Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2521 2522 [2523] 2524 2525 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997677 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37830 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »

A parrot bit me.

barton

« Reply #37831 on: June 11, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37832 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »

The country’s top military official apologized on Thursday for taking part in President Trump’s walk across Lafayette Square for a photo op after authorities used tear gas and rubber bullets to clear the area of peaceful protesters.

“I should not have been there,” Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a prerecorded video commencement address to National Defense University. “My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/george-floyd-protests.html

I respect Milley for speaking out.  He got snookered by a bastard "president" into participating in a nakedly political photo-op the military should not have played a part in after peaceful protesters got gassed to clear the square.

But here is the thing; the perception of military involvement was entirely correct.  That very day Trump was pushing to have 10,000 troops on the street, only to be pulled back by his advisers.  So this is actually a case when the facade the Administration was putting up to try to tell the story it wanted to tell was actually leaving their true intentions naked for America to see.

And America didn't like what it saw.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #37833 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:42 AM »

I'd change the name of all military bases named after Confederate military leaders.  The only one I might keep is Fort Bragg which is named after perhaps the most incompetent general to ever wear a uniform.  I think changing that name to Fort Bragg-Trump makes sense.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37834 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »

Got to be deliberate that he's (a) having it in Tulsa

Nah - I think they picked it out of a hat.

Are you looking to deny Trump the right to campaign as he wishes now?

The "president" is free to send whatever message he chooses to.  And we are free to note what that message is.

For one of his most ardent supporters, you seem to be the only one not listening.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37835 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »

The "president" is free to send whatever message he chooses to.  And we are free to note what that message is.

For one of his most ardent supporters, you seem to be the only one not listening.

Check that.  I'm sure you hear the dog whistle loud and true.  You just don't have the courage of your convictions to admit it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37836 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

I'd change the name of all military bases named after Confederate military leaders.  The only one I might keep is Fort Bragg which is named after perhaps the most incompetent general to ever wear a uniform.  I think changing that name to Fort Bragg-Trump makes sense.

My response to the news was "there are military bases named after Confederate military leaders?  Why the fuck is that?"

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37837 on: June 11, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »

Check that.  I'm sure you hear the dog whistle loud and true.  You just don't have the courage of your convictions to admit it.

Checking myself again; I shouldn't have said that holding a fascist campaign rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth is a dog whistle.  Its a fucking trumpet.

We knew this already, of course, but only more clear that Trump's 2020 plan is to rally the base, screw the rest of the country.  We are in for a very very ugly five months.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #37838 on: June 11, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »

Jefferson raped at least one of his slaves and she bore six of his children.

The historians debate the nature of his relationship with Hemmings.   While most agree now on evidence of the paternity,  I think the rape part remains conjectural. 

Edit:  fucking auto-correct
I think the issue would be the impossibility of mutual consent in a sexual relationship with someone you own.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #37839 on: June 11, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »

While it is true that Braxton Bragg contributed immeasurably to the Union success in the west, fairness compels me to note that during WW II there was also a Fort Burnside.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37840 on: June 11, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »

The head of Trump's Coronavirus task force posts picture of his campaign staff flagrantly violating Virginia Coronavirus health guidelines:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/politics/mike-pence-2020-election-coronavirus/index.html

But keep telling me these are good people.

(For second day in a row, note how they put the Black dude up front...)

barton

« Reply #37841 on: June 11, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »

Jefferson raped at least one of his slaves and she bore six of his children.

The historians debate the nature of his relationship with Hemmings.   While most agree now on evidence of the paternity,  I think the rape part remains conjectural. 

Edit:  fucking auto-correct
I think the issue would be the impossibility of mutual consent in a sexual relationship with someone you own.

I get that.   I'd be reluctant to jump into that issue with a narrative of Tom and Sally and their deep mutual romantic love.   If rape is defined as a sex act with any sort of coercion, vs the older definition as a violent assault, then Echo may be right.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #37842 on: June 11, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »

While it is true that Braxton Bragg contributed immeasurably to the Union success in the west, fairness compels me to note that during WW II there was also a Fort Burnside.
Confederates did not claim a monopoly on incompetent generals.  There were legion on both sides.  While Burnside wasn't much of a General he did leave a lasting impact on American society.

"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #37843 on: June 11, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »

Confederates did not claim a monopoly on incompetent generals.  There were legion on both sides.  While Burnside wasn't much of a General he did leave a lasting impact on American society.
Yes, that was seriously influential facial hair.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37844 on: June 11, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2521 2522 [2523] 2524 2525 ... 4288