Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2351 2352 [2353] 2354 2355 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005635 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35281 on: May 27, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

FAC - thanks for True Dreams of Wichita.   I imagine Alan Ginsberg would have liked it.   I need to reread Wichita Vortex Sutra again,  then listen to TDoW...

And you’ve given me something to read so fair exchange.

Here one more Wichita, a cover of a cover possibly even a standard at this point if such things still exist, performed by Casandra Wilson

http://youtu.be/4sC_60O5yQ0 couldn’t find a live one, but her voice does it all for me anyway.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35282 on: May 27, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »

The trumps have not gone unnoticed in American music. Even the oldies they inspired are being kept alive.

http://youtu.be/jANuVKeYezs

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35283 on: May 27, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »

In places where it’s legal to parade around with a holstered and secured firearm, you will still get in very serious trouble for jogging down the street with the safety off and your finger on the trigger. Even in the most firearm fetishizing circles, this is universal even though whether or not it’s holstered has very little impact on public safety if there aren’t any bullets in the gun.

Not true

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35284 on: May 27, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »

We should have our Constitutional Scholar fire off a letter to the President explaining the First Amendment.

Funny how conservatives have been strangely silent re: our God-given first amendment rights in the face of our government threatening to shut down all social media platforms because one private company has decided to enforce its user rules.

Where have those Free Speech defenders gone? 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35285 on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:32 PM »

Are you certain that all those people have died from coronavirus as opposed to with coronavirus? As I’m sure you know, American hospitals get paid around $30,000 by the federal government for each patient they lose to the virus, which must result in some fatalities being ascribed to COVID-19 when the real cause of death is something else. And it’s worth bearing in mind that the average age of COVID fatalities is 80 and an estimated 90 percent have co-morbidities.

All true, Bo?  Or do you just do China?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35286 on: May 27, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »

In places where it’s legal to parade around with a holstered and secured firearm, you will still get in very serious trouble for jogging down the street with the safety off and your finger on the trigger. Even in the most firearm fetishizing circles, this is universal even though whether or not it’s holstered has very little impact on public safety if there aren’t any bullets in the gun.

Not true

What do you mean it’s not true? You can’t hurt me if you don’t have any bullets.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35287 on: May 27, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35288 on: May 27, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »

Not true

You and Sam Alito, huh?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35289 on: May 27, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »

Unlike Andrew Cuomo, Ron DeSantis did not sanction discharging COVID patients back into care homes without testing them first to make sure they were negative. That practice has been widespread and the blame partly lies with epidemiologists touting apocalyptic computer models showing healthcare systems being overwhelmed. To give just one example, the shonky computer model cooked up by Professor Neil Ferguson and his team at Imperial College predicted that demand for critical care in Sweden would exceed supply fortyfold if the country didn’t shut down. As you know, Sweden never locked up its citizens and the healthcare system still hasn’t been overwhelmed.

Thanks for the link

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35290 on: May 27, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »

Are you certain that all those people have died from coronavirus as opposed to with coronavirus? As I’m sure you know, American hospitals get paid around $30,000 by the federal government for each patient they lose to the virus, which must result in some fatalities being ascribed to COVID-19 when the real cause of death is something else. And it’s worth bearing in mind that the average age of COVID fatalities is 80 and an estimated 90 percent have co-morbidities.

Please include some link or otherwise indicate the source of the quote please.

There has been posted here before (I know because I posted it) a comparison between typical deaths for this time of year in the past compared to what we are seeing now, and that study (and many, many like it) indicated that COVID deaths are being undercounted in this country, not overcounted. 

As is the general consensus of anyone who knows what they are talking about, and not pushing false information that is politically convenient for Donald Trump.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #35291 on: May 27, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »

The trumps have not gone unnoticed in American music. Even the oldies they inspired are being kept alive.

http://youtu.be/jANuVKeYezs

Wow.   Passing that one along.   

Wichita Lineman is a true classic - covered by everyone from Ray Charles to The Troggs. 
I remember it hit the charts around the time we moved away,  with the Glen Campbell cover. 

Shawn Colvin "Wichita Skyline" is also worth a listen.   That woman's voice is like sipping a whisky that confers an instant boner.   Well,  of course,  YMMV. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35292 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »

As the other participant in the debate points out, hypertension and obesity are comorbidity factors and that covers nearly half of Americans.  So just saying they were old and sick and gonna die soon doesn't cut it.  It'd be interesting to know what % of coronavirus patients over 70 who died were in good or stable shape and how many were frail/sickly.

I don't know if 80 is the average age.  I thought it was in the 70's.  He might be right on that, but a lot of his other "facts" aren't right.  I will say that the US does have very good hospitals and doctors and medical technology, which has probably kept many young infected patients form dying.  Maybe some of the experimental drugs have helped too (though hydroxychloraquine likely not).

I don't know about the gov't payments.  I thought the USG was covering up to $30K for COVID patients who didn't have insurance, and just covering co-pays for the rest.  But admittedly I haven't followed the US insurance structure for the disease much.  If he's right, the US is bailing out insurance companies at a hefty price.  Is the US actually giving hospitals $30K per CV-19 death or just paying up to that amount if they had expensive treatment/long hospital stay?

In any case, the early belief was that many folks weren't able to get tested, were dying at home or in nursing homes, and CV-19 deaths was therefore being undereported.   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:06:21 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35293 on: May 27, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »

Half of Americans are unsure they would take a COVID-19 vaccine.

Congratulations, GOP, Robert Kennedy Jr., Rush Limbaugh, and Andrew Wakefield, along with a variety of other know-nothing celebrities. I hope you are very very proud.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #35294 on: May 27, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »

I liked the moments of wit and humor from both Matt and Toby,  in the Spectator debate,  and I think both had reasonable points regarding the sloppiness of statistics at this stage of the pandemic.   I did find Tony's theory of falsified death certificates (likely this is a serious felony,  and therefore a serious allegation) to garner a government check for the hospital, both specious (evidence?) and quite the insult to the medical professionals who work themselves to exhaustion keeping people alive.   I've seen evidence, from various medical experts,  that the death certificate problem goes in the opposite direction and have posted links here on the matter.  As Bo notes,  many deaths were of untested persons  and logged as pneumonia, heart failure,  kidney failure,  and so on.   This is why,  and this cannot be stressed too strongly, that a different method of statistical capture is needed,  like excess deaths.   

Finally,  Toby rests a lot of his theory (one rejected by epidemiologists) on the notion that lockdowns have no measurable effect,  as if epidemiologists are sorely in need of a parallel universe with no lockdowns or else they have no method of statistical analysis or modeling.   This is not really how epidemiology works,  and Toby should devote more study to how it actually does.   

My own reading is that lockdowns aren't necessary in locations where everyone agrees on honoring social distancing and mutual masking and universal testing and contact tracing is implemented.   What's sad is that we need lockdowns because our culture is so divided and so many distrust scientific common sense that any first year nursing student can grasp.   If we really protected the old and diabetic and medically fragile,  made sure they were placed out of harms way, then sure,  certain forms of recreation and commerce would be far more safely achieved. 

Pages: 1 ... 2351 2352 [2353] 2354 2355 ... 4288