Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997607 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36990 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »

I think it's readily apparent to anyone thinking objectively and unbiased that both news sides are propaganda.

Cap, both "sides" may be propaganda, but only one side distorts things so much that its watchers cannot identify what is going on.

Do you attribute that to the watchers, not the producers?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36991 on: June 06, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »

https://cookpolitical.com/index.php/analysis/national/national-politics/how-do-we-know-we-are-tipping-point

Back in 2014, when Ferguson, Missouri erupted in violence over the killing of an unarmed black teenager by a white officer, just 33 percent of Americans agreed that police officers are more likely to use excessive force on African-Americans, according to polling by Monmouth University. In 2016, with the rise of Black Lives Matter and more attention to cases of unarmed African-Americans being killed by police officers, a majority of Americans (52 percent), still did not agree that the police are more likely to use excessive force in dealing with black suspects than white ones. 

This week, however, the Monmouth poll found that 57 percent of Americans agreeing that police officers are more likely to use excessive force on blacks. The big reason for that jump in support — not surprisingly — is that more whites believe this to be true. In 2016, just a quarter of white Americans thought the police were more likely to use deadly force on blacks. That number almost doubled (49 percent) in the June 2020 poll. A CBS poll out this week showed similar results: 

"A majority — 57% — now think the police are more likely to use deadly force against a black person than a white person, up from 43% in 2016. Here, too, much of this change comes from a shift in opinion among whites. More than half of whites (52%) now see racial discrimination against blacks in how police use force, compared to just a third (36%) four years ago."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36992 on: June 06, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »

Cuomo shut-down New Rochelle in early March when the first evidence of the disease became apparent in NY

and he took a lot of shit for it

heh

Moron-whats funny about Cuomo making an effective executive decision (3/10/20) very quickly about reported outbreak of covid-19 cases in New Roc  and putting the effected area on lockdown to isolate the disease?

He put NYC on lockdown 10 days (3/20) later when cases started to grow.

On 3/20/20 there were about 170 cases reported in NYC.

He never called it a hoax or a political ploy.

He knew it was a disease and that action was needed.

I'm not sure how much sooner he could have shutdown the biggest city in the country absent data.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:34:17 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36993 on: June 06, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »

Everything you think you know about politics in 2020 no longer apply.

yeah.... should be a cakewalk from here.

All eyes shift to congressional races

I was wondering when we’d hear from Lady G’s favorite trick, the only one he doesn’t have to pay for company. Welcome back Kiid. Your bile was hardly missed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36994 on: June 06, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »

I think it's readily apparent to anyone thinking objectively and unbiased that both news sides are propaganda.

It's up to the individual to sift through it and come up with a reasonable approximation of the truth. If anyone expects either side to be unbiased then they spitting into the wind and get what they deserve. A self inflicted loogie in the puss.

Both sides?

When one side is blatantly lying it  makes the both sides arguments very unrealistic.

The GOP operates on a separate plane of reality.

“The aide said that guys like me [Ron Suskind] were in what we call the ‘reality-based community,’ which he defined as people who ‘believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.’ I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ‘That’s not the way the world really works anymore,’ he continued. ‘We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.’ ”
— The New York Times Magazine, October 2004

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:42:07 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #36995 on: June 06, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »

There are a few "straight news" services that are fairly unbiased,  at least in their news stories (as opposed to editorial divisions).   Thomson Reuters. Politico, AP,  PBS.  If such groups report stories that don't support the right wing narrative,  that's because reality doesn't, not because they're biased.   One strong indicator of independence is some form of firewall between newsroom and corporate.   Another is annual audits.   

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36996 on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »

America needs to find itself a new crop of Sheriffs and DAs from within the ranks of the BLM movement, along with progressive Mayors, city council people, and state legislators.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36997 on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »

I literally can't watch the Fox "News" presentation of events of the day as they know I know they're lieing and they just don't give a shit.

Fuehrer and balanced

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #36998 on: June 06, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »

Cap, both "sides" may be propaganda, but only one side distorts things so much that its watchers cannot identify what is going on.

I think the side you are not demonizing are just as bad with their propaganda. Not to say FOX isn't bad. But you may want to re-examine the side you think is so great. That is if you can do it objectively. And tht is really the hard part.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36999 on: June 06, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »

I’m very much looking forward to a full season of NFL players kneeling during the anthem.

Every time an American steps into the street to protest injustice, the baby cage around the White House gets a little tighter around the creatures it contains.

A policing reform bill hits congress Monday. March, register new voters, and get out the vote, and along the way formalize every concession made by those who don’t want to see the war on America by racist police and the fascists who hide behind them turn fully into a hot war and are willing to get better to bring an end to the American carnage all around us.

barton

« Reply #37000 on: June 06, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »

Cuomo decisions killed grandmas, with Fauci's help.

People are always saying this kind of thing where infectious diseases are concerned.   Every year,  officials make decisions on the release of flu shots,  school closings, nursing home regulations,  other public health measures... and because neither data nor bureaucratic structures are perfect,  grandmas are killed.   Every year,  tens of thousands of grandmas and grandpas die and some of those deaths are sooner than they might have been in a state of perfect governance and vigilance.   

People now live a decade or two beyond their natural death date,  because modern medicine is amazing in its support of the aging immune system and failing internal organs.   The 20th century was nothing short of a biological/medical revolution in which rich nations could spend billions to extend adult lifespans from 60 to 80.  In some nations to mid-80s (nice work,  Japan and Norway).   So,  yes,  every policy decision that falls short of perfection will cause people,  especially the elderly,  to die.   You know the policy decisions that take the most lifespan-years from people?   The ones that create air pollution,  substandard housing and healthcare, poor nutrition,  and don't heavily penalize tobacco use.   You can argue each of those areas of policy how you want,  but the statistics show it's poverty,  pollution, diet,  and smoking that are by far the biggest life shorteners. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37001 on: June 06, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »

Cap I think Fox distorts its news shows to further a politcal view. Ailes created Fox to protect and promote Republican interests. And thats what it does. And prime time talking heads (opinion not news), Hannity, Carlson, Ingrham are totally in the Trump bag. IMO there is no objectivity on prime time Fox. Again they know they're bullshitting but they don't care. They feed the base a lot of red meat even if it ultimately gives them heart disease.

MSNBC editorial take is almost a mirror political image, but I do not think they distort facts to shape it to a political view. They promote a liberal agenda. And they are selective in their presentations. But knowing the biases I still generally trust their take 

CNN is reasonably neutral in its presentation of facts but it does have an anti-Trump feel to it. but then again Trump has been trying to destroy dissent and free speech in this country for 3 years, and has bashed CNN as fake news, so a spirited defense is IMO warranted.

and I realize you can rationalize the MSNBC/Fox biases as a wash, but one is far more toxic than the other.

oilcan

« Reply #37002 on: June 06, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »

(...)
You can argue each of those areas of policy how you want,  but the statistics show it's poverty,  pollution, diet,  and smoking that are by far the biggest life shorteners.

I thought it was running with scissors and masturbation.  Man,  those nuns were just loaded with misinformation! 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37003 on: June 06, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »

I think the side you are not demonizing are just as bad with their propaganda. Not to say FOX isn't bad. But you may want to re-examine the side you think is so great. That is if you can do it objectively. And tht is really the hard part.

I think you are not hearing me.

I am not arguing great.

I am arguing that people outside the business tested it - not only one group, for all that I linked one group - and determined that watching Fox left people less knowledgeable than watching nothing, while the other stations - and they tested bunches - did not.

Are you claiming this is not so? Are you claiming that people watching the others are just as deceived? If so, on what basis?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37004 on: June 06, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/trump-weighs-drew-brees-apology-amid-national-anthem/story?id=71097603

"NO KNEELING!" dictates the president.

I am sure that will fix it.

Or as Senator Corker put it, 32 months ago:
It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:35:55 PM by josh »
Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 4288