Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2515 2516 [2517] 2518 2519 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997937 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37740 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »

This is an example of how "All Lives Matter" is used by racists, not by people who actually mean that all lives matter:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/us/all-lives-matter-reenact-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-trnd/index.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37741 on: June 10, 2020, 06:02:19 PM »

I was trying to get the facts straight with regards to the officers.

How long they were officers will matter to their defense, as can be seen by the lawyers bringing it up.  It makes their deference appear more reasonable and them more sympathetic to a jury. 

From what I saw of the videos, the two rookie officers did an entirely credible job of dealing with Mr. Floyd, until the time Chauvin showed up, pulled Floyd out of the police vehicle and pinned him down.  Assisting him with that could be deemed reasonable as well, though you don't need three officers to pin a guy who is handcuffed behind his back and not resisting.  While deferring to a superior officer is normal as well.   So most or all of their actions can be portrayed as reasonable.  Meaning they were trying to be responsible police.

It really comes down to the length of time they helped pin Floyd, and whether they knew exactly what Chauvin was doing (how much pressure, where, etc).  They'll probably also say they relied on Chauvin's partner a 9 year vet who presumably knew Chauvin well, to monitor the situation and keep things under control.   Though that could depend on if their trials are together or separate and what Tao testifies to. 

The two rook officers certainly heard Floyd's distress and bystanders complain of the harm being done.  That audio plus obviously the video is the evidence that damns them.  3 guys pinning a handcuffed man face down for such a long time is unreasonable and certainly bad judgment.  I'm not sure what standard will be used, perhaps gross negligence.  And before you can charge anyone with aiding and abetting 2nd degree murder, I assume you need to prove the 2nd degree murder charge first. 

I certainly wouldn't want to be a policeman who gets sent to jail.  Especially Chauvin in such a notorious case.  I assume if convicted he wouldn't be mixed with the regular prison population, because he wouldn't last too long that way.

A number of time Officer Lane tried to get Chauvin to consider rolling Floyd on his side

Check video of attorney with CNN's Cuomo if you can find it.

The contention was also that yes, they needed to pin his legs

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37742 on: June 10, 2020, 06:03:43 PM »

“Not all Governors trusted their people, but I did. Different paths mean people have different choices, and South Dakota chose common sense solutions.

'Except for our Native American residents, who I did not trust and whose different paths I attempted to stymie.'
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37743 on: June 10, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »

Typhoid Kristi has opinions. How nice for her.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37745 on: June 10, 2020, 06:14:48 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/politics/donald-trump-army-bases-renaming/index.html

Trump opposes renaming military bases with Confederacy names.

This is an example of why any "racial tensions" roundtable or speech by Trump should be largely ignored.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37746 on: June 10, 2020, 06:19:23 PM »

NASCAR joins the USMC in banning the confederate flag.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ee14983c5b67927a8aae647

Trump’s leadership doesn’t seem to carry much weight these days, at least not as much as his shoes carry.

Seeing trump get lapped by history after a series of left turns is actually quite exhilarating.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37747 on: June 10, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-wants-his-own-america.html

Trump, like Covid, unchecked only gets worse over time.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37748 on: June 10, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »

http://www.dcreport.org/2020/06/10/everything-he-says-is-bullshit/

Trump, like Covid, unchecked only gets worse over time.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37749 on: June 10, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »

Everyone wants the same thing. No matter their culture.

That's just not true, beyond Maslow's bottom tier.

Just a simple single example:

There are people who would rather get less money if it means being ahead of their neighbors than get more money but have it be the same as their neighbors get.

I find that personally unfathomable, but reluctantly admit that it seems to be true. But it sure is a divergence from "the same thing!"

Perhaps I should be more clear. Everyone wants ready access to quality health care, housing, education, steady income, security, and a future for their children. But I understand the notion behind John Prine's song, "Some Humans Ain't Human", too. (Song found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWotODqidE)

I think that the way forward for our country is to acknowledge the needs of everyone, and to consider everyone as worthy of having those needs met and in fair and just ways. Our system allows for great debate on just how to do so, and I believe that setting the goal of providing fair access to those things I just mentioned in the last paragraph is what needs to take place.

That's what Biden has to do. George H. W. Bush called it "the vision thing". Setting that vision for all is far more important to gathering the nation together, IMO, than strictly attacking the dark forces of Trump.

Come on.

America told Obama to get that shit out of here.

White America has consistently voted Republican against their own interests because they think the policies will deny access to minorities who do only want free stuff.
They feel they should get the same policies because they have either earned them or they deserve them When the policies they voted against don’t benefit them, either they blame it on the mooches and takers of the “inner city.”

Remember when Trump shut down the government (ever notice how many times in the GOP closed down the government or default on our debts to get their way?) and when the pain hit a woman whose husband was in service and therefore getting boned, she complained Trump wasn’t hurting the people he’s supposed to hurt!

LBJ once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you. Give him someone to blame and he’ll lick your pecker and tickle your bunghole!”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37751 on: June 10, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »

Everyone wants the same thing. No matter their culture.

That's just not true, beyond Maslow's bottom tier.

Just a simple single example:

There are people who would rather get less money if it means being ahead of their neighbors than get more money but have it be the same as their neighbors get.

I find that personally unfathomable, but reluctantly admit that it seems to be true. But it sure is a divergence from "the same thing!"

Perhaps I should be more clear. Everyone wants ready access to quality health care, housing, education, steady income, security, and a future for their children. But I understand the notion behind John Prine's song, "Some Humans Ain't Human", too. (Song found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWotODqidE)

I think that the way forward for our country is to acknowledge the needs of everyone, and to consider everyone as worthy of having those needs met and in fair and just ways. Our system allows for great debate on just how to do so, and I believe that setting the goal of providing fair access to those things I just mentioned in the last paragraph is what needs to take place.

That's what Biden has to do. George H. W. Bush called it "the vision thing". Setting that vision for all is far more important to gathering the nation together, IMO, than strictly attacking the dark forces of Trump.

Come on.

America told Obama to get that shit out of here.

White America has consistently voted Republican against their own interests because they think the policies will deny access to minorities who do only want free stuff.
They feel they should get the same policies because they have either earned them or they deserve them When the policies they voted against don’t benefit them, either they blame it on the mooches and takers of the “inner city.”

Remember when Trump shut down the government (ever notice how many times in the GOP closed down the government or default on our debts to get their way?) and when the pain hit a woman whose husband was in service and therefore getting boned, she complained Trump wasn’t hurting the people he’s supposed to hurt!

LBJ once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you. Give him someone to blame and he’ll lick your pecker and tickle your bunghole!”

Are you saying things won't change because "White America" is too committed to racism to change?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37752 on: June 10, 2020, 07:01:58 PM »

Are you saying things won't change because "White America" is too committed to racism to change?

http://www.vox.com/2020/6/10/21284651/new-york-times-tom-cotton-media-liberal-conservative-black-lives-matter

Change is on. Like most social changes, it’s a response to an inexorable change in the environment.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37753 on: June 10, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »

Brown and King have retained an attorney who said DPD needs to change their behavior and their policies surrounding the use of pepper ball rounds.

Well, there you have it...

15 minutes of fame and cha-ching!

You are such a miserable bastard.

If the cops lit you up for no reason you would say, hey! No problem?

The dude begged them to keep shooting his car

And now will try to profit from it.

Who the fuck brings his pregnant wife to a protest zone at night to do Doordash?

Have you ever had to grind?

One drives one drops. Work flow. No time lost parking.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37754 on: June 10, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »

Trump holds roundtable on race relations

FOX covered it.

Doesn't seem anyone else cared to.

Bow wow
Neigh

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2515 2516 [2517] 2518 2519 ... 4288