Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2520 2521 [2522] 2523 2524 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997672 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37815 on: June 11, 2020, 04:58:50 AM »

Trump to reboot campaign with a rally in TULSA on June 19.

Just when you think the motherfucker can’t go any lower he always does.

This is worse than Reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi.

JEEZ
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #37816 on: June 11, 2020, 05:02:33 AM »

Despite having been an active slave holder for 56 years, George Washington...……….

#####

Wanna retain his monuments...I'd guard them well...he could well be next.

Ditto Jefferson monuments.

Ditto Lincoln monuments, they might find something wrong with him too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:10:23 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37817 on: June 11, 2020, 05:29:07 AM »

Despite having been an active slave holder for 56 years, George Washington...……….

#####

Ditto Lincoln monuments, they might something wrong with him too.

Both Washington and Jefferson have problematic histories, Bambi. You just don't get it - this country was built on the backs of the slaves and on the bodies of the natives.

You think it's a thing to joke about, but it isn't. Nor is this new information or suddenly relevant. US history teachers worth their salt have been discussing it in their classes for years and maybe decades.

Jefferson raped at least one of his slaves and she bore six of his children.

He freed her four surviving children upon his death, the only slaves of his that he freed. Washington freed all of his (but did not have the right to free others working at Mt. Vernon).

If you want to sully Lincoln's name, you'll need a different track. He's got some historical issues, but this isn't one of them.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #37818 on: June 11, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »

#####

Ditto Lincoln monuments, they might something wrong with him too.

Both Washington and Jefferson have problematic histories, Bambi. You just don't get it - this country was built on the backs of the slaves and on the bodies of the natives.

You think it's a thing to joke about, but it isn't. Nor is this new information or suddenly relevant. US history teachers worth their salt have been discussing it in their classes for years and maybe decades.

He freed her four surviving children upon his death, the only slaves of his that he freed. Washington freed all of his (but did not have the right to free others working at Mt. Vernon).

If you want to sully Lincoln's name, you'll need a different track. He's got some historical issues, but this isn't one of them.

You didn't comprehend what I wrote.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37819 on: June 11, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »

Everyone wants the same thing. No matter their culture.

That's just not true, beyond Maslow's bottom tier.

Just a simple single example:

There are people who would rather get less money if it means being ahead of their neighbors than get more money but have it be the same as their neighbors get.

I find that personally unfathomable, but reluctantly admit that it seems to be true. But it sure is a divergence from "the same thing!"

Perhaps I should be more clear. Everyone wants ready access to quality health care, housing, education, steady income, security, and a future for their children. But I understand the notion behind John Prine's song, "Some Humans Ain't Human", too. (Song found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWotODqidE)

I think that the way forward for our country is to acknowledge the needs of everyone, and to consider everyone as worthy of having those needs met and in fair and just ways. Our system allows for great debate on just how to do so, and I believe that setting the goal of providing fair access to those things I just mentioned in the last paragraph is what needs to take place.

That's what Biden has to do. George H. W. Bush called it "the vision thing". Setting that vision for all is far more important to gathering the nation together, IMO, than strictly attacking the dark forces of Trump.

Come on.

America told Obama to get that shit out of here.

White America has consistently voted Republican against their own interests because they think the policies will deny access to minorities who do only want free stuff.
They feel they should get the same policies because they have either earned them or they deserve them When the policies they voted against don’t benefit them, either they blame it on the mooches and takers of the “inner city.”

Remember when Trump shut down the government (ever notice how many times in the GOP closed down the government or default on our debts to get their way?) and when the pain hit a woman whose husband was in service and therefore getting boned, she complained Trump wasn’t hurting the people he’s supposed to hurt!

LBJ once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you. Give him someone to blame and he’ll lick your pecker and tickle your bunghole!”

Are you saying things won't change because "White America" is too committed to racism to change?

I’m saying things haven’t changed because WHITE AMERICA has been too committed to racism to change.

I’ve said several times over the last two weeks I have never been this hopeful for 5he future in my entire adult life.

Yes, haven't changed. But I believe it can change, and perhaps there is much more will to have it change than perhaps either of us may know.

But it starts with each of us. You and me and all other Americans, not just a portion of America.

Vote.

Fuck me...

Did you see yesterday’s primaries?

I won't apologize for being optimistic about my fellow Americans.

You can afford to be optimistic all the time.

I tell you I’m more hopeful NOW than at any time in my adult life and you keep making it all about YOU.

You don’t hear shit if you don’t listen.

Meanwhile, in the USA the GOP is practicing to suppress the vote.

Gee. I've tried to be respectful during our conversation. Please try to reciprocate.

I hear your anger. I hear your frustration. I hear your pain. And I empathize.

But it's not yours alone. I hate to see do much discord in my country.

I'm looking for ways to advance how we treat each other.

So I'm asking you to consider a softer tone when you respond to me. Softer. Not conciliatory. Say what you need to say, but try to write as respectfully as I'm sure you'd like to be addressed.

You just told me you don’t like my tone.

Noted.

Fuck that.

I’ve earned the right to be a.crotchety old bastard.

Perhaps you have earned that right. But, I'm asking you to consider that your "right" is undermining your message. Call it "self-defeating" behavior. Anyway, despite  the coarse exterior I can sense a warm heart within.

Be well.

Then you don’t hear what I’m saying you only hear I am not giving you proper deference to police myself so as not to make you uncomfortable.

That’s not my problem

Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37820 on: June 11, 2020, 06:48:14 AM »

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/trump-demands-seattle-officials-take-back-cop-free-protest-zone/

“Radical Left Governor @JayInslee and the Mayor of Seattle are being taunted and played at a level that our great Country has never seen before,” Trump wrote. “Take back your city NOW. If you don’t do it, I will. This is not a game. These ugly Anarchists must be stooped [sic] IMMEDIATELY. MOVE FAST!”

“A man who is totally incapable of governing should stay out of Washington state’s business. ‘Stoop’ tweeting,” Inslee wrote on Twitter.

This exchange made me think of some great songs.

Here's few, but I'm sure many of you have others that come to mind.

The Supremes "Stoop In the Name of Love"

The Rolling Stones' song or Fleetwood Mac's song "Don't Stoop"

John Mayer's "Stoop This Train"

journey "Don't Stoop Believin'"

Creedence "Who'll Stoop the Rain?"

Kinks "Nothing in the World Can Stoop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl"

Okay, I need to stoop.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37821 on: June 11, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37822 on: June 11, 2020, 07:46:06 AM »

Jefferson Davis tripped and fell ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37823 on: June 11, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »

The AP and Politico have been doing a lot of good work this year.

Deep in an AP article about Trump being mostly a bystander in the ongoing  racial discussion:

Trump has long had a strained relationship with African Americans. The Justice Department sued him and his father in the early 1970s for discriminating against black housing applicants, for years he pushed the false claim that President Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States, and in private discussions with White House aides he referred to Haiti and African nations as “shithole” countries.

Entirely factual, and that rotten history shouldn't be forgotten.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37824 on: June 11, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37825 on: June 11, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »

No riot gear. No “hold the line” stance.

THIS. IS. AMERICA

https://twitter.com/itssdunke/status/1270386352161505283?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37826 on: June 11, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »

Got to be deliberate that he's (a) having it in Tulsa

Nah - I think they picked it out of a hat.

Are you looking to deny Trump the right to campaign as he wishes now?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37827 on: June 11, 2020, 08:57:51 AM »

Jefferson Davis tripped and fell ...

Get em all!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:50:49 AM by kiidcarter8 »

barton

« Reply #37828 on: June 11, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »

The historians debate the nature of his relationship with Hemmings.   While most agree now on evidence of the paternity,  I think the rape part remains conjectural. 

Edit:  fucking auto-correct
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:44:26 AM by barton »

barton

« Reply #37829 on: June 11, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »

The AP and Politico have been doing a lot of good work this year.

Deep in an AP article about Trump being mostly a bystander in the ongoing  racial discussion:

Trump has long had a strained relationship with African Americans. The Justice Department sued him and his father in the early 1970s for discriminating against black housing applicants, for years he pushed the false claim that President Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States, and in private discussions with White House aides he referred to Haiti and African nations as “shithole” countries.

Entirely factual, and that rotten history shouldn't be forgotten.

If you can access Dana Milbank in The Post this morning, I think you're in for a treat.
Pages: 1 ... 2520 2521 [2522] 2523 2524 ... 4288