Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2490 2491 [2492] 2493 2494 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997649 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37365 on: June 09, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37366 on: June 09, 2020, 08:37:55 AM »

Defund the Police?

democrats are struggling with this one.

What say you Nancy Pelosi?

That’s a local decision,” Pelosi said, noting that they would have “those debates at the local level.”

Oh.
How about Kamala Harris?

We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America,” she said, noting that cities that direct “one-third of the budget to police” instead of “public schools, job training and job creation—come on. We have to be honest with this.”

LOL.
Jim Clyburn House democratic whip from South Carolina? he supports restructuring police departments to ensure resources are deployed to protect and serve all Americans equitably."

Thanks, Jim.

Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said that he did not support the movement and said that while he understands “the sentiment and the substance behind the slogan” of “defund the police,” he said, “it’s not a slogan I’ll use.”

Not much of a Spartacus moment.

Rep. Karen Bass, the leader of the influential Congressional Black Caucus, came out against slashing police budgets.” No, I don't believe that we should defund police departments.

Memo to all democrats outside the beltway:
You are on your own on this issue!
Some of them at least understand what the policy is. Unlike you  - although it is sometimes hard to tell if you are stupid or lying. Harris is essentially making the point.

It is discussed at the very end of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY#menu

All reasonable POV regarding the complexity of the issues surrounding reforming a system that is failing so many, including the police themselves. As opposed to "when the looting starts,the shooting starts" and the big pile of nothing that the GOP has offered.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37367 on: June 09, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »

Dorn was killed by criminals.  They have been caught and will be punished.  What's to protest?

Like with many matters, folks get upset when a certain side or the other does not speak out on each misstep by their brethren.

Trump suppoters - or you could categorize it differently - are more likely to say something about Dorn's death.  Never Trumpers will not speak on this - but it doesnt mean they condone the action.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #37368 on: June 09, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »

People are not protesting Floyd's death  but the toxic police culture and institutional racism that is behind it.  His.death is an example, a symbol, and a flash point.  Not the subject.
How convenient.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37369 on: June 09, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »

People are not protesting Floyd's death  but the toxic police culture and institutional racism that is behind it.  His.death is an example, a symbol, and a flash point.  Not the subject.
How convenient.
How true. And that is the only sardine you are getting from me on this subject.
A parrot bit me.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #37370 on: June 09, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #37371 on: June 09, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »

I think "national polls" are irrelevant
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37372 on: June 09, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »

Trump pushing via twitter OAN report-likely Russian inspired crazy conspiracy theory on police/old-guy in Buffalo.

Trump is getting more delusional and desperate by the day.

Repubs might want to dust-off the 25th anendment and get Pence lossening in the pen.

barton

« Reply #37373 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »

The Arbery case in Georgia was also part of the critical mass of recent killings that ignited the BLM protests.   The pursuit and confrontation of Arbery was spearheaded by a police officer who had just retired,  so the "citizen arrest" was very much driven by a toxic police culture, and resonates with the Floyd killing.   Other recent cases,  like the woman shot in her own apartment, were also tinder which the Minneapolis video put a match to.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37374 on: June 09, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality

That poll - some would call it an outlier - should right itself next week
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #37375 on: June 09, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »

The numbers are similar to ones by Bush the elder and Carter in 2nd term tries.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #37376 on: June 09, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

How convenient.
How true. And that is the only sardine you are getting from me on this subject.
Obviously.  Since science refutes your bias (along with common sense).

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37377 on: June 09, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »

Rasmussen for Tuesday Jun 9

-17/-11

same as 5/20.  Equal to Jan 2019 number.

Trump has come back from such a low.  But is there time in this instance?

(Overall low was -26, during first year)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #37378 on: June 09, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »

Bear in mind that the profile of a "likely voter" may be changing,  so polls based on past years projections of a likely voter may be off.   Rasmussen deserves careful scrutiny in this regard.   Millions of Americans are waking up to the dire necessity of voting a demented sociopath bigot out of office, along with his Senate enablers.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37379 on: June 09, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »

Like with many matters, folks get upset when a certain side or the other does not speak out on each misstep by their brethren.

Fuck off.  This wasn't a "misstep" by a BLM "brethren" it was an early morning robbery of a pawn shop.

Trump supporters will talk about Dorn's death because they want to distract from Trump's unconstitutional mishandling of the protests and his crass indifference to the deaths of black men at the hands of a police force tasked with, first and foremost, keeping our citizenry safe. 

Everyone else will talk about the issue at hand, because they aren't willing to make themselves look like idiots in order to defend their dear leader.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 2490 2491 [2492] 2493 2494 ... 4288