Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2528 2529 [2530] 2531 2532 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998128 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37935 on: June 11, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37936 on: June 11, 2020, 09:19:42 PM »

NYT and other outlets announce that the GOP won't change its platform for 2020.

G.O.P. Platform, Rolled Over From 2016, Condemns the ‘Current President’

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37938 on: June 11, 2020, 09:26:19 PM »

The criticism was for hypocrisy. If you were going to stop complaining about tone policing, that's fine. But continuing to complain about the accusation while engaging in what you objected to was funny!

So, you prefer a nastier tone?

While I am pretty sure that that is a very warped interpretation of anything I have said, I will try to communicate with you in clear, exact terms:

1) As a general rule, I prefer a less nasty tone.

However,
2) As a specific rule, I think criticizing oppressed people for using less restrained language to discuss issues surrounding their oppression is oppressive.

3) I think telling said oppressed people that they would have more support if only they posted about it in nicer language is at best disingenuous.

Further
4) Claiming that they are making you less likely to support their cause by their language is more indicative of the claimant's moral weakness than it is of any failure by the user of said language.

5) I find faux-politeness to be far more offensive than I find most so-called objectionable language.

I see. You've overinterpreted my remarks, seeing in them that which was neither said nor implied.
Perhaps you should examine your own need to create unnecessary arguments. Or are you just hear to save the oppressed from further oppression?

Tell me. Who among us on this forum are the truly oppressed, and I'll be sure to follow your guidelines for speaking to those poor souls.

As for "faux politeness", I have no iidea what you mean by that. Either you're paranoid, have suffered some undue trauma in your life, or you've never actually experienced real conversation.

You may continue, but I believe there's nothing left for me to say to you, since clearly you've made a firm choice, preferring the nastier tone of discourse, thus impairing your message and certainly adding to your apparent lack of reading comprehension.

You asked a general question.

You've chosen to think it is specifically aimed at you. Your choice.

And if you don't think Larry is oppressed, think again.

So, Larry is the oppressed one. Got it. Anyone else? I want to make a list so I don't stray from your special guidelines.

Your choice was getting in over your head.

Try to improve.

There are times, if you truly want to learn something of which you don’t understand for you have no frame of reference upon which to draw,  it would help to keep the discussion civil if you’d just shut up and listen so as to hear what you’re responding to.

I used to lay out rational arguments by the yard accompanied by links to fact based sources and relate things from my perspective and why I saw it that way.

Who has that kind of time anymore?

You were so busy trying to make me speak in a respectable tone you failed to consider what I was saying.

If you are not a black person in America you have no idea the compromises we make so as not get killed.

You demand respect and then joke about the president rebooting his campaign on the anniversary of the final day of slavery in the USA in the a place where a thriving black community was destroyed and hundreds murdered at the hands of whites people.

Al Sharpton.

Fuck off.

I gave you several chances to act like a true gentleman.  You've chosen to do otherwise.

And I'm on your side of the issues here.

So be it. You'd rather lash out, then do it.

All I have to say is that I hope you find
Peace, brother.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:31:41 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37939 on: June 11, 2020, 09:31:36 PM »

The criticism was for hypocrisy. If you were going to stop complaining about tone policing, that's fine. But continuing to complain about the accusation while engaging in what you objected to was funny!

While I am pretty sure that that is a very warped interpretation of anything I have said, I will try to communicate with you in clear, exact terms:

However,
2) As a specific rule, I think criticizing oppressed people for using less restrained language to discuss issues surrounding their oppression is oppressive.

3) I think telling said oppressed people that they would have more support if only they posted about it in nicer language is at best disingenuous.

Further
4) Claiming that they are making you less likely to support their cause by their language is more indicative of the claimant's moral weakness than it is of any failure by the user of said language.

5) I find faux-politeness to be far more offensive than I find most so-called objectionable language.

I see. You've overinterpreted my remarks, seeing in them that which was neither said nor implied.
Perhaps you should examine your own need to create unnecessary arguments. Or are you just hear to save the oppressed from further oppression?

Tell me. Who among us on this forum are the truly oppressed, and I'll be sure to follow your guidelines for speaking to those poor souls.

As for "faux politeness", I have no iidea what you mean by that. Either you're paranoid, have suffered some undue trauma in your life, or you've never actually experienced real conversation.

You may continue, but I believe there's nothing left for me to say to you, since clearly you've made a firm choice, preferring the nastier tone of discourse, thus impairing your message and certainly adding to your apparent lack of reading comprehension.

So, Larry is the oppressed one. Got it. Anyone else? I want to make a list so I don't stray from your special guidelines.

Try to improve.

There are times, if you truly want to learn something of which you don’t understand for you have no frame of reference upon which to draw,  it would help to keep the discussion civil if you’d just shut up and listen so as to hear what you’re responding to.

I used to lay out rational arguments by the yard accompanied by links to fact based sources and relate things from my perspective and why I saw it that way.

You were so busy trying to make me speak in a respectable tone you failed to consider what I was saying.

If you are not a black person in America you have no idea the compromises we make so as not get killed.

You demand respect and then joke about the president rebooting his campaign on the anniversary of the final day of slavery in the USA in the a place where a thriving black community was destroyed and hundreds murdered at the hands of whites people.

Al Sharpton.

Fuck off.

I gave you several chances to act like a true gentleman.  You've chosen to do otherwise.

So be it.

Peace, brother.

Your magnanimity is amazing.

You haven't acted like a true gentleman once throughout this, so I don't know that you are qualified to judge him about it.

You stated " Who among us on this forum are the truly oppressed, and I'll be sure to follow your guidelines for speaking to those poor souls," but that was just words on a page. A "true gentleman" would have stuck to his word, if he even needed to.

There was no chance that you would and in your latest response to Larry you illustrate the point.

Or as you would put it, "you were given a chance to keep your commitment. You chose otherwise."

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37940 on: June 11, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »

Sorry, while you were posting, I was amending my post to Larry.

Bad timing, I guess.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37941 on: June 11, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »

Sorry, while you were posting, I was amending my post to Larry.

Bad timing, I guess.

Oh well. If you think you're on his side, I again refer you to the mirror.

You've made it clear you don't think he's suffering from oppression.

How the FUCK does that make you on his side?!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37942 on: June 11, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »

“Pepper spray is not a chemical irritant. It’s not chemical.”

— Attorney General William P. Barr, during an interview on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” June 7, 2020

Here’s the full exchange between Barr and interviewer Margaret Brennan.

BRENNAN: There were chemical irritants, the Park Police has said —
BARR: No, there were not chemical irritants. Pepper spray is not a chemical irritant. It’s not chemical.
BRENNAN: Pepper spray, you’re saying is what was used —
BARR: Pepper balls. Pepper balls.

But this is simply wrong. PepperBall’s website declares: “With multiple payload options and a proprietary chemical irritant that’s proven more effective from even greater distances, PepperBall® projectiles offer the protection and versatility for any situation.” (The company did not respond to a request for comment.)[/size]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:38:17 PM by Echo4 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37943 on: June 11, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »

Btw, Echo. It seems you are quite comfortable with Larry being oppressed. Perhaps that serves some purpose for you. Is it important for you to see Larry as downtrodden? Because he seems quite capable of standing up for himself.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37944 on: June 11, 2020, 09:40:40 PM »

However,

Further

Try to improve.

Al Sharpton.

Fuck off.

And I'm on your side of the issues here.

So be it. You'd rather lash out, then do it.

All I have to say is that I hope you find
Peace, brother.

And the horse you rode in on.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37945 on: June 11, 2020, 09:42:24 PM »

Moving on....“Trump has basically had a one-point plan: Open businesses,” Biden said Thursday at an economic roundtable in Philadelphia, where he announced a plan to reopen the economy. “It does nothing to keep workers safe, to keep businesses able to stay open, and secondly it does very little to increase consumer confidence.”

If elected, Biden promised, among other things, to guarantee testing and protective equipment for people called back to work while prohibiting discrimination against elderly Americans and anyone else who is at high risk of contracting the virus. He also wants to use federal funds to ensure paid leave for anyone who falls ill or cares for those who do.

He proposed a national contact tracing workforce or “job corps” of at least 100,000 to call people who test positive, track down their contacts and get them into quarantine. That figure — at least 100,000 — aligns with an estimate from the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. Health experts agree that contact tracing is crucial to slowing the spread of the virus and that there aren’t enough public health workers today to achieve what’s needed.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/biden-steps-up-campaign-lays-out-his-own-economic-reopening-plan-2020-06-11

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37946 on: June 11, 2020, 09:43:57 PM »

Btw, Echo. It seems you are quite comfortable with Larry being oppressed. Perhaps that serves some purpose for you. Is it important for you to see Larry as downtrodden? Because he seems quite capable of standing up for himself.

Like I said, you are not on his side.

Thank you for putting it in bold, large font metaphorically.

Being able to stand up for oneself has nothing to do with whether or not one is oppressed. That's an asinine position.

One definition of downtrodden includes "without hope," but not most of them.

Larry wrote, "If you are not a black person in America you have no idea the compromises we make so as not get killed."

Does that sound like he thinks he is not oppressed?

YOU are one of the oppressors. You just are in denial about your role as "on his side." With friends like you, who the fuck needs enemies?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37947 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »

I have more faith that you can catch up to the conversation going on around you than I do in your willingness to catch up to that conversation.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37948 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »

Echo is saying you’re full of shit.

You’re “on my side” but only if I Police my tone.

Have a seat
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37949 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:46 PM »

BTW, UNO. It seems you are quite insistent that Larry is not being oppressed. Perhaps that serves some purpose for you. Is it important for you to see Larry as not downtrodden? Because he seems quite capable of telling you how he is, while standing up for himself.
Pages: 1 ... 2528 2529 [2530] 2531 2532 ... 4288