Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2535 2536 [2537] 2538 2539 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997471 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38040 on: June 12, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »

And had there been no protests, you would not have wandered in here to bemoan the shooting of George Floyd just as you didn't join us to express outrage at the police shooting of Breonna Taylor or the execution of Ahmaud Arbery.

Something else notable that underscores the need for protest; no one is defending the killing of David Dorn.  No one thinks it was justifiable, no one questions that the perpetrators of this violence should be locked up.  No one here.  No one in BLM.  No one in the community where this violence happened.

On the other side, the Minneapolis Police Union issued a defense of David Chauvin.  His lawyer is on the networks defending his actions.  And this happens over and over with the killings of Black men.  Not only when they are killed by the police.  You all don’t need me to give you examples.  And not only with black men.  The 75 year old in Buffalo (still in critical condition)…cops quit in protest of the arrest of the men who pushed him down, and crowded the outside of the courthouse where they were arraigned to support them.   And our “president” embraces conspiracy theories to waive it away.

THAT IS WHAT WE ARE PROTESTING.  The institutional defense of extrajudicial killings.  And exactly what makes the two killings very, very different.

Preach on & repost this everywhere.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38041 on: June 12, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1271445038980096000

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1271445418816176130

Bolton's book argues "that the House committed impeachment malpractice by keeping their prosecution focused narrowly on Ukraine when Trump’s Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy. And he "documents exactly what those were."

I'll look forward to reading about them.  And will not be surprised by anything I read.  Neither will House Democrats, I imagine, whose malpractice lays in their never forcing Bolton to testify to them.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38042 on: June 12, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1271445038980096000

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1271445418816176130

Bolton's book argues "that the House committed impeachment malpractice by keeping their prosecution focused narrowly on Ukraine when Trump’s Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy. And he "documents exactly what those were."

I'll look forward to reading about them.  And will not be surprised by anything I read.  Neither will House Democrats, I imagine, whose malpractice lays in their never forcing Bolton to testify to them.

It would still be in the courts.

barton

« Reply #38043 on: June 12, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »

Not that there is not some amusement in seeing cap agree with his old CFB forum pal JimmStateSkippy, but they have both been selling the line that the protests were somehow about one death.

The one death thing is specious generally,  given that any wrongful death done by the State is a reflection of a larger dysfunction.  Sacco and Vanzetti were just two guys,  but their trial and execution galvanized massive protests and then progress against anti-Italian and anti-immigrant biases.  It woke up good people and focused action.

In 1927, protests on their behalf were held in every major city in North America and Europe, as well as in Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Montevideo, Johannesburg, and Auckland (I looked it up,  yes).   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38044 on: June 12, 2020, 01:20:36 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/politics/cnn-poll-reactions-angry-hopeful/index.html

ETA: Actual poll results: http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/06/12/rel7a.-.reactions.pdf

The surprise for me is who is more hopeful vs. who is more angry.

Thoughts?

Almost seven in 10 Americans say they've felt hopeful as well as angry over the last few weeks as mass demonstrations against racial injustice have roiled the United States, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, with significant differences reported depending on political party and race.

The last two weeks have been a tumultuous time in the US. The killing of George Floyd on Memorial Day has sparked protests nationwide over police brutality and racism against black Americans.
While majorities in both parties felt hopeful and angry over the past two weeks, a much larger number of Republicans said they were hopeful (80% of Republicans and 63% of Democrats) and significantly more Democrats reported being angry (77% of Democrats and 55% of Republicans).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:24:25 PM by Echo4 »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38045 on: June 12, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »

From Simon & Schuster's preview:

What Bolton saw astonished him: a president for whom getting reelected was the only thing that mattered, even if it meant endangering or weakening the nation.  "I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn't driven by reelection calculations," he writes.  In fact, he argues that the House committed impeachment malpractice by keeping their prosecution focused narrowly on Ukraine when Trump's Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy-and Bolton documents exactly what those were, and attempts by him and others in the Administration to raise alarms about them.

Like I said, I am unsurprised.  Trump has never been our "president."
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38047 on: June 12, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »

Lindsey supports Milley's apology.

So glad to hear that, while he abuses the declassification of intelligence documents to launch a sham investigation of his friend Joe Biden in order to try to get our con-man of a "president" reelected.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38048 on: June 12, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38049 on: June 12, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

Ohio state senator blames coronavirus pandemic on ‘colored’ people not washing their hands
The American Civil Liberties Union is calling for an Ohio Republican state senator to resign or be fired after he questioned whether “the colored population” contracted coronavirus because they do not wash their hands.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/06/ohio-gop-state-senator-fired-from-er-doctor-job-after-using-racist-language.html

Still a state senator, but no longer working as an ER doctor, at least not at that hospital.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38050 on: June 12, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »

I'm still stunned that Trump lied about not having any business dealings with Russia while he was negotiating a Moscow mega-project that would require Putin's blessing -- and Trump paid no price for this.  (the latter part is what shocks me).

And then once in office Trump is oh so gentle with Putin.
The list of gifts to Putin is long.  Off the top of my head:
- trying to get Russia back into the G7/8.
- pulling thousands of US troops out of Germany
- raising oil prices
- no/minimal investigation of Russian election interference
- jerking around the Ukraine President
- pretending Ukraine hacked the Dems, not Russia
- not giving two shits about Crimea
- heaping praise on Putin frequently
did Trump try to ease sanctions on Russia ?
There's likely more.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38051 on: June 12, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »

Remeber when Trump's presidency started and Melania stayed back in NYC for a while?  She said she needed to care for Baron.  Apparently that was her purpose, as a new book says that she took that time to renegotiate her pre-nup so baron would be an equal heir. 

Seems like a nice little power play.  She knew that Trump would need her to come to DC for both his sanity and general PR.  Also a lot of ugliness came out how Trump was paying off hookers and such.   So Melania reportedly decided to improve her stakeholding.   I guess she knew that post-presidency Trump could be worth a lot more and might not live too much longer.

The book says that they are alike, both loners and calculating and image conscious.
A rather Trumpian business move by Melania while she had leverage.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38052 on: June 12, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »

Shame that you good people don't watch FOX, thus missed the POTUS interview with Ms. Faulkner.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38053 on: June 12, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

You know, i'm getting tired of all this winning ....
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38054 on: June 12, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2535 2536 [2537] 2538 2539 ... 4288