Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998459 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37200 on: June 08, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »

Light tanks...

Eisenhower was also.  He was under MacArthur and thought it stupid for MacA to lead the shantytown smashing himself.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37201 on: June 08, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »

Trump and the Constitution

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I'm pretty sure Trump isn't pro-union, so that's problematic, although he likes Justice as long as he has a stooge like Barr running it and doling it out selctively, or ignoring it as he sees fit. And I'm pretty sure he hasn't paid the insurance premium on domestic tranquility in 3 years, so the policy is in default.

I think Powell was kind in suggesting Trump had drifted from the Constitution, Dictator Donnie has taken a hard right.

I'm getting a 2nd cup of java, so carry on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:36:00 AM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37202 on: June 08, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »

For a long time now -- basically since 9/11 and the Iraq War part II -- I've hated people using the term HEROES to characterize police and soldiers.  There's nothing heroic about doing a job that allows you to use indiscriminate force on civilians.  In some instances a policeman or soldier might do some good or even something heroic.  Great.  But a lot of them harass people because they can, intimidate people because they can and sometimes kill or injure people because they can. 

Soldiers much worse because the oversight is rather minimal and they tend to be pretty damn young and seriously heavily armed and often have little knowledge or sympathy for the citizens of the country they have invaded.  And soldiers in war zones or occupied territories are often afraid and not in the best psychological condition.

Reflexively calling all police and soldiers heroes unfortunately increases their sense of power, decreases oversight, and is basically another way the DEMS lost their way and became a center-right party supporting repression and force.  And this hero worship of uniformed force leads to largely unchecked budgets ($750B a year for the military under Trump; $530B under Obama), and the militarization of the police (made possible by their huge budgets and the military having a lot of surplus weaponry they give to local police).

Reduce the military; defund the police; set up social assistance bureaus that do the social service work that police now do that doesn't require any weapons; use the extra money to invest in health care and psychological services and public housing.
Take care of people, not just police and dominate them, and throw them in jail.\
Improve lives, don't harm them.

That HERO bullshit which covered abusive and corrupt cops as well as the good ones; which covered soldiers who shot and killed unarmed Iraqis or tortured folks in military prisons and other abuses of power and war crimes.  Always sickened me.  And the DEMS were complicit in this and signed on to a lot of wrong policies because of it.  Democrats becoming Republican Light never helps America and always leads to a day of reckoning.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37203 on: June 08, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »

I'm always amused how the GOPers profess love for the Constitution yet disdain for the Federal Gov't it set up.  Dems never call them on that.  If you're against the federal gov't, you're against the Constitution and you're against your country, the United States of America.  That's it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37204 on: June 08, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »

Trump is mocking Mitt for his sunday stroll and marching in unity with BLM.

His proposed unity speech about how he'll improve race relations and bringing us together should be must see TV.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37205 on: June 08, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »

I'm sort of all over the place today, but where's the music of protest?  Every mass movement and revolution needs music that befits the times.

I'm listening to Eugene McDaniel's Silent Majority and Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse right now, music that reportedly spooked and angered Spiro Agnew.
I've noted all throughout the Trump Error that a lot of the 60's protest and social consciousness songs are highly relevant.  From Marvin Gaye rapping about "trigger-happy policing" to Steppenwolf's Amerika/The Monster, hell even the Stones' Fingerprint File (about the surveillance state). 

But where's the music of BLM and this movement?  Where's the anti-Trump tuneage?  And I just too out of it to know what's going on?  Or has the music industry just been so broken and just a hollow money maker for stars that there's nothing in the pipeline?  Anybody tuned in and know what relevant music is coming out these days?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37207 on: June 08, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »

Dems always cave and compromise.
I was criticizing the other day the call for Biden to put a Republican in his cabinet.
And arguably, Obama selecting lifelong GOPer Comey as FBI director put Trump in the WH by submariner Hillary late in the campaign.

It never pays for Dems to become GOP light, to support police and military and big business.  Always just harms their constituency and emboldens and extends the Right.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37208 on: June 08, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »

I think Covid-19 kinda kicked the shit out of a lot of collaborative efforts, at least in the short-term. And as a lot of the performing arts is collaborative...

We'll probably get a lot of music about covid-19, BLM and racism very soon.

In the meantime i'd play a 60s early 70s playlist.

In the interim you can go with the Stones and Street Fighting Man

Ev'rywhere I hear the sound of marching charging feet, boy
 'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy

maybe too confrontational a little too antifa

there's 

Marvin Gaye's What's Going

Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #37209 on: June 08, 2020, 10:59:08 AM »

Over funding of the various police departments may be an issue. Just too many extra police to harass the little guy. "Idle hands are the devil's playthings." Both parties want the largest police departments possible but not needed.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #37210 on: June 08, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »

Ojays "Give the People What They Want"

Staple Singers "Freedom Highway"

"If I had a Hammer" (Pete Seeger,  et al)

And for those who want to be complacent and happy with status quo....

"Alright"  - Supergrass
(a 90s hit that sounds like a sixties Monkees song)

barton

« Reply #37211 on: June 08, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »

https://youtu.be/O7VaXlMvAvk

Wait for the final jeopardy question.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37212 on: June 08, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »

For a long time now -- basically since 9/11 and the Iraq War part II -- I've hated people using the term HEROES to characterize police and soldiers.  There's nothing heroic about doing a job that allows you to use indiscriminate force on civilians.  In some instances a policeman or soldier might do some good or even something heroic.  Great.  But a lot of them harass people because they can, intimidate people because they can and sometimes kill or injure people because they can. 

Soldiers much worse because the oversight is rather minimal and they tend to be pretty damn young and seriously heavily armed and often have little knowledge or sympathy for the citizens of the country they have invaded.  And soldiers in war zones or occupied territories are often afraid and not in the best psychological condition.

Reflexively calling all police and soldiers heroes unfortunately increases their sense of power, decreases oversight, and is basically another way the DEMS lost their way and became a center-right party supporting repression and force.  And this hero worship of uniformed force leads to largely unchecked budgets ($750B a year for the military under Trump; $530B under Obama), and the militarization of the police (made possible by their huge budgets and the military having a lot of surplus weaponry they give to local police).

Reduce the military; defund the police; set up social assistance bureaus that do the social service work that police now do that doesn't require any weapons; use the extra money to invest in health care and psychological services and public housing.
Take care of people, not just police and dominate them, and throw them in jail.\
Improve lives, don't harm them.

That HERO bullshit which covered abusive and corrupt cops as well as the good ones; which covered soldiers who shot and killed unarmed Iraqis or tortured folks in military prisons and other abuses of power and war crimes.  Always sickened me.  And the DEMS were complicit in this and signed on to a lot of wrong policies because of it.  Democrats becoming Republican Light never helps America and always leads to a day of reckoning.

Growing up in and around NYC we always thought NYPD and FDNY were a gang of racist, sexist bastards.

After 9/11 my perception shifted and realized they were a cadre of courageous, heroically brave - racist, sexist bastards.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37213 on: June 08, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »

Trump orders withdrawal of federal troops from my city.

Bowser not only stood up to the bully, she dunked on him and put his ass on a poster.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37214 on: June 08, 2020, 11:53:00 AM »

Dems always cave and compromise.
I was criticizing the other day the call for Biden to put a Republican in his cabinet.
And arguably, Obama selecting lifelong GOPer Comey as FBI director put Trump in the WH by submariner Hillary late in the campaign.

It never pays for Dems to become GOP light, to support police and military and big business.  Always just harms their constituency and emboldens and extends the Right.

I don't think it is fair to blame Prince Namor for what happened to Hillary.
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 4288