on: May 05, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »

Susan Rice should probably be considered.  I think the draw is deeper than you paint it.

Yeah, the Benghazi crew would love that.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33397 on: May 05, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »

You heard kiid ... just add 4.5
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #33398 on: May 05, 2020, 11:43:48 AM »

I find Grisham impressive,  despite my inability to form flattering portmanteau words out of her name.   I'm not grishamed of that.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33399 on: May 05, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

Don’t forget WHY BIDEN IS THE NOMINEE!

To carry Delaware?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33400 on: May 05, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »

Enter REDSTATEWARD:  I want to talk about Hillary Clinton!!!
It was Michelle Obama who accused blacks of staying home in 2016, not me.
Kind of an interesting take from the former First Lady (2 term) since you and Knicks never stop blaming the GOP for suppressing  the black vote but never can find any supporting evidence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33401 on: May 05, 2020, 12:06:03 PM »

no supporting evidence.

fuck, you can start with massive incarceration and taking away voting rights of prisoners; move on to reducing polling places in black areas; requiring hoops to jump through such as picture ID; pruning voter lists intended to shake off poor people who tend to move more, etc.

I'm sure there's more, but spending 1 minute was enough time on your nonsense.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33403 on: May 05, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/politics/donald-trump-congress-oversight/index.html

So much for "rule of law" and "checks and balances."

President Trump has declared that only the GOP is allowed to (pretend to) have oversight of him and his administration.

Imagine if Obama had done that or if Biden does it, how loudly the GOP would have/would howl.

They want what they want and screw the rest of us.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33404 on: May 05, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »

I find Grisham impressive,  despite my inability to form flattering portmanteau words out of her name.   I'm not grishamed of that.
Oh, she is, Lujands down, one of my favorites.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 4288